Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What do you use for road rash ?
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

Binned it on a high speed corner. Road had recent farm vehicle use so probably contains loads of horrible organisms.

Can’t find the iodine, will ‘Savlon Wound wash’ do the job ? Doesn’t seem to stinging nearly enough to be effective.

Klunk
    Free Member

sudocream

flap_jack
    Free Member

good call. already slavered over the saddle sores, I’ll get it back out.

Sandwich

Cheap remedy is saline, a reasonably large amount of salt in the water should do for the bugs.

Cover with a dry bandage during the day and leave uncovered overnight. You can use the skin in an aerosol stuff but it will smart!

flap_jack
    Free Member

I don’t like covering it but the dogs are developing an interest in the fresh meat !

project
    Free Member

Hot bath with a load of salt in it, and some foambath, it will sting but it will wash it out, then clean with some soap or shower gel, works for me.

Dogs have an antiseptic in their saliva along with bacteria, they als lick their genetals, so best to not let the dogs lick your wounds.

_tom_
    Free Member

I just clean it out with water then leave it to heal itself.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Normally nothing. I just let it freely bleed to flush anything out of the wound, then clean round the edge once a crust has formed.

Drac

The chain is pretty good knocks them off straight away most times.

robowns
    Free Member

Drac, I genuinely laughed at loud, it took me a second though

flap_jack
    Free Member

as I hit the deck there were two roadies going the other way. One shouted to the other ‘hey, was that Cancellara ?’ In any other circumstances that would have been a compliment. well funny though.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Showing your age there Drac 😉

bigG
    Free Member

Hot bath with somewhere salt in it, use a clean nail brush to make sure the area is clean, this stings a touch from experience

Then let the air at it, best not slather creams etc on as the air will help it dry out and heal.

Keep it clean, but not wet

_tom_
    Free Member

The chain is pretty good knocks them off straight away most times.

😀

juan
    Free Member

Once clean, the new trend is not to let it dry, but put a greasy bandage and let the skin regrow underneath.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Then let the air at it, best not slather creams etc on as the air will help it dry out and heal.

This is completely wrong. Best to keep the wound moist which aids healing. Get a big hydrogel wound dressing and leave it on for a few days. They can be had from Boots

flap_jack
    Free Member

right, so wandering around in just some properly gay looking minialist kecks letting the air dry it isn’t right ? damn, I was enjoying how much revulsion I was causing…

bigG
    Free Member

My advice may be wrong but it does result in cracking scabs which are loads of fun to pick, and by the way I’ve not lost a limb as a result of following my process yet so I’ll continue to avoid the greasy dressings. I tried that route once, and got an infected wound.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I am going down the dry route.

I can’t go out to get any modern dressings as Mrsflap varnished the stairs whilst I was out crashing. So all the upstairs windows are open and I can’t get at them to close them.

Meanwhile, Mrsflap went out briefly to her brother’s, but the train she was on broke down and she has been stuck on it for 3 hours, with no aircon! She’s not exactly sympathetic to my plight as her’s is rather worse…

crazy-legs

I’ve used Betadine before – when I had it it was a yellowish gel-like liquid but they do a dry powder spray version now as well.

flap_jack
    Free Member

right, fixed the bike, time now for a bit of sunbathing, that should finish the drying job nicely.

Mrsflap’s train has now been dragged into Euston so she is hot and bothered, but free…

rudebwoy
    Free Member

dog saliva is a great antiseptic, old farmers always get dogs to lick their wounds, as the saying goes…..

_tom_
    Free Member

The best part of road rash is picking the scabs. I got a nice bit of road (well, bmx track) rash on my arm and shoulder last week and the “letting it air dry” method has worked fine as most of it has healed already.

grtdkad

Bump!!
    Any credible conclusion?

Let it dry out ?
    Cover it in slop?

flap_jack
    Free Member

I let it dry out, mostly because I had little choice. I resisted the sudacreme although I continued to slaver it in the ‘wound wash’, which Mrsflap had bought for the dogs when they were having a bit of a fighting phase (thankfully over).

Plenty of comments at work for the visible arm rash (and the spectacular bruising when it came out). Increased street cred amongst the youngsters. Raised eyebrows amongst my peers.

Arm completely fixed up now, leg still a bit scabby. No infection though.

The corner is close to home and features on nearly every road ride. Taken more judiciously at present. Analysis of data revealed that I was attempting a T junction at over 20mph which on reflection was plain stupid.

Rorschach
    Free Member

flap_jack
    Free Member

maybe… Leg still pretty black and blue though.

grtdkad

Aye. I get the MTFU bit but I do have a really, really hurty leg and arm.

24 hrs in I’m thinking that the ooze is starting to crust. Nice.

bigG
    Free Member

Told you the dry route was the best, none of this new fangled keep it wet nonsense. Scabs are half the fun of crashing and chicks dig scars,,

domino

Got great advice from A&E nurse and plastics nurse last time… I scrubbed the road rash (on my face) with a brush twice daily, luckily I’d been given Medica brushes (what medics use to scrub hands for ops) to use and some anaesthetising gel. I then applied liquid paraffin (Vaseline could be used) to keep the area moist. Getting all the grit out and keeping the scabs moist was important to prevent scarring.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What do you use for road rash ?’ is closed to new replies.