Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)
  • What does you bike really weigh???
  • ac282

[quote]Depends what you mean by “XC”.
    [/quote]

The BUSA XC course went over that drop in 2005. Plenty of XC bikes cleared it.

ace_sparky
    Free Member

My Spesh Rockhopper is just under 24lbs, it accelerates very quick, climbs well and with the right tyres rolls fast. Iím happy with it as it is now, I donít want to get it any lighter as the back end is twitchy enough over the rough stuff at this weight.

MrAgreeable

ac282, that’s my point! It’s an XC trail, but I wouldn’t want to be doing it on a 19lb bike. I expect most of the people on lighter bikes gave it a wide berth…

5thElefant
    Free Member

Scott Strike carbon – about 28lbs normally. 27lbs with race tyres and tubes.

jfeb
    Free Member

Blur 4X – 29.6 lbs (on bathroom scales so only approx)
    Tinbred (original) with Rebas – 26.5 lbs
    Scandal 29er – don’t know but noticably lighter than the Blur 4X (to pick up)

Heckler
    Free Member

I reckon my ’03 Heckler with ’03 Z1s and 5th Coil must be about 32/33lbs.

Humphry
    Free Member

Road bike – 21 lb
    Full sus – 30ish lb
    Hard tail – suprisingly heavy!about 28 – 29 lb

steel4real
    Free Member

Interesting thread as yesterday I borrowed the balance from my LBS to weigh my own bikes;-

Cotic Soul – 29.6 lbs

Kona Dawg – 33.6 lbs (and nearly all the components are the same as the Cotic !?)

SX Trail – 39.5 lbs

I was a bit surprised at the first two as I was expecting them to be lighter.

Drac

I don’t think I’ve ever weighed my bikes.

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

my Rocky Mountain ETSX is about 27lbs in ‘race mode’ with lighter tyres / olympic rims on proIIs. in all day / training mode its about 29lbs. really notice the difference with the lighter wheels / tyres on it. Could probably go a bit lighter if I swapped the coil revelations for something else and found a different saddle that agrees with my arse (currently on an SDG bel air) but its deminishing returns for here on in and in its current guise its pretty bomb proof. Keep thinking of an anthem X but can’t justify spending £850 on a new frame when I’ve got a hand made canadian one which does everything
    Not sure how much my soul weighs, probably around 27-28lbs but its not built up with anything swanky

jonb
    Free Member

I imagine your ability to ride all day is more dependant on the area, weather and fitness than how much your bike weighs. I gave up worrying when I bought a 456, I soon got used to the burlier build and was able to continue doing the same all day routes with no issue. Unless you get silly and try riding a downhill bike then it won’t make that much difference.

aracer
    Free Member

but I wouldn’t want to be doing it on a 19lb bike. I expect most of the people on lighter bikes gave it a wide berth…

Pretty sure my 21.5lb one would be up to it – I reckon I’ve ridden worse (the limitation is the rider not the bike).

mboy
    Free Member

Maverick ML7 weighs just over 26lb
    Genesis Altitude 853 Hardtail just under 26lb

Both could be lighter, mainly the wheel department, but I don’t like flexy light wheels (I run Mavic 819 UST rims, VERY stiff rim).

DH bike was about 37lb, but it’s been dismantled now as I rarely used it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dialled Alpine with Fox 36’s, 721’s on bulbs, single ply high rollers and 9 speeds?

Probably around 33lbs? The rest of the kit is pretty average to lightish stuff

Fly Pantera bmx is somewhere around 26lbs i would say

Fishbone
    Free Member

Cotic Soul, bang on 26lbs, I’m happy with that.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

2004 Turner 5-Spot 29.2 lbs
    2004 Giant TCR Zero(with guards and lights) 20 lbs
    1998/99 Ritchey Swisscross 21.86 lbs
    De-Kerf Team SL 23.66 lbs
    Thanx Max

hicksville
    Free Member

Finding it quite intresting how heavy hardtails are coming out at….not race bikes but still more than I thought

Strangelove
    Free Member

Cannondale Carbon Rush 4
    27.75 lbs

After I have reached my target with my weight loss, I will start on the bike

marvintheandroid
    Free Member

Trek 8000ZR hardtail 2006.

In winter running mode with mud tyres, lights and mudguards : 27 lbs dead.
    Marv

BadlyWiredDog

My ML7 is a genuine 23.5lb built up with pedals and a DUC32. I don’t really know the weight of owt else I own. My ti hardtail is, I think, about 35.6lb and my Voodoo Wanga singlespeed about 19lb or so, just from lifting them up and also extrapolating with the kitchen scales. At any rate, heavier bikes are always going to climb better because the extra weight results in superior traction. I’ve found climbing on very light bikes a real issue because of this factor and often out-climb myself on a lighter bike using a heavier one. It seems counter-intuitive at first, but if you think about the physics of traction and climbing, it does make sense.

marvintheandroid
    Free Member

At any rate, heavier bikes are always going to climb better because the extra weight results in superior traction.

Well that’s certainly an individual point of view 😐

I would have thought the biggest impact on traction would be rider weight and distrubution, tyre design and pressure, frame geometry, fork setup etc – I wouldn’t think that adding weight to a bike – all other things being equal – would make it go faster up hills.

Perhaps some experimentation is in order.

Marv

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Heckler 31lb with coil lyriks and dhx coil here. DT wheels, xtr/x0, carbon and ti bits. I don’t think i could get it much lighter without compromising it.

BadlyWiredDog

I would have thought the biggest impact on traction would be rider weight and distrubution, tyre design and pressure, frame geometry, fork setup etc – I wouldn’t think that adding weight to a bike – all other things being equal – would make it go faster up hills.

Perhaps some experimentation is in order.

If you’d bothered to read my post properly, you’d see that I have indeed experimented and in my experience, the heavier bike is generally faster for the reasons I explained. Obviously that’s within certain parameters and I’m not saying that a bike weighing, say, 50lb will be faster than one that weighs half that, but in my experiments, a bike weighing 30lb was significantly better at climbing than one weighing 14lb. The lighter bike simply refused to hold traction and was bouncing all over the trail whereas the heavier one, despite using suspension front and rear, was able to dig in and climb.

I know it sounds illogical, but I saw it with my own eyes.

sq225917
    Free Member

Demo 7: 37lbs
    Blur LT: 24lbs
    Road Bike: i don’t know maybe 14lbs

xander
    Free Member

In descending order (includes dark side content)!

Dekerf Elysium Ti with XTR, Marta SLs and Durins (19.5″): 22.5 lbs
    Pinnacle CX Team cross bike SRAM Rival 09 (L): 19.1 lbs
    Felt TK2 track bike: 16 lbs
    new Cervelo R3sl road bike with SRAM Red (58cm): 14.6 lbs!!!

Garry_Lager

Aye, there’s something to be said for bringing the ale gut out with you on the climbs – it really does give traction on steep and loose ascents. I’ve trundled past many a weenie man walking his bike on a particularly steep climb in the Pentlands.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Wow that’s me…

That XC bike did end up cracking after all the XC riding I did with it, that frame weighed under 6 pounds the bike probably was around 27ish..

ski
    Free Member

My bike weights more with me sat on it!

😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

Prophet – over 35lbs.
    Scott FS – 33lbs.
    456 SE – 27-33lbs (wheels, tyres, bits).
    Kona A – 8.6kg (whatever that is in pounds).

Daffy

All weighed on a Topeak Prepstand elite wth calibrated weighing scales.

Ibis Mojo, 26.8 lbs
    On-One Ti456 24.3 lbs
    Kona A 23.5 lbs
    Klein Attitude 22.9 lbs
    Airborne Lucky Strike 17.2 lbs (without pedals)

When I had them

Orange P7one 29.8 lbs
    Santa Cruz Chameleon 25.2 lbs
    Cotic Soda, 23.9 lbs
    Cove Hummer 24.8 lbs
    Rocky Mountain ETSX 27.8 lbs

Coasting
    Free Member

Man good to finally see some honest and realistic weights.I laugh when these 20pd bikes turn up.We all take it with a pinch of salt.Getting a fully under 24 pd and a hardtail under 22 only occurs is in the land of dreams and if it did occur how long do u think the bike would last.Its hard enough getting a singlespeed ultra light and they have the benefit of no gears.Granted taking a couple of pounds off any bike certainly does make going up a lot easier.

Moda
    Free Member

Lapierre Spicy 916 – 32lbs – albeit a few spec changes to the original bike 😉

My full Suss in winter Kit Yeti ASR weighs 24.5lbs – come race time it will be around 22lbs

hicksville
    Free Member

thansk Badlywireddog for confirming my own belief re heavier bikes and climbing…..i for one agree.

Conor
    Free Member

reign, 35.5lbs, stiffee, 31lbs.

KonaTC

Kona ‘The King’ with a few new bits weighs just over 26lb

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

this drop

is near enough local riding for me (i’m edinburgh)

ride it all the time, used to be on my 21lb race ht (carbon scott scale, full xtr/reba world cups/stans olympic wheelset)
    now on a (carbon) scott spark (kit as other bike) 1.1 lb heavier than that…
    don’t really see a problem with it, i also put both bikes down the dh tracks at inners…

its rider, not bike!

and the important weights,
    are full sus race bike 22lb.
    road bike 15lb

and coastings, its nothing like the land of dreams,
    i know plenty of friends with race ht’s under 21lb…

mboy
    Free Member

Badlywireddog, you SURE your Mav is 23.5lb with a DUC on it? Mine is just over 26lb with a DUC, and a pretty light build. OK, I could lose 1lb off the wheels and tyres, maybe a tiny bit off the pedals and the saddle, and XTR cranks a bit over XT, but 23.5lb for an ML7 with a DUC sounds VERY light if you ask me!

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

21lb scandal SS

fivespot
    Free Member

My SX Trail may not be the lightest bike here, but at 31.2 lbs I’m prttey chuffed with it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘What does you bike really weigh???’ is closed to new replies.