Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What does DVT feel like?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Yesterday morning I got back from a very long flight. 8hrs, 2hrs to refuel, then another 13hrs.
    I was in economy class and am 5’11” so not overly endowed with legroom.
    On the way there I wore my silly socks and was fine, forgot to put them on the way back.
    Today I have very painful calves, both of them right at the top, really finding it hard to walk, but oddly enough riding a bike to and from work made it better temporarily, moving in general seems to help even though it hurts to do it.
    Anything to worry about or is it just a bit sore because I was sat still and cramped up for so long and I just need to stop being a wuss?

iolo
    Free Member

It feels like a jack Russell bighting your leg.
    Also there’s a constant throbbing and your leg will be swollen.
    If you think you have it get your arse to a and e.
    I was lucky I did.
    The meds are a bit shit. Especially the warfarin.

andrewh
    Free Member

Not really swollen.
    A bit tingly but not throbbing as such.
    No teeth marks from any sort of dog.
    Left has just taken over from right as being the worst one, should it come and go like that?

hairyneep
    Free Member

Probably nothing to worry about BUT get to A&E ASAP (like now) to be on the safe side. Pain in the calves is a classic symptom, other symptoms could be breathlessness, chest pain and hot calves.

I was diagnosed with a DVT last year following a knee injury in Spain and then travelling home with my leg in a cast. I had no symptoms at all, it was picked up on and MRI scan, they called me at 8pm and told me to get to A&E straight away. I was devastated when they first told me but once I got used to the idea of being on tablets for 6 months it was fine.

felt
    Free Member

Used to live in Aus. And made numerous flights like that. First time, I wore the silly socks, after that, didn’t bother. Main thing is to keep ‘working’ your legs, walk around the plane, stretch, etc.

You’ve only given it 24hrs after a long flight to have a ride. 🙄

If it’s no better in the morning, go to your docs, just to be sure.

scaredypants

it’s a simple test(s) to see if there’s a clot – could turn nasty if there is, so get checked

molgrips
    Free Member

Like bad cramp according to my Dad, that doesn’t go away.

andrewh
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ll leave it overnight and give the GP a ring if it still feels funny tomorrow.

hairyneep
    Free Member

Like I said, I had no symptoms at all but still had it. Do yourself a favour and get it checked regardless of how it feels in the morning

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

A good friend had it he went to A &E they took it very seriously...DONT LEAVE IT

He was off work for 3 months and spent a long time having daily injections in his stomach…

hughjardon
    Free Member

Please don’t leave this!
    My brother had a DVT following an op on his ankle and a period of immobility, as he got up to go upstairs to bed it moved into his lungs and he collapsed, paramedics were unable to help 🙁

That was 6 years ago, so whilst I can’t tell you what a DVT feels like, I could give you an insight on how it left my Mum & Dad feeling, me, two other brothers, his wife and two young son’s.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Hopefully the OP is going to get himself checked out…hope all okay fella

hugh jardon – sorry for your sad loss 🙁

epicyclo

I’ve had DVTs twice, both following flights from Oz.

Both times ended up in Intensive Care (or whatever they call it) after ignoring early signs such as unusual breathlessness and dizziness.

Get checked.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I don’t remember having any pain (that I could feel anyhow) when I had a DVT, anyhow, six month on Warfarin soon sorted it out.

andrewh
    Free Member

Still not good. Going to pop in to A&E on the way to work (in the van today!) and see what they say about it.

andrewh
    Free Member

So, spent 5 hours in A&E.
    Been prodded and poked. Had a blood test, which said I had a clot so they sent me for an ultrasound to confirm it but nothing showed up on that so they let me go. Have to go to my GP early next week for a follow-up.

epicyclo

No blood thinners?

DrP

No blood thinners?

sent me for an ultrasound to confirm it but nothing showed up on that so they let me go

Unlikely given the negative doppler/USS.

DrP

epicyclo

Thought it would be done as a precaution, but fair enough.

andrewh
    Free Member

No thinners, no.
    They said usually 3-4 days to get me booked in for an ultrasound and said if it was that long they would give me a warferin (sp?) injection as a precaution but because of the positive blood test they bumped me up the list and got me scanned in a couple of hours so no injection given.
    Do you think I should take a couple of asprin just in case? Can’t do any harm to take them unnecessarily can it?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Take a couple of aspirins but more importantly focus on this :

“sent me for an ultrasound to confirm it but nothing showed up on that so they let me go”

🙂

DrP

Do you think I should take a couple of asprin just in case? Can’t do any harm to take them unnecessarily can it?

Famous last words…..!!!

DrP

footflaps

Guy in the local cycling club got DVT in his calf, the clot broke up and blocked an artery in his lung, so a 1/3 of one lung was starved of oxygen and died. He was on warafin for a couple of years. Said the worst bit was they left the dead lung section in situ and it felt really odd. On the plus side his haemoglobin adjusted to make up for the loss of lung, so he was still an aerobic monster, just has a haemocrit over 50% now.

johnellison
    Free Member

It could be nothing (I had a similar experience a couple of years ago, turned out I was dehydrated… 8O) but then again as has already been stated – get it checked out and the sooner the better. It can’t do any harm, can it?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

For the info of people here… the d-dimer blood test doesn’t say you do have a clot, a low level can say there is a 99% chance you don’t, but most of the +ves we see do not have a DVT when USS done.

And many DVTs have no symptoms at all

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Mine was found with an ultrasound.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

That’s the way most of them are found these days. But the process is we calculate a wells score to look at the probability first, and if it is low- moderate we then do a d-dimer. If that is negative we leave it there, if positive we give clexane or rivoroxaban to start treatment, pending a USS (ultrasound scan). If that is positive, warfarin or a NOAC drug. If negative reassure and stop treatment.

This is all much smoother and means less time in hospital than 20 years ago.

andrewh
    Free Member

Hmm. I’m going back for a follow up appointment today. Why do you think they ask me to do this if the scan was negative?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why do you think they ask me to do this if the scan was negative?

Because apparently you have “very painful calves” and you are “really finding it hard to walk” ?

So what did they say ?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What does DVT feel like?’ is closed to new replies.