Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What do you wear under your shorts?!
  • marksnook
    Free Member

My current padded chamois type shorts/ bib shorts have become increasingly uncomfortable. So those of you that don’t wear such garments, what do you wear? You full commando? Surely not boxer shorts? Sorry if this has been covered recently but my ass would love to know!

DickBarton

Nothing…why would you wear anything else???

ton

Primark cotton undies. like white cotton cycling shorts really. no padding.

desperatebicycle

You mean what do we wear under baggy/mtb shorts?
    I wear normal padded lycras under my baggies, have a fondness for Sugoi ones.
    Under lycras, nothing, cos.. well you don’t.

But, I’m sure there will everything from nothing, to bib shorts, to liners, to briefs etc worn under baggies!

zerocool

Either chamois-free sports undershorts (currently adidas) but I’ve just bought a pair of Saxx boxers that have a special pouch to hold your ‘frank and beans’ out the way used to be a chamois man but now find them awkward feeling. You get used to it and toughen up after a while.

On the road bike it’s still bib shorts with a chamois though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Chamois liner shorts, I have about eight pairs.

Under lycras, nothing, cos.. well you don’t.

Well nobody told me that back in the day, and I spent my first year or so wearing cotton underpants under mine.

😀

thegeneralist
    Free Member

So those of you that don’t wear such garments, what do you wear? You full commando? Surely not boxer shorts?

Bawbag bamboo boxers.
    https://www.tiso.com/apbyy8ti0200/bawbags-m-bawler-triple-mens-multi-apbyy8ti0200 Absurdly awesome. Before that it was RL cotton boxers but of course they tended to stay wet. The bawbags are brilliant. If its warm and rainy then I wear them under a Fox shell waterproof shorts, which is a revelation.

Sorry if this has been covered recently but my ass would love to know

Doubt the BBs will fit a donkey TBH

chiefgrooveguru

Stretchy synthetic boxer shorts. So I guess I do wear lycra shorts under my baggies, just very short unpadded ones!

chevychase

Nothing.

Can’t abide underwear of any sort.

alan1977
    Free Member

Shorts…padded…

ready

Do people really not wear padded pants?? I can only last about 10mins without! My undercarriage must be super delicate/sensitive

ajantom

Do people really not wear padded pants?? I can only last about 10mins without! My undercarriage must be super delicate/sensitive

No, you’re not alone. I can only think those who don’t have become desensitised. Padded lycra bib shorts under baggies…always!

nickc

Nothing under padded shorts, but sometime baggies over the top.

It’s up to the individual isn’t it? I mean I wouldn’t want to do any distance without a chamois, but other folk I know hate them (weirdos) . Wear whatever’s comfy

frankconway

Spanx

marksnook
    Free Member

Oh I am talking under baggies. Not about that Lycra look to be honest! Yeah like I said a chamois has suddenly started to feel uncomfortable. In my head regular boxers would just get wet and stay wet! Will try a pair of saxx I have, I suppose any wicking undergarment should do the trick

joebristol

Is it just your padded shorts have seen better days / have compacted down and aren’t much good anymore?

I found the basic endura clickfast liners were alright for about a year – then they started to chafe / be uncomfortable. Move to dhb basic lycra shorts and they were grand for a few years. Then same again – last time round I went for DHB aeron waist shorts – pretty good. Have also used my road endura fs260 bibs but I found unless you use chamois cream with them they aren’t great.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

A dab of Old Spice on each gonad, another behind the sack, and you’re good to go!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Untill this year I would have said whatever bibs were comfy.

But I’ve just worn normal cotton boxers and normal cotton t-shirts all summer and not died.

I’m now commuting 10miles each way and mostly concluded that at least in part the “you must wear cycling kit, and you must shower when you get to work” philosophy is self perpetuating.

Depends on saddle choice to an extent too.

jkomo

Chanel number five

markgraylish
    Free Member

I used to ride with a chamois of some sort for any type of ride (MTB, road, commute) of just about any duration but in the last 2 years or so, I switched to non-padded, synthetic boxers (Cheap Fruit of the Loom from Walmart) for MTB and commuting. They are longer enough that they don’t bunch up around the groin, have no seams in awkward places and are light enough to dry very quickly. Baggies go over the top, of course.

So much more comfortable post ride! Ive been riding for over 25 years so my arse must be toughened up and desensitized!

Still use Lycra/Chamois bibs for road riding though as riding around in just underpants isn’t socially acceptable 😃

big_scot_nanny

Pearl Izumi cargo mesh bibs

Klunk
    Free Member

got 2 pairs of random aldi (crane) padded commuting lycra “brief’s”. the most comfy things ever under my baggies, funny as the padding is virtually nonexistent. I guess as with saddles let yer arse decide.

momo

Mtb up to a couple of hours, I’m quite happy with these decathlon boxers I use them in the gym too, hold everything in place and don’t get that horrible sweaty baws feeling from them.

Saddle shape makes a lot of difference though, I’ve just changed the saddle on my hard tail, I really wasn’t getting on well with the Fabric Scoop radius on there (fine with the flat one on my full sis though) and stuck the spesh power from my gravel bike on to try, it stayed on and I’ve had to buy another for the gravel bike.

For longer rides it’s either bibs or some lightly padded boxer type jobs that came with some Scott shorts I bought a few years ago.

As said above, bibs do lose their support after so many wears (I’ve got a couple of pairs of Morvelo ones that aren’t doing the job like they used to, but I can’t bring myself to Chuck them yet so they’ve been relegated to turbo use)

TheBrick
    Free Member

Boxers form me! Majority of my riding now is more sesioning winch and plummet etc but even when I was doing some road riding I was fine up to about 50 miles and that was on a fixed wheel so less chance to stand and chill! I never used padded lycra when touring either (sometimes ronhill tracksters but still with boxers under) and that would be riding all day.

I don’t actually find padded lycra comfortable but on really long rides I do wear it when the feeling of wearing lycra is better than not, but like I said it was only really on big days on a road bike I ever felt the need.

halifaxpete

Baggies with Padded liners, cotton boxers too have done since I restarted riding 10 years ago. Never had any bother or used creams ect.

plus-one

Thong as usual !

wordnumb
    Free Member

It’s shorts all the way down.

FOG

My tender butt definitely needs some padding to keep it cheerful!
    The only times I have found padding uncomfortable are when the shorts were past their use-by date. I think they are one of the few items of cycling clothing that don’t always show their wear. With my generous posterior I seem to only get a couple of years max from them.

soundb0y
    Free Member

Padded bib with baggies on top

stevious

Under my shorts I wear another pair of smaller shorts. Under those are another smaller pair. Then another, smaller still. And a smaller pair under that. I think it just keeps on going after that but I’m too afraid to look.

thejesmonddingo

Suspender belt and stockings,just in case.

sirromj

Uniqlo Airism. The fit on me is just right, not loose nor tight. Most of the padded shorts I own seem to be designed without consideration for our junk! Just don’t like it all squashed together like that yuck!! Might be tempted by those Decathlon boxers, but they look too snug.

Stay loose!

reeksy

A kilt of course!

I only wear padded shorts on a +2 hour ride, and even then I’m not entirely sure why I bother. I don’t really notice any difference.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What do you wear under your shorts?!’ is closed to new replies.