• This topic has 69 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • What do you use your porch for?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Our kids are getting to the age where they can put their own coats and shoes away when we get in. Unfortunately the coat rack is way too high for them to reach so they end up plonking their coats on the floor or the bottom of the stairs.

I’ve suggested putting 2 rows of coat hooks in the porch so the kids can have a row and we can have a row. My wife likes the idea but she doesn’t want to get rid of the coat rack in the hall. She wants 2 places to hang coats about 2 feet apart, on opposite sides of the same wall actually. Her reason is she doesn’t want the porch to be full of coats but I’ve told her we’ll put the hooks in a place where the coats won’t be pushing against the window so won’t look untidy from the outside which is her main concern.

Our porch doesn’t get used for anything else at the moment and think the coats would be a good use for it.

What does everyone is their porch for? I’m talking enclosed ones, not ones open to the elements

pat12
    Free Member

Amazon deliveries

myti
    Free Member

Shoes, poo bags, ball thrower, wet coats till they are dry enough to come inside. Porch not big enough or heated enough to keep nice coats in all the time.

globalti
    Free Member

I drive it to the shops just down the road then park it on the drive to show my neighbours how rich I am.

binners

I’ve got some lovely original artwork up in ours. God knows why? It’s not like I, or anyone else, is ever going to stand in the porch and look at it.

I’ve never even given this a moments thought. I really should move it to somewhere I can actually see it

Other than that it’s the standard shoe and coat mountain

P-Jay
    Free Member

We call ours a Beetl, it’s not posh enough to be a Porch.

nuke

Wellies & a metal cow (not full size)…oh, and like pat, Amazon deliveries. Bit damp/dusty for coats

RustySpanner

Chilli plants, peppers, a big pot thing with walking poles and large plastic windmills in it and a couple of dozen pairs of shoes/boots/wellies/Crocs…

singlespeedstu

I like to sit on mine with a shotgun.

fettlin

Banjo practise.

matt_outandabout

Nudity.

singlespeedstu

Naked banjo practice with a shotgun FTW.

mechanicaldope

Amazon. And spiders…

twistedpencil

Shoe Jenga with the added pushchair tumbling risk… Some rocks from the alps, the occasional dead mouse…

StirlingCrispin

Coats, shoes, cycle helmets.

Matt has a point – last time I cycled through his scheme, a bloke was standing by his front door in his undies wondering why his world was suddenly illuminated by a mass of mountain bikers. #TrueStory

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Tempted to build a porch extension . 3 sqm allowed I think .

Shoes and coats would be kept there and pram. Tight fit no doubt

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hot tub huntin’

Phil_H

Oops!

breadcrumb

I keep pop and beer in ours as it’s nice and cool.

We use the side door so coats get dumped in the utility which is toasty warm due to the boiler living in there.

rOcKeTdOg

haven’t got a porch

seosamh77
    Free Member

Should this kinda presumptuousness not be in the middleclasstrackworld sub forum? 😆

thejesmonddingo

I use my porch for porching,obviously! Some people are so dumb.

mrhoppy

Insulation mostly, and a break between the weather.

Alphabet

Amazon deliveries and a log store for dry logs.

geoffj

Access to the boot room – obvs

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Making sweet sweet love to the umbrella stand

breadcrumb

Oh yeah, keeping a couple of baskets of logs in too.

RustySpanner

breadcrumb – Member
    I keep pop and beer in ours as it’s nice and cool.

Ours gets too hot to porch ma cans.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I store perch in my porch. I like to pitch a patch of putty on the wall too.

Actually our utility room does the job of a porch so the porch is a place where the junk mail piles up and we fill a carrier bag with the stuff once every 6 months.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have not had one since 2001 but back then we had a cupboard (sliding door type) for coats and shoes and a bench (cut down old pew) for sitting down to put shoes on and off. Kids would take their coats off there and we would hang them in the cupboard.

ahwiles
    Free Member

A porch? A ****ing porch?!

Who’s got a ****ing porch these days?

****ing bourgeois *****.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I store perch in my porch

Help! I’m imprisoned in a porch.

Our porch is completely empty and only has one door to the outside and no door to the rest of the house.

chip
    Free Member

Porch, I can only dream of a porch. You’ll be telling me you have a downstairs loo next. Yuppie bastards.

timba
    Free Member

I wish we had this dilemma. Front door threshold is 600mm above ground level

funkmasterp

what are people meaning by porch here? I’m seeing a big wooden walkway with one of those swing seats, a screen door and a fancy handrail.Has this forum moved to the Deep South?

bullheart
    Free Member

We do not have a porch. We have a Spaniel biohazard decontamination chamber.

With a direct comms link to Porton Down.

matt_outandabout

Porch, I can only dream of a porch. You’ll be telling me you have a downstairs loo next.

Wait until you find out how many have a ‘spare’ room for drying washing…

wordnumb
    Free Member

I sometimes pretend our porch is an airlock, just in case I ever need to eject an alien into the cold emptiness of space. It’s the little things that get you through the day.

swoosh
    Free Member

funkmasterp – Member
    what are people meaning by porch here? I’m seeing a big wooden walkway with one of those swing seats, a screen door and a fancy handrail.Has this forum moved to the Deep South?

In the OP I was meaning a 6×4 upvc type thing in front of your front door.

chip
    Free Member

Your thinking of a veranda

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘What do you use your porch for?’ is closed to new replies.