Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What E-Bike for commuting?
  • chrispy

Hi all,

I fancy starting to ride to work, but currently my fitness isn’t good enough to get up the 1000ft of climbing over 8 miles commute without being a sweaty mess. I don’t have to take anything to work with me other than some clothes so don’t need any luggage capacity.

Can anyone recommend a cheap ebike hardtail that is actually a bit of fun to ride without meaning I have to sell a kidney to afford.
    Ideally it would be able to cope with light off-road duties as the plan would be for my partner to ride it when I’m on my normal bikes as a way to help increase her fitness and confidence on a bike.

Its a bit of a minefield out there so any suggestions would be great.

ta11pau1

You’ll still get sweaty on an ebike. You just go faster, climbs will be easier but they won’t dissapear.

However, you’re still looking at £1500-2000 for anything semi decent, depending what ‘light offroad’ means, Cube do some hybrid ebikes in that range.

pigyn
    Free Member

Orbea Gain – starts at £1600 in both drop bar and flat bar options. Takes up to a 700x40mm tyre so fully capable of offroad funnigans. Sold quite a few, everyone has been very happy with them, I have the carbon version as a demo bike waiting to be built in the new year to do some testing.

https://pedalsbikecare.co.uk/shop/2019-orbea-gain-d50/

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the Orbea Gain (a more CXy model, D20? About £2300…)

I’ve got a similar issue after moving out of town and changing job- I’ve got 15miles each way and the only non-suicidal route is going to take me across the top of Wharncliffe and Greno woods with a drop into Sheffield and corresponding climb back out (Cowper Ave for locals…) after a 12hr shift. Forgetting the climb, riding is going to increase my day away from home to something like 14.5 hrs and I’m just not going to do it on a regular bike, there will be no motivation. I’m thinking ebike will take enough sting out of it that it happens. I’d like to get back out of the car, I’m a much nicer person after riding in! 😂

trail_rat
    Free Member

“You’ll still get sweaty on an ebike. You just go faster, climbs will be easier but they won’t dissapear.”

Not in my experience.

I bought mine as I do journeys to placeswhere I cannot arrive sweaty and won’t have the option to wetwipe shower prior to engaging with people…..

I know that I can do 15mph there without sweating.

I know that if it’s raining I can chuck on the cheap rain trousers and jacket in the pannier and not get sweaty at around 15mph.

Sure if I OPT to give it beans I’ll get sweaty but it sounds like ATM the OP is unable to get over the hill without getting knackered and sweaty. An ebike will give him the cushion to do as much or as little and build up his fitness to the point where he can.

chrispy

cheers guys, some good suggestions there.
    Glad to hear you can keep within the speed limiter and not get too warm – I ride the route for fun on my cx bike but I don’t think I could ride up the hill to get to work and not feel knackered most the day – especially as I would like to cycle several times a week.

I have been looking at the Voodoo Bizango Electric Mountain Bike from Halfords as it seems to be the only 2k bike with a vaguely decent spec (deore) and a good bosch motor – does any one have any experiences of it?

docrobster
    Free Member

How about a free one? (For a month)

Welcome to Sheffield CycleBoost

chrispy

That’s a great idea! – sadly I can’t see that happening in Abergavenny 🙁

convert

That Orbea up there surely has to be for the vain only. Apparently it has a 36V 6.9A battery – That’s 248 Watt hours. That’s really small by modern standards. Just to make it physically small enough to hide it away. It’s a tool for the job – ride it with pride with a battery with a proper range and the ability to use the higher power modes without fear of it running out within sight of home. Plenty of better options imo. What’s your budget?

Also agree with trail_rat – you don’t have to get sweaty on an ebike. My wife uses one to get to work and back and does so up a relatively steep hill in her office clothes without breaking sweat. If/when I am commuting by bike again (currently live and work within feet of each other) I’ll go ebike I hope. Her’s is pretty old now and I’ve been idly looking for when it’s time to replace – the are some great bikes out there now. Personally I’d look for the bike you would be prepared to ride if it was ‘normally aspirated’ and not except any lesser spec for your ebike purchase – just appreciating it will cost a lot more. Too many of the bottom end ones are essentially BSOs with a motor strapped on to keep the cost down to ‘disposable’ money.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What E-Bike for commuting?’ is closed to new replies.