Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What drop bar STI shifter for Alfine?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello.
    There is all kinds of stuff on the google but I trust you guys and girls real-life experiences more than most other bits on the web (seriously)
    Who has an Alfine hub, either 8 or 11, and uses it with a drop bar STI shifter? What shifter do you have and is the combination any good?
    Even better, has anyone managed to mate one to an STI shifter with a hydraulic lever and if so which and does it work well?
    Suplementary question, is there a viable alternative to Alfine? Budget might stretch to Alfine 11, unlikely to stretch to Rohloff.
    Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think only Sunrace did one for 8, and it is crap.

andrewh
    Free Member

hmm, 8 speed sora or 11 speed Ultegra won’t work then? Is the amount of cable pulled different? I’ve seen the levers from TT bikes used, shoved into the end of the drop but would prefer proper STIs

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Microshift levers could be the answer, available here SJS Cycles not cheap though.

shermer75
    Free Member

I used the Versa set up, it worked really well (Alfine 8 ) which I’m now selling. Let me know if you’re interested (email in profile)

shermer75
    Free Member

They are for rim brakes though, not hydraulics

shermer75
    Free Member

I read somewhere that the cable pull for Alfine 8 actually varies through the range (going short-short-short-long-short-short-short) which would explain why regular STIs don’t work

shermer75
    Free Member

Here is a review of a bike with Versa STIs

Pompetamine Versa 11

shermer75
    Free Member

Supplementary answer: Sturmey Archer make an alternative, but I haven’t heard many good things about them. SRAM used to but I have a feeling that they’ve stopped production now.

simondbarnes

You could go Di2 Alfine

andrewh
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Been busy googling Di2 Alfine, not convinced by reliability of it.
    Found this http://www.rohbox.com/ to allow SRAM STI shifters to operate a Rohloff, really quite tempted by that, are SRAM hydraulics any good? Last I heard there was a big recall but that was ages ago.
    Shermer, I’ll ping you an email.

Daffy

I’ve got just shy of 10k miles on my Alfine 11 Di2.

Versa levers are okay with an A8, but rubbish on an A11, the 11 is very sensitive to cable stretch. The constant Ghost shifter on both of my A11s really ticked me off. The Di2 has been utterly flawless.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve got the Versas on Alfine 8. They are fine, bit finicky and they’ve needed a bit of GT85 in the guts to stop them changing down multiple gears at once. They feel a bit basic compared to the latest STI’s and when I last looked, expensive at around £150.

If I was buying now, I’d probably look at hydro and Di2.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mrs tr alfine 8 is all floppy . Seems to have worn pretty badly- although it is 5 years old.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Found this http://www.rohbox.com/ to allow SRAM STI shifters to operate a Rohloff, really quite tempted by that

I’ve been running one of these for a couple of months now and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s bloody great. I originally thought it was a bit of a solution looking for a problem as I don’t have an issue with twist shifters but I’m really impressed by how the system works.

Works well on SRAM mtb shifters too. Shifters on both need to be modified but it’s pretty easy. Same modification for both the cabe and hydraulic version.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Versa user on drop vats here. Fine but gone back to flats.

Let me know if you want mine.

andrewh
    Free Member

Much deliberation and adding up of prices later I’ve just bought a set of Ultegra Di2/Hydraulic STis, pair, brand new for £183. Decided to take the plunge and go electric, mainly so that I can get hydraulic brakes, can’t wait to be rid of cable ones on the road bike. The rear cable has frozen a couple of times this week, would need to be below -40 for that to happen to DOT4!
    I know where I can get an Alfine 11 Di2 hub (relatively) cheap.
    Still need
    front brake caliper, front brake hose, centerlock rotor for the rear, battery and wires for the Di2, rim and wheel building, Alfine sprocket. Will upgrade the rear brake to hydraulic one day.
    Going to have some bits for sale but might be a while, 105 mechanical STIs, Ultegra rear mech, Sora front mech, Deore/Alex rear wheel, should hopefully offset the upgrade cost somewhat and make it sensible.
    Going to end up with what I think is the ultimate commuter bike. Ali frame with carbon forks, loads of clearance for decent tyres, proper mudguards, rear rack and pannier, drop bars, electric hub gears, hydraulic disks, I think all for less than a grand once I’ve sold the old bits. Doing 250 miles a week on it so need something decent, especially this time of year, and can keep it in the office.
    Thanks for the input all.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What drop bar STI shifter for Alfine?’ is closed to new replies.