What extras do I need if I buy a GoPro?

Home Forum Bike Forum What extras do I need if I buy a GoPro?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What extras do I need if I buy a GoPro?
  • Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Chesty.
    Handlebar mount.

ekul

Your trusty eagle mount.

andypaul99

The most important is a SD card or it wont work at all!
    I would go minimum 32GB, which would give you roughly 30 mins of footage at the highest res.

For mtb’ing definitely a chest mount, I paid £30 for the official Go-Pro one at amazon

grum

Newer ones are micro SD not SD. Should get a lot longer than half an hour out of a 32gb card. Look here.

http://www.goprofanatics.com/gopro-hd-hero3/1487-anyone-got-data-memory-use-when-recording-1080p-@-30-fps-2-7k-print.html

I would suggest 720p is fine for most uses anyway TBH.

Chesty +1

fasthaggis

First aid kit ?

Remember to shout :-

“Watch this”

or

” Dropping “

😉

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Chesty.
    Handlebar mount.

Unless you want to use it as a Tripod/static I found the bar mount made vomit inducing footage, it was also to narrow for most of my frame. The mast mount is bigger though.

You will also need something to edit it and store it on.

Thanks guys-so the mounts included are of zero use?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

mrpottatohead wrote:

Thanks guys-so the mounts included are of zero use?

Depends what pack you get, not a massive fan of the helmet one but YMMV, I have used the stick ons for a Full Face and that was all I got with mine.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I only ever use the chesty la rue mount tbh.

But it’s worth varying the connecty bits you use on this (you’ll have several supplied).

The longer one enables you to point the camera down more, which I prefer.

Before…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkdh4wSKDy4[/video]

After… (sorry can’t embed this one)
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/326250/

Just trying to figure out all in cost before deciding which model to go for. I know I need a decent memory card but are there any other extras I need straight away? With the mounts included, where can I attach the camera when I’m riding?

Crell

A spare battery. The life on the 3 Black is awful.

The editing SW from Go Pro is pretty good. Try that before you try something else.

Keep an eye on here / Groupon – I got mine for £270 off there recently.

GEDA

I would buy a decent 3/4 camera instead as the footage from Go Pro that I have is rubbish unless you have pretty perfect conditions/light. Do you really want to spend that amount of money on something that is pretty one dimensional?

I got one of these and it takes really nice films.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-Digital-Camera-14-42mm/dp/B004AE391Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379667139&sr=1-6&keywords=panasonic+lumix+dmc+gf2

grum

There’s a deal on the black one on groupon at the moment for £265.

Wasabi charger and spare batteries are good.

lornholio

Two 1TB external hard drives if you plan on filming lots. Mirror one as a backup and keep in a different building.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Cheap spares and mounts available at Deal Extreme

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

the footage from Go Pro that I have is rubbish

Which one’s that?

My original HD version is OK most of the time but a bit rubbish in poor conditions.

My pal’s black model is just stunning, and seems to work well in low light conditions too.

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

+several for Chesty
    iPhone / android apps for setting up the shots
    Talent / talented friends / amusing small dog
    Editing time
    There’s loads of fiddly bits & pieces, so a proper case to store it all
    Patience
    Self belief.

Houns

Also buy one considering you may get bored of it quite soon

GEDA

GoPro silver 3

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

chesty is good, rear facing mount on seat/seatpost is fantastic if you have someone riding right behind you.

I bought the Phantom battery charger and spare batteries, same as the wasabi but a lot cheaper, last longer than the original go pro battery.

editing everything into something short is the real extra requirement though! I’ve not tried the new go pro cineform software with film edit templates yet but it may speed things up a bit.

Sounds like chest mount is the way to go then. It is a bit of a whimsical buy but got some vouchers to spend. Don’t think my riding is up to using it anywhere near its potential but I’m sure i’ll have fun with it. Thanks all for the advice.

simonr2011

I got a couple of spare batteries from Amazon which came with a external charger for about £25 also a chest,head and tripod mount from ebay for £20which came from China in about a week and work as they should.

I did buy an original handlebar mount tried it once and took it bag as a total rip off and didnt even grip my bars.

Dont for get to get a decent memory card and not just class 10.

Lester

you dont need a handlebar mount
    the box it comes in has a spare dummy mount which you can take off and drill a hole in it and use it instead of a top cap on stem.
    also the mike is crap, you really need an external mike, but that means you have to drill a hole in the casing if you keep it in the casing.
    oh and you need the bluetooth app for your phone so you can see the playback and when to start etc

Milkie

Depending on which one you get..

Spare Battery (they only last an hour)
    MicroSD card (not a Sandisk)
    Chesty Mount
    Something to protect it when not using (lens cap or sock)

nick1962

Poor taste in music if Pinkbike is anything to go by.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What extras do I need if I buy a GoPro?’ is closed to new replies.