Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What Dremel (or similar) do I want?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve got a bunch of finishing to do around the house – quite a bit of sanding in tight spaces, that kind of thing. Seems like a little multitool type jobbie will be perfect for the job (and I’ll probably find lots of uses for it that I never knew I needed too).

So what should I be looking for? Cheaper the better (obviously) as it will probably only get used sporadically, but probably reasonably intensely when it does. The Dremel 7750 looks good (cordless would definitely be a big plus) but there seem to be a lot of cheapy options on well known auction and selling sites, are any of those any cop or will I regret it because it will be rubbish?

Or should I just get a sander kit for my drill?

nickjb
    Free Member

A Dremel is a great tool for around the house. Loads of uses. Well worth going cordless and IMO the proper Dremel is worth getting over a cheap copy. I’d go for an 8000 series model, rather than 7000. That said, for sanding an oscillating multi tool is probably better. Also very handy around the house for a range of jobs. In fact get both 🙂

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I got the Aldi version. It’s great and about a quarter of the price of the equivalent Dremel, but it would be infinitely better if it was cordless.

flyingmonkeycorps

I did look at oscillating tools, but realistically I can only justify one and it looks like a rotary is prooooobably going to be the more flexible option (and attachments seem to be cheaper too).

What’s the advantage of an 8 series over a 7 series? There’s a big jump in price!

Neither Aldi nor Lidl seem to have one on offer at the moment, but there are a ton available, which I guess are probably often the same thing rebranded…

nixie

I’ve burnt two 8000 series Dremels out now. Second was the warranty for the first. Too be fair I’ve also burnt anouther branded one in the past. All three times it was using the cutting discs (almost certainly for too long in one go). Really hoping this time it’s just a case of replacing bushings!

rene59
    Free Member

Dremels are ok for hobby type stuff but pretty rubbish for any serious work IMHO. Other opinions are available etc etc but I can’t think of a single thing I’ve used mine for in an around the house type job in the past 20 odd years of having one.

Rio

I find Dremel type things pretty useless for anything other than small hobby/repair type jobs – for DIY the consumables aren’t up to it and the motors tend to expire in an exciting shower of sparks. For small DIY sanding jobs if you need a power tool and can’t stretch to an oscillating multi tool (very useful for all sorts of jobs) then a B&D Mouse for £20 from your local big shed DIY place is as good as anything, although you’ll have to forgo the cordlessness.

finishthat
    Free Member

Dremels do not really do sanding , more shaping by abrasion , unless you are tackling metal.
    So as a household sander , unless for cleaning up an intricate gate/grate or similar ironwork it would be quite a poor choice. Also for infrequent use a cordless battery job is going to have a dead battery after a couple of years.
    If you want a tool with more than one use then an oscillating multitool is a reasonable choice , although more costly as to get something that lasts will mean avoiding the cheap stuff.

A detail sander would likely do the sanding jobs and be useful for a few years.
    Its not as exiting as the others but :
    “I’ve got a bunch of finishing to do around the house – quite a bit of sanding in tight spaces, that kind of thing”

something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb415sdr-160w-detail-sander-240v/69658

flyingmonkeycorps

Hmm, that little mouse jobbie might be the best option – the main thing I need it for is sanding paint off a a cupboard, I have a big power sander that is fine for most of it but it won’t get into the smaller nubbins.

On the other hand I DO like an exciting shower of sparks.

nixie

On the other hand I DO like an exciting shower of sparks.

The smell that goes with it is pretty rank.

flyingmonkeycorps

I can imagine. Though the cheap sandpaper I picked up the other day smells like cheesy feet. Which is a bit weird.

jamj1974

The smell is great! It’s like a 1980’s Scalectrix turned up to 11.

flyingmonkeycorps

That takes me back…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What Dremel (or similar) do I want?’ is closed to new replies.