Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What family car for a grand?
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

Due to GF getting a new job, we need to sell the scooter and replace it with another car.

It needs a reasonable boot to fit in shopping plus pram, but isn't going to be a bike carrier etc as well as we have an estate for big journeys, and pref 4 door, unless the seats go as well forward as they do in a Golf, in which case 2 door would be ok.

We were thinking of a Focus, but there isn’t much choice at a grand, and we can’t spend any more than that.

Ps anyone want to buy a scooter 😉

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Mondeo

br
    Free Member

Mondeo/Vectra

wwaswas

I'd be looking at a Golf.

StuF

+1 Mondeo

mrsflash
    Free Member

can you get a reasonable one for a grand, would have though 2 or 3 for a mondeo type thing.

SaxonRider

It is my experience, having had two of them, that an old Volvo estate will run reliably for years and years.

Any pre-FWD Volvo will come in at well under £1000, and do very well by your family, I promise.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

At £1000 you are looking at a car with issues.

It will need things fixing at some point in the foreseeable future so it pays to make sure they are as cheap as possible. You will always be able to pick up parts for a mondeo at a car breakers.

Car for car if you think a mondeo will be more than £1k, the equivelant Volvo etc will be more expensive.

Only alternative is the Vectra really. £1k gets you a usable car, nothing more

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

It is my experience, having had two of them, that an old Volvo estate will run reliably for years and years.

Any pre-FWD Volvo will come in at well under £1000, and do very well by your family, I promise.

Runs off to buy as many old volvos as i can due to saxonriders guarentee

firestarter
    Free Member

clare last year i got a 53 plate mondeo petrol zetec for 1800 so you should be able to pick something up for a grand. (the car i had before that was a 98 mondeo estate that cost me 200 quid and it was still going strong when i upgraded) 😉

WackoAK
    Free Member

Mondeo or Vectra as stated by others.

Bunnyhop

I used to get a buggy and all the shopping into my ickle VW polo. You could still get a reasonable one for a grand.

steve-g
    Free Member

Civic

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

For £1000 you don't choose a car. You look at what's available and buy the cleanest, best one you can find for the money…….

the-muffin-man

^^ What PeterPoddy said!

…and to get a few more pennies GF could always flog that new road bike he's just bought!!! 😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

lol muffin man, maybe i should just make him ride it to work every day and keep our car for me!

firestarter
    Free Member

well i picked a mondeo due to the amount of them around , spares prices and vfm i then search for the best cleanest i could find for my money. imo the mondeo is hard to beat for the cash 😉

JPcapel
    Free Member

Mondeo vote here too.
    Had 2. both via car auctions.
    Both been outstanding, drive well, reliable – just very Fuggly!

SaxonRider

Please consider a Volvo estate. Any pre-FWD model should be easily fetched for less than £1000.

In my experience, having owned two and driven them for hundreds of thousands of kilometres, they can not be beat. I am sure that people's experiences of Mondeos and Vectras are fine, but I would be hard-pressed to believe that any of them have the build quality of an old Volvo.

Find one in good nick, and it will take you and your family on holidays across the continent for years, as well as on many MTB trips, and days at work (yech).

mrsflash
    Free Member

Tbh we didn’t really want anything as big as mondeo / volvo etc, were thinking more focus / golf size, it’s really just a run around – to get me the 6 miles to work, and once on mat leave, to get to the park! We have a nice estate for proper journeys. But if they’re the best for the money, then I guess we’ll have a look at them 🙂

midlifecrashes

Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla or Avensis. Will be more expensive for bits than Mondeos but will never need them. At a grand it's always a bit of pot luck. Mk2 Micra look to be good for longevity too, plenty of 5 door ones for that money, and you have the big car for everybody in.

mrsflash
    Free Member

lol, that's the one muffin man!

tinribz
    Free Member

Part-x'ed my civic estate for less than that after spending bout £250 on it over 5 years / 80k

The established logic for cheap cars was go for more expensive (than shopping car) saloons that pile on the motorway miles and depreciate. Because that causes alot less wear than stopping and starting / driving to the shop 5 times a day, especially if it ws cheaper to start with.

Or find something some old couple have had locked in their garage the last ten years.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I bought an 1100 quid nissan primera. 2 litre petrol, fantastic engine. Sold it a year on, still went perfectly. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Edit: forgot to mention it was really, really nice to drive as well. Very underrated car IMHO (which is good 'cos it makes them cheap)

tron
    Free Member

Golf. My girlfriend's one cost a smidge under a grand, it's a 1.6 MK3 and it's done 20k in just over a year with no undue bother – servicing, tyres and brakes. And it does 40mpg, happily cruises on the motorway and so-on.

It's certainly possible to find decent cars at the sub £1k level. You do have to be *very* fast on picking up the Autotrader ads that look decent, and be very specific when quizzing buyers on the phone, or you end up looking at lots of tat.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

For a medium sized car id go for a Nissan Almera. No street cred, but (A) cheap (B), well made and (C) likely to have been owned by an elderly person (ie not ragged and regularly serviced).

Edric64
    Free Member

MEGANE SCENIC

andrewh
    Free Member

Diesel Mondeo.

Or maybe http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201009353526734/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/1000/make/rover/postcode/ng334hw/radius/1500/keywords/sterling/page/1?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fused%2Fcars%2Frover%2Fpostcode%2Fng334hw%2Fradius%2F1500%2Fkeywords%2Fsterling%2Fprice-to%2F1000%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc%2Fpage%2F1&logcode=p
    We had one of those. 2.5L V6 180bhp, full leather, aircon, cruise control, heated seats, electric front and rear seats, electric everything.
    Ours was 6yrs old when we got and we paid £1800 at auction. Bit cheaper now. Thirsty, 25mpg, but if it's a second car that shouldn't bother you too much.

parkesie
    Free Member

Fiat stilo 5 doorLike this

djglover
    Free Member

Sell the expensive carbon bling and buy something with a chance of keeping junior safe?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

djglover – Member
    Sell the expensive carbon bling and buy something with a chance of keeping junior safe?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Out of the 'other' suggestions i like the almera the most. As stated its unfashionable and therefore cheap.

Other suggestion is the vauxhall astra which doesnt seem to hold its value like the focus

mrsflash
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, some good ideas there so we'll have look at all and see whats around near us.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Serious mode now…
    If you can find a tidy, older Volvo 7 or 9 series, it'll run very well and be tough as old boots. And safe as houses too.

solamanda
    Free Member

As PP said. Don't choose a model. At £1000 the condition and the attitude of the seller matters more than a specific model choice.

If you are going to do short journeys I would look at something petrol, large engine and fuel inefficient. Should enable you to buy something better quality/reliable. Just give it oil changes and drive it till it breaks.

PePPeR

But Volvo 7 and 9 series are huge and this is only for a second car, Almeras are great, so are small Fiats and Astras, My daughters been running around in an old Astra for 3 years it cost her £450 and its since done 40.000 miles and has only been serviced regularly.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I bought my 406 estate diesel for a grand, my ex-neighbour bought his petrol 5-door 306 for 300 quid. Loads to pick from.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Nissan. My parents had two Primeras, an L reg that did 180k no issues, then a Y reg that has 130k on the Clock, no issues. I've just bought one, a bit scruffy, but £1500 for a 40k mileage W reg. They're really comfortable, plenty of space, drive well. Very reliable. My parents also had two of the original Almeras and now have one of the later shape ones. They had two of the original ones as I bounced one off a barrier near Fort William. None had/have any issues, other than my driving, completely reliable, cheap, functional. Can't recommend them highly enough at the price.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

my 02 1.8 astra sri, just had £600 spent on it and £400 on new tires in the about 6 months ago. has a few dents but a good car looking for over a grand?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What family car for a grand?’ is closed to new replies.