Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What DT Swiss do i have?
  • breninbeener

My friend popped over a 27.5 DT Swiss wheel. Its an EX511 rim, with a straight pull boost rear hub. Its running microspline and star ratchet.

The hub is whitish in colour and says DTSwiss in it, but i cqnt see any further markings.

In attempting to swap the inner tube in the forest, he has pulled the cassette and freehub off. Clearly something has been lost in this as there are 2x springs, 2x star ratchets and an aluminium spacer that is a sleeve that fits over the axle about 10mm long. When you bolt it into the frame, it becomes a fixie, yet the freehub works when its not tightened up in the frame.

I need to ID the hub to find whats missing.

Anyone got any ideas how to ID it?

Ian

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Is the rim marked Ex511? Most of their wheelsets rename the rim or make minor tweaks to eyelets or joins. I thought the EX511 was aftermarket only..

On the DT website there is a search tool, many of the wheelsets have a QR code or serial number now.

Northwind

No but all star ratchet hubs with the double ratchet are basically the same in there. If you’ve got a good photo of all the bits we an probably call it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigginge

If the rim looks like the one below then it is probably a DT Swiss 350 series.

Having said that I think most of the hubs that use the star ratchet freehub share parts in that area so it probably doesn’t make too much difference which hub it is (unless it’s one of the newer exp ones).

nixie

2x springs, 2x star ratchets and an aluminium spacer that is a sleeve that fits over the axle about 10mm long

That sounds like all the parts. Spacer over axle against hub bearing. First spring, wide end against bearing, narrow against ratchet. Ratchet 1, ratchet 2, spring (wide end in free hub).

First thought was springs the wrong way.

nixie

Is the whitish more a silverish like these?

If so that’s a 350 based hub.

breninbeener

Thanks all

@nixie
    that looks to be what i had been given but he made some veiled mention of a second spacer that slipped over the axle but he wasnt sure where it was.

It seems like what i have, in that picture should go together and work, but as soon as it gets clamped up by the maxle it refuses to turn.

I hqve a new 350 rear hub here, i shall see whats inside that too.

Im grateful for the help as it ‘seems’ ok!

Ian

breninbeener

@nixie, it does look like that hub.

Is there any reason that a 142 would be different to a boost hub? Or that microspline will be different to Shimano or xd?

breninbeener

Ok, i have a brand new 142 xd 350 hub here. The components inside are the same and assembled in the same order as the troublesome hub. However….

When i remove the endcap and freehub from the new one, if i depress the two ratchet rings into the hub shell, they leave about 4mm of the sleeve spacer on the axle exposed.

On the troublesome hub if i do the same, then they only depress enough for the top of the sleeve spacer to be visible. They do NOT leave any spacer sitting proud of the ratchet rings….

nixie

Do the parts from the troublesome hub work on the new hub? How about new parts on troublesome hub.

I’ve only seen the hub I posted the picture of on gravel and road wheels. I would assume those all come with road freehubs. Could it be that someone has rebuilt a MTB wheel from one then made a microspline MTB free hub fit with an extra spacer?

nixie

142 Vs boost is all in the hub body and main axle length. Freehubs should be the same

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

In attempting to swap the inner tube in the forest, he has pulled the cassette and freehub off

Given everything looks to be there this I think needs a bit more investigation. They aren’t difficult to split down but they shouldn’t exactly fall apart either.
    Accidentally taking the freehub off suggests something was wrong before hand or that you’re friend exhibits a level of ham-fistedness out of place even on STW.
    I’m inclined to think the former.

I’d check with your friend exactly how they accidentally pulled the free hub off.

anorak

There is a spacer in the freehub which is a different length to the one behind the ratchets. Could they have been mixed up?

breninbeener

There is only 1 spqcer in there at the moment. He did say there may have been another too, but he hasnt got it….

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ahhh. @Anorak might have it.

Top of page 9. https://www.dtswiss.com/pmt/00/00/00/00/00/00/00/10/00/00/00/89/6/MAN_WXD10000000896S_WEB_EN_001.pdf

there should be a shim inside the freehub itself, not part of the ratchet system. I can well imagine that might be your problem. Quite how it got out of there though is beyond me, that said so it’s how the freehub fell off so I’m guessing something is knackered.

Superficial
    Free Member

I had some of those wheels and the freehub would fall off if you looked at it funny. Kind of annoying, especially when it means the ratchets go for a roll around in the dust.

hatter

There’s an O-ring inside DT end caps to stop it doing that, if the end cap falls off then the O-ring must be missing.

breninbeener

I think my man was banging tyre/rim on the ground to get bead to seat. That seems to be how i have some no working bits. He said it was grwat before that…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.