• This topic has 32 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What does 2 year no questions asked warranty mean?
  • wynne
    Free Member

If you read this on a website advertising a (bike) product what would you take it to mean if you broke said product within two years?

If anything ever goes wrong, rest easy knowing that ******* backs these industry-leading ****** with an equally impressive warranty—two-years, no questions-asked.

Just asking as I’m mid-wrangle.

Ta.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I send back the bent and twisted mess and get a new one

tomhoward

In theory if it breaks, they fix or replace it. But they may still have caveats (original owner, reasonable use etc)

andyl
    Free Member

I would take it to mean you can drive a truck over it, as with those carbon wheels in the manufacturers advert.

Bez

It means you’re not allowed to ask questions about it, so you’ve just invalidated it.

julians
    Free Member

Depends on how the item in question broke. A warranty is usually cover against failures caused during normal use,it doesn’t mean the item is indestructible. Unless it states they are indestructible.

Eg if we’re talking about a set of wheels, and you drive your car over them causing them to break in half, I wouldn’t expect the warranty to give me a new set of wheels.

The same goes for crash damage of the item ,I wouldn’t expect a warranty to cover replacement of the item if it broke during a crash.

If the wheels broke just riding along then I’d expect new wheels.

It’ll all hinge on what is considered normal use for the item in question.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unless the warranty says no questions asked. Then I’d expect no questions.
    If there are no other terms and conditions stated then, it’s not asking any questions and replacing it.

lucky7500

It should mean that if the product breaks while being used broadly for its intended purpose within two years of purchase you get a replacement no matter what.
    Actually it usually means that the manufacturer doesn’t expect the product to last much over two years. ‘No questions asked’ will most likely become a lot of in depth questions asked in a desperate attempt to push blame on to the customer!!

wynne
    Free Member

THanks for the replies. If you specifically say “no questions asked” can that be caveated?

tomhoward

THanks for the replies. If you specifically say “no questions asked” can that be caveated?

‘Did you cut it in half with a hacksaw?’, for example, is possibly one of the caveated questions

jam-bo

Superstar? 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Yes, by the actual warranty terms and conditions unfortunately.
    I get what you are saying though, and it’s a pretty stupid thing for anyone to say, as of course they are going to ask questions, on an item as complex and costly as a bike.
    Things like Zippo Lighters, Leatherman Tools and Fischer Space pens have literall “no questions asked” warranty. They just replace whatever you post them.

I guess you don’t want to answer the questions they are asking 😂👍

rene59
    Free Member

It means read the small print.

mickmcd
    Free Member

sounds like a something may says to juncker

tomhoward

I guess you don’t want to answer the questions they are asking

Or has answered it, but given the wrong answer…

wynne
    Free Member

Also – and this is annnoying – what if the manufacturer had ceased to offer this warranty (unknown to me when i purchased) but the retailer continues to advertise the product with a very prominent promise of a ‘no questions asked’ warranty? Isn’t that some kind of mis-selling?

tomhoward

Your contract is with the retailer.

montgomery
    Free Member

Old model Easton Haven wheels bought in an end-of-line sale?

ampthill

Can you quote more of the text. Usually warranties cover defects.

mattyfez

It’s a wishy washy term.

I was about to say read the small print, but I was beaten to it so I’ll just say: your statutory rights apply, as they always do.

Can it reasonably be expected to last longer than 2 years? Assuming you haven’t hacksawed it in half 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like the real issue is a disconnect between retailer and distributor?

You better stop being so coy and name some names sharpish or were all gonna lose interest

Simon

Do some googling it’s easy to find out.

bruneep

montgomery has it i’d say

wynne
    Free Member

I’m going to be a bit coy as i’m still trying to sort it with the retailer.
    I am still puzzled. Irrespective of small print is not just a downright lie for a retailer to persist with a promise that even the manufacturer has withdrawn?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not a downright lie if it’s through ignorance.
    Be reasonable and don’t go in all guns blazing accusing people of telling lies.

wynne
    Free Member

I haven’t actually put it like that to the retailer. I imagine a manufacturer would inform a retailer, probably via the distributor, of such a change in terms especially on such a bold promise.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Assuming my google-fu hasn’t let me down, I had a warranty claim with a different model of wheels from the same manufacturer and retailer. This was approx 18 months after purchase. First they asked for pics, then they asked me to return the wheels (which was pretty straight forward as I had kept the boxes and used their return service). A couple of weeks later I was given gift vouchers equal to the original purchase price.

nickdavies

Dont bother being coy, it will have no bearing on here what happens with your warranty. Not much info has been given as to what youve done and to what.

My take would be its a guarantee of no manufacturing fault, it guarantees you against their products not having a fault with manufacture in the first 2 years. If youve wrapped a wheel around a tree, doesnt mean easton will give you a new one. Keep wrangling, if the retailer wont play ball a word with easton might get you somewhere – free rim or somethi; to rebuild. I split a kinesis rim once and they were brilliant, sent me out a foc replacement i just had to pay to get the rim swapped.

dovebiker

Warranties relate to things under the bike company’s control like design and manufacture, typically they exclude things like wear and tear and things they consider beyond reasonable use – so things like racing and jumping get excluded. “No questions asked” is an ambiguous term as it probably just relates to the specific warranty terms, with the big list of exclusions.

slowoldman

Ignore me I’m having trouble posting!

convert

Without having to be too specific have you actually ‘abused’ them? I.e. regardless of that phrase is there anything you have done to them that could reasonably be deemed by a sentient human being to have been above and beyond intended use? Driven over them in a car, used a pair of xc wheels in a downhill race etc.

I guess we’ll have to take a nil response as an admission of yes 🙂

wynne
    Free Member

No. They have been ridden hard in some very rocky places and occasionally dinged, but not jumped or crashed. These ‘virtually indestructible’ all mountain race wheels have had a fairly easy life under me.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sorry for your troubles OP,

going back to the original question, what does it mean to me? Absolutely nothing.

Warranties have always been a big thing in Mountain Biking, after all, we take things we probably spend too much money on and put them in harms way, for fun.

I’ve been sold “Lifeftime Warranty” by one of the biggest brands in the business (Spesh), happy days, frame cracks 4 years later in normal use, original owner, proof of purchase you’d think you’d be covered yeah? Nope, because they rewrote their policy 2 years after I bought it and made it apply retrospectively that it was now only 2 years, how can they do that? Well because 400 words into the original small print that they could do so, if they wanted.

Also “Lifetime” I’d guess most people would think that means your lifetime yeah? No, it’s often the lifetime of the item, which is usually an undetermined length of time, but rarely more than 5 years.

Add into the fact that quite a few shops who are keener to protect their relationship with their suppliers than their customers (yeah, thanks for the Evans). “I’m not prepared to send that to SRAM as you’ve abused it” ‘Abused’ in this case being using a dropper in muddy / gritty conditions, and SRAM generally being pretty generous with the reverb replacements.

Anyway, rant over, for now. ‘Warranty’ is a vague term, it really means manufacturing fault which will usually show up within hours of use, not years, rarely doesn’t mean the same a guarantee like “if you use this mountain bike on mountains we guarantee it won’t break for X years” or “spend more than you should because you won’t need to replace it for X years” and whatever it says it doesn’t really matter because if they screw you over, it’s not like the police will raid their HQ for you, you’ll still have to take them to court, your only weapon is fear of bad PR, but for whatever reason most of us won’t name and shame.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What does 2 year no questions asked warranty mean?’ is closed to new replies.