Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • What dog breeds make the best trail dogs?
  • oxnop
    Free Member

Rex, YGM.

surfer
    Free Member

I've got one of these:

And she likes coming on these:

spacemonkey

I'd second what Milkie said – when raising the lab from a pup, we were advised to prevent against him doing any "serious" exercise or even walking up the stairs, so as to help his body develop and strengthen more naturally.

I also believe there's a lot of sense in not throwing balls and sticks for any (or at least most) kinds of dog, because the body can be twisted into all kinds of shapes at speed … clicking joints and early arthritis could be on the menu … not good for furry people:(

xizang
    Free Member

We have a vizsla bitch who has just turned 2. Awesome dogs…never give up but you need to be careful they don't run themselves into the ground! Also if feeding them dry food then something with higher fat content goes without saying… She comes riding with us and our clients here in the mountains in Czech and she loves it!

http://www.rideczech.com/cycling_holidays_czech_republic_about.html

A fantastic companion….and nice and calm if given lots of exercise!

kunoichi
    Free Member

I'm confused. Not throwing sticks for dogs? At any age?! Sounds a bit 'cotton wool' to me…

I better stop riding my bike so as not to develop any problems later in life…

Andy-W
    Free Member

Frankie is my Jack Russel and I would love to take her for little rides on the bike(she only has little legs you see) but i am sure it will end in tears, How do you start to get the dog used to a bike ?

I think she will be fine with people she knows on bikes its just the ones that bother me..

Andy

Brainflex

Andy W, I have a papillion, smaller than a russell, that I take trail riding, he loves it. Private trail park in NZ so I just make sure that he follows me and lots of snacks n water. They pick up running with you quickly as its just running with the pack. To train them for the street, I simply put him on a lead, grab the SS and watch for lamp posts etc as I ride Eventually he picked up staying close to me. There is nothing funnier than seeing him rail a berm higher than me! Stamina wise I have taken him on 3 hr rides with plenty of stops for us. Build up to that tho. In the end She will be able to outlast you, just be sensible on the downhills.

Andy-W
    Free Member

lol,, she is sat watchin me read this and i think she know what i am reading

Will try and find a area with not many people about for our first outing i think thats a start 🙂

cheers

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Border Collies, despite being high maintenance are probably the ultimate trail dog. Unlimited stamina and can keep up with a dh bike at full chat. They will run till they puke and then just keep on running. Very very intelligent too. Obviously they have some issues as a pet though.

Springers are grand, plenty of stamina but not the quickest or most agile dogs. would the springer owners who've already posted agree that they are just a bit um, dull and lacking in character?

jbig
    Free Member

I've always wanted to take these two little mutts (brother and sister believe it or not!) on some rides with me but always ummed and aahed. Size was always an issue for me. Could they cope.
    This week has made my mind up though. Went away to Snowdonia. Just walking, one of them got stuck halfway down a waterfall, prompting some amateur rock climbing from me, and the other jumped over a canal path wall and straight into the 20ft drop the other side. Luckily, she was on a lead so we caught her!
    My two are definitely not made for the extreme sporting world.
    Good luck with yours though. Any dog will change your life.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

update…

Meet Oscar, our 9 wk old Beagle.

Settling in quite well so far, although I think he is finding it hard coming from a farm with so much happening to our fairly quiet house 🙂

He has a potentially expensive taste for chicken breasts!!

anagallis_arvensis

I doubt she'd make a good trail dog, more of a sprinter than a stayer, but she's ace anyway and I dont want to miss out on posting any pics.

This is her walking out of Knoydart and showing her displeasure at the rain!!

anagallis_arvensis

freeridenick, you in NZ? Dont see many Huntaways over in UK, may father had one when he was farming in NZ many years ago, great looking dogs.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

I own a boxer called Ralph. I just got my new bike the other day and he wasnt happy wouldnt go near it. Although I was cycling up and down the street and he was following close behind.

He's useless in the heat tho. He goes threw more water than a steam train.

Very friendly, Great with kids, I'll have to report back on wether he's a good trail dog tho.

I would post a picture but god only knows how to do that.

oxnop
    Free Member

Matt, as said before he is really cute! Sarah wants another one now though.

iDave
    Free Member

not throwing a stick or ball for a dog? are you phucking mental?

seriously. do you think dogs naturally move around in a linear plane all the time? its madness gone politically correct.

5thElefant
    Free Member

We have a Vizsla puppy who I hope will be able to ride with me when he's older (bumped into someone in Afan who was riding with his and he said the dog goes all day long) Like a smaller Weimaraner – he's brilliant! Very cuddly and family orientated too!

Infidel, you want to do a bit more research. We've got a Vizsla and we were told by the breeder in no uncertain terms (and confirmed by breed books) that you'll knacker their joints. Certainly the breed never had running in mind in its history (like a carriage dog). They work up ahead of you with occasional sprints, they don't run everywhere normally. But, they are insanely loyal and will run themselves to death to keep up with you. Not a good combination.

I have taken ours out a couple of times but not at mountainbike pace. I'd be very careful when considering taking them on real rides.

mt
    Free Member

Get a Foxhound, they'll run the legs of you.

scotty2
    Free Member

Border collie anytime. Mine used to come out every ride easily keep up over 20 miles then over take me as I blasted back down into my town at 30mph! My uncle has border collies on his farm – I was amazed a few weeks ago when one was happily running alongside the quad bike at 60km/h

I've had three collies each has lived on until 15/16 years with no medical problems

Easy to train, generally obedient and loyal

Zukemonster
    Free Member

My laboradoodle makes a great cycling companion.

When i'm near roads I have an elastic bungee type lead that means I can control her, but she can't pull me off the bike if she decides to do something unexpected. I'd recommend the lead if you are getting your dog used to cycling.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

We've just (3 days ago) got an 8 week old chocolate lab. I know they're greedy buggers (someone on a different thread put it brilliantly when they said 'they'll drag you under a bus for a chip'), but does anyone take theirs out on the trail?. I've got a sinking feeling I'm going to end up carting him round in the kid's trailer.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rex, YGM.

Is this how people get their pets' attention these days? Sheesh.

Some great mutts on here, I'm getting broody!

If there's no agreement on the perfect trail dog then perhaps the STW dog-loving massive could take it on themselves to create a new breed?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I'm up for it! How about a Lanesradoodle?

surfer
    Free Member

Lanesradoolitle if the other thread is anything to go by!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Do you mean the gypsy one?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Ah, just spotted it – What an unpleasant little shit.

Steven1975
    Free Member

scruff is right, the dog most likely to run for the longest is the Dalmatian. Short haired so not likely to need a bath after your ride. But they do have deafness issues (like any breed with a mostly white coat) and can be very strong willed (read disobedient). The were bred to run alongside mail coaches to fend off highwaymen. Might be a little too large too.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

[IMG]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/bjjandyw/th_DSCN0400-1.jpg[/IMG][My young rhodesian ridgeback.Will be a while before i can take him out though.

pacemaker
    Free Member

On The don't throw stick for dogs debate…

2 years ago my partner took our Border Collie out, Fizzy loved chasing sticks.
    One particular stick was thrown, and Fizzy chased it, as it landed fizzy grabbed it in her mouth, but the stick twisted awkwardly and with the dogs forward speed went through her mouth, into her throat and pierced out the back of her neck.
    Luckily, they were near the car so my partner picked her up and rushed her to the emergency vet who manage to save her.
    (I will find the photo's of her at the time)
    We have two great Border Collies who make great trail dogs.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I would say go for one of the pointing breads, German pointer, Hungarian pointer (Viszla) English Pointer or Weimaraner. I have just had to have my German Pointer put down at less than 8 month old! due to the dog having a growth problem HDO. Feeling pretty devasted at the moment. Great dogs though and very very clever and alert, great with kids, superb temperament, fitness levels to match any animal on the planet! Can be bad even for someone like me with plenty of time to walk and play with the dog as they never seem to have enough. I could train mine to do anything within a few days. IMO if you get a pointer go for a bitch as they are easier to handle. I'm thinking of going for a pointer cross when I decide the time is right to get another dog.

Labs are easier to handle than pointers though and not as strong willed, they are fit dogs also and make good trail dogs. I dont think they are as interesting to have though. But as my mates says you get what it says on the tin with a lab, nice dogs without a doubt.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I would go for a short coated border collie, run all day and some. Be careful about over exercising young dogs or you'll be in the vets having their hips done, not cheap. I had a choc lab and had a spend and save card for the vets. Mongrels for us from now on!

Spongebob
    Free Member

I need a doggy! They are awesome, but only the medium sized models (lil ones are to quick and would get unde my wheels)

singlecrack
    Free Member

get a springer

He is 8 months old now so will be taking him out on the trails within the next couple of months.

singlecrack
    Free Member

why do my pictures keep disapearing ???

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm having picture issues as well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Our Staffie cross loves running with the bike. Unfortunately, he's got knee and back issues that now stop him from doing so (it wasn't the mountain biking that did it).

kept him in good shape as well.

Lionheart
    Free Member

ref Vizslas not going far / fast!!

Our GSP and Vizsla, now both nine, have run most mornings of their lives, 3-10 miles each day, accompanied a horse 3-5 days a week, 3-10 miles each time and accompanied the bikes 3-5 times a week upto 20 miles, some days they have done a few miles some days a hell of a lot, always in the lead unless called in and I reckon they often do quite a few more miles than us. Eat tons, sleep stacks, both great companions, both in fantastic condition and going very strong. GSP has a great sense of humor and pretty clever, Viz, sometimes a bit too friendly/much and more brain cells in his balls than in his head.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘What dog breeds make the best trail dogs?’ is closed to new replies.