Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What do you wear for wet commutes?
  • maxray
    Free Member

Do you bother trying to stay dry?

Did my first full commute (23m) of the year today on me new bike.. a bit of rain wasnt going to stop me. In reality it was torrential and even my trusty previously waterproof messenger bag was breached.

As I was wringing out my gloves and socks it got me wondering whether some of you commute in the rain and arrive to work relatively dry?

My main gripe was my feet, my Northwave spds just are not even slightly waterproof.

So what kit is ace for commuting when its inclement?

neil853
    Free Member

My main favourites are my endura baa baa skull cap and base layer, they keep me warm and are excellent at temp regulation. My shimano winter boots are a close second but these are only truly waterproof when used with waterproof trousers. I very rarely wear w/proof trousers, only if its cold and raining as i mainly wear tights. Gloves are aldi waterproof ones which are nothing short of amazing (for £5!).

The key for me is being warm enough, not dry. I tend to use a soft shell quite a lot (Scott one).

My commute is shorter than yours though (12 miles), don’t know if this affects things.

DezB
    Free Member

Altura NightVision waterproof trousers with knee warmers underneath.
    New “Protective” waterproof jacket – no rain got in, but my Merino got sweaty.
    Feet are crucial though – normal spd shoes, but Sealskins underneath plus overshoes. Feet dry, shoes clean.

Worst thing is the road grime filthing the bike up!

Alex

Mudguards! Make a huge difference (on the road bike). Then Spesh Defrosters, Endura Waterproof shorts, Endura rain jacket, Spesh Deflect gloves, determined expression 🙂

richmtb

I generally try to keep my feet and my body dry.

Sealskins for the feet and a good waterproof jacket works to this end.

But my commute is under half an hour so getting a little wet isn’t normally a big deal

c
    Free Member

I’ve GOT to fit my mudguards!
    Waterproof trousers that I found 3/4 of the way up Blencathra, wet feet but dry legs.
    Baa baa top and mega old raceface wind / showerproof.
    Dry socks in my bag for when I get to work.
    Only 5 miles though 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yes – the Crud Raceguards! Mean I can sit down when I get into the office :0)

dthom3uk

9 Mile Commute:

Sealskinz Socks
    NorthWave GoreTex Boots
    DHB Roubaix Leggings
    DHB Merino long sleeve base layer
    Gore Phantom Softshell
    Endura Waterproof gloves
    Aldi Skull cap

If it’s really torrential I have a DHB Event Jacket and Endura Event 3/4 shorts.

kimbers

sealskin socks
    mavic sprint jacket
    base layer
    thin jersey
    leggings
    12 quid army surplus goretex trousers off ebay

sorted
    8miles

cp

for my 2 miler(!) if it’s raining I don – dhb event jacket and altura attack full length trousers.

but I wear my work clothes underneath, so kind of NEED to stay dry. Combined with decent full length mudguards, I do.

If I’m riding in the winter rain, it’s the dhb event jacket again, with altura attack 3/4’s and tights underneath. full length guards on the road bike, crud catchers on the mtb.

you can only fight the rain so far. keeping warm is the key.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

nothing but budgie smugglers and swimming goggles for me. skin is waterproof! 😮

ourmaninthenorth

I can hang kit in the changing room at work, so it tends to dry out by the time I put it back on.

Like others, I focus on warmth, rather than waterproofing. I get sweaty enough as it is, without boiling inside a jacket.

Wet winter days: Endura Road overshoes and Sealskinz socks. Gilet or windjacket (neither esp waterproof).And a cap under the lid to keep the worst off my specs.

Everything else is lycra, so gets wet by stays warm. Gloves are cheapo Aldi neoprene jobs with silk liners. Get more sweaty than rain soaked.

Only 17 miles each way, so no more than 2 hours a day in the rain. Commuting in the rain is good for the soul..!

RealMan
    Free Member

Altura NightVision waterproof trousers

+1.

I only ever have to do short commutes, and tend to use a bmx, so no possibility of mudguards. As my commutes are short and hard, I tend to just wear a pair of thin gloves, and a pair of thicker socks over my normal ones and just a pair of trainers. My feet do get soaked, and will be trying some waterproof walking boots instead. Also goretex jacket is brilliant.

imn

As others have noted, mudguards make a huge difference; the front guard helps keet feet dry and rear prevents wet backside. On my 8 mile trip if it’s raining before I leave I use:
    Paramo Vasco jacket over a base layer
    windproof-fronted tights for winter (give similar protection as softshell jacket)
    Shimano MW boots
    Aldi ‘softshell’ full finger gloves

I normally end up with wet ankles and socks where water runs from the neoprene of the boots, but can’t be bothered with sealskinz.

maxray
    Free Member

determined expression

lol 8)

Yeah, I wasn’t cold as such and to be honest dont mind getting wet except my feet which got both cold and wet.

No where to dry stuff in work but it isn’t as bad sticking damp kit on when you are going on the homeward leg.

Think I will sack off the waterproof trousers next time and stick to the shorts, I had a silly thought that they might actually reduce how wet my feet got but once I was out and realised it was “rivers of water in the gutter” type rain I knew i was in for a soaking either way.

Biggest annoyance was my brand new flare rear light detaching itself from my bag somewhere along the route.. grrrr

crazy-legs

Jeans, trainers, T-shirt then I have a special waterproof outer layer called a car.

😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Waterproof High Viz Jacket
    DHB tights
    waterproof over shoes
    Winter gloves (sort of waterproof)

But the most important are FULL MUD GUARDS!

woffle
    Free Member

30+ miles a day – don’t bother trying to stay dry as pointless after 30 minutes in hard, driving rain. When it’s cold a merino base layer, then a jersey, arm warmers if it’s cold, and finally a gilet. Endura shorts with bib tights underneath if necessary. Cycling cap with merino beanie if required under the helmet. Sidi dragons with overshoes in the wet/ cold. If I keep my core warm and protected from wind then I’m fine.

Lucky to have a shower at work with heated towel rail to dry clothes off 🙂

doom_mountain

About 18 miles each way.
    Waterproof 3/4s over tights, shimano winter boots, merino socks and base layer, normally just a windproof jacket unless it’s really wet.
    never found a glove that keeps my hands dry, Gore ones keep me warm tho.

Full mudguards, glasses and a peaked helmet are a must.
    Gloves straight from the radiator at the end of the day 😉

imp999
    Free Member

Maxray,
    completely off topic(I can’t find an Email ad for you), did you sell the XC120 frame you had?

Cheers.

rewski
    Free Member

I wear my muddy shimano am40’s just to clean them, otherwise pointless even to try to keep dry, I recommend sealskin socks and gloves though. I even put my wet clothes back on in the evening

oxym0r0n

9 miles each way: Full mudguards for me, then merino baselayer, waterproof, waterproof shorts over tights, winter gloves – I just expect that my feet are going to get wet and try to dry out gloves/socks/tights as much as I can on the radiator before children arrive in the morning!

My socks got hung up on the maths number line when I left them unattended last time 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

Actually, ignore my last post – I wear a train, sometimes a bus.

steve_b77
    Free Member

7.5 miles each way and I wear the following when it’s wet:

El cheapo Aldi Waterproof
    Lusso Max Repel Bib tights
    Gore Tool II gloves
    Normal SPD shoes with BBB heavy duty neoprene over shoes

Feet, body and hands stay dry, leg get damp but not bad really.

Oh yeah and a set of guards too

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

full mudguards

flashes
    Free Member

This wet season I’ll be mainly wearing…………

edhornby

cheapie waterproof trousers for when it’s really wet and cold, rolled up to 3/4 length

baselayer, short sleeve jersey underneath a waterproof jacket is usually enough unless it’s really cold and then I use a softshell jacket

aldi gloves. overshoes for the very worst weather

skinnysteel
    Free Member

A bus

Dogsby

Mudguards are absolutely key to staying dry. I combine these with Endura waterproof overshoes, endura superlight shorts, waterproof jacket and strike gloves. Works well on my 30 min commute and I am staying reletively dry. I have had lots prative recently!!

Dogsby

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What do you wear for wet commutes?’ is closed to new replies.