Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What do you watch when indoor training – any recommendations?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I’m planning some indoor training this winter to supplement my usual weekend and night rides. Hoping to hit the ground running in the spring with a good base fitness level after an interrupted year of moving house/DIY etc. Hired a decent spinner bike so ready to go.

Can anyone recommend any good training vidoes, either workout based, or probably better for me bike races/events etc to watch whilst training? Online stuff would be good but also willing to buy stuff thats worthwhile.

Cheers

Paceman

glupton1976
    Free Member

Sufferfest.

End of thread.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

What they said. ^^^^^^^^

The two I’m regularly doing at the moment are Angles and Revolver. Did Angles last night and my legs certainly know it this morning. Revolver on Thursday.

Paceman
    Free Member

They look like the ticket, cheers for that 😀

Rochey
    Free Member

Cheers STW, I have a go too, cost can mount up though, do they do a deal if you buy more?

flange
    Free Member

To be fair, if I’m doing proper intervals on the Turbo then I can’t really watch anything as I’m too busy trying not to be sick/pass out.

I’ve only heard good things about the sufferfest stuff though – can you get them on iTunes?

Haze

I probably wasn’t using my turbo properly until I started using these, can also recommend Angels to get you started.

atlaz
    Free Member

You can get some packs which save a small amount. This week on the turbo though I’ve been watching BBC iPlayer (watched a doc on Escoffier last night) as I have cues for increasing cadence/power/effort from TrainerRoad on the computer so don’t need to worry about Sufferfest providing the workout. That said, if there’s nothing on, I’ll switch back to the sufferfest vids.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Sufferfest is where it’s at..

Paceman
    Free Member

Tried the full Sufferfest ‘Angels’ workout for the first time tonight; much much better than my previous training on the spinner. I particularly enjoyed the final climb up Alpe D’Huez 😈

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Another Sufferfest fan here.

I have been alternating between Angels and Local Hero. I put in so much more effort when doing these, to just watching TV catchup stuff/listening to music. Even if I only do half an hour of them! (I’ll get to the end one day…)

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m a cheapskate! My turbo came with a dvd that displays a number for the resistance setting. So when the vid is riding up a steep hill, you crank it to 10, flatout downhill hill is on 1 etc
    I watch that with the sound down and listen to free podcasts of workout music.
    I’m not sure how scientific the rides they’ve put together are though…

Otherwise, if I just want to keep the resistance the same and do my own intervals, I just find some TdF clips on youtube and watch those with the sound down.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I just crank up the volume on my stereo and watch the back of the garage door.

onehundredthidiot

Sufferfest “the hunted” today. was sweating out my elbows, window fully open, and breathing out my arse.

BearBack
    Free Member

best thing I’ve found is a hot woman in lycra on the turbo infront…

Whilst not always available, there’s probably an ‘online’ version of the same thing?!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I find sufferfest good for giving me a routine to follow, music videos good as they are only three to four minutes each so break up a session into sections I can mentally deal with or, if doing my own intervals, it doesn’t matter as I will be having a horrible time regardless.

jezandu
    Free Member

Agree with the above. Sufferfest is a great workout and doesn’t get boring. However, for a free alternative and to give you something to watch go onto you tube. There are some people who have filmed their hour long xc races. I change my gears to suit what they ride ie choose harder gears when they climb. Bonus for me is that they are done without music so you can happily but on your own music.

Jez http://www.followingthechainline.blogspot.com

kevin1911

Jez, do they not have camera shake? Reckon that would make me puke from seasickness…

I’ve been watching various MTB DVDs, but it becomes too easy to just coast. Reckon I’ll try one of those sufferfest videos

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just watched one of the sufferfest demos.

How are you guys gauging effort & cadence – are you using bike computers with a cadence function & HRMs or powermeters; or are you just winging it?

HTTP404
    Free Member

How are you guys gauging effort & cadence – are you using bike computers with a cadence function & HRMs or powermeters; or are you just winging it?

I’m using trainerroad which integrates with the videos to provide virtual power (an exponent of speed) and use a Garmin ANT+ cadence/Speed transmitter.

You can also use a speedometer.

To get the best out your turbo session you should do a functional threshold test. With a bike computer you can measure your avg speed over the test.

It can also be done with an HRM but this measurement lags a minute or so behind your actual effort.

At a guess 7/10 on Sufferfest would be your FTP. And anything above would be an increase of this in 10% steps.

jezandu
    Free Member

When you buy the videos it gives a scale for you to use which is based on rpe (rate of perceived exertion) It works quite well and I try backing it up with my hrm monitor but it does lag behind my effort at times.

Yes there is a bit of camera shake with the YouTube videos but sometimes I don’t want a full on painful workout so they make do for endurance sessions

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What do you watch when indoor training – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.