Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • What do you think of my first sourdough loaf?
  • sprootlet
    Free Member

Hi

I’ve made my starter, 6 days in the making …..
    This is the first bread so be gentle with me ….. what do you think ?

https://cloud.sproot.org.uk/s/D563HBarCygMKZT

Crust and crumb has a nice chew to it and really surprised at the colour of the crumb bearing in mind it was made with white bread flour.

Made a change from my usual yeasted offerings and quite enjoyed making it but it does take such a long time to make it, My plan is for sourdough pizza bases, I’m not sure how many loaves I’m going to bother with.

sproot
    Free Member

In my (obviously completely unbiased) opinion, it was delicious…

dc1988

Looks good, but I’m no expert. I love the idea of sourdough but can’t be bothered with the time investment. I’ve been perfecting baguettes in lockdown and enjoy them so much I haven’t really felt like moving on from them.

thejesmonddingo

Looks good, show us the crumb, please. I’ve just started again , after a long lay off, and it’s taking a bit of getting back into.

thepurist

My plan is for sourdough pizza bases

Sounds like you’ll be needing a pizza oven…

boobs

Good effort, wTch the massive weight gain 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks great, well done, gives a huge sense of satisfaction.

In reality, it’s no more work than normal bread, my pizza recipe takes more work than sourdough does.

No need for a pizza oven tp, I managed for years without one…

*They are way better though! 😆

myti
    Free Member

Looks great. There was a sourdough thread on here last year with loads of photos, recipes and tips that’s worth looking at.

J-R

It looks far too good for a first effort – hope it tastes as good too.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It has blisters on the crust which is good but it all depends on what’s going on inside!

Sandwich

Come on show us the crumb OP.

Poopscoop

Blimey, that looks bloody good!👍

grum
    Free Member

Looks pretty good but yeah we need a crumb shot. 🙂 Certainly looks a lot better than my first sourdough loaf.

This was my last effort

alpin
    Free Member

GF got given some sour dough for Xmas.

So far we’ve had 4 pizza nights and one attempt at making a loaf. Loaf looked great, but unfortunately she forgot the salt so the bread was a little bland.

Lots of faff keeping the dough going/fed, but it’s not my department.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP how did it taste?

That’s the acid test surely

Klunk
    Free Member

why is it glued to a wall 😕

sadexpunk

great effort OP, and yes itd be good to see a crumb shot.

@grum
    , that looks about perfect, nice one.

andywill

Looks good from the outside! I am impressed. Unfortunately I don’t have the patience to look after a sourdough starter, otherwise I would give it a go.

sprootlet
    Free Member

The inside of the loaf

the crumb

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s a success sproot!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Unfortunately I don’t have the patience to look after a sourdough starter, otherwise I would give it a go

Mine took 5 days to do at first, it now lives in the fridge, untouched for weeks at a time, take it out the day bfefore I want to us, let it warm up and give it a feed.

That’s it.

sprootlet
    Free Member

We don’t have a logburner but we do have a designated beer fridge so the starter (Vincent) is going to live in there. That should mean that I can get away with feeding him once a week.

Grum, your loaf looks professional which is the best accolade I can think of. I think mine has room for improvement but good for a first effort.

It was not labour intensive to make, it was more the time it took. I proved it overnight then folded and proved again for a further 4 hours then popped it in the le Creuset and baked it for 35 mins with the lid on and 15 with the lid off.

My mistake was using the wrong paper to line the pot, the paper stuck to the bottom of the loaf and is hard to peel off. On the plus side I did remember the salt (I often forget this for some reason)

savoyad

show off. share your method @sprootlet?

sprootlet
    Free Member

I followed Betty Bakes no knead sourdough recipe on youtube. I made the starter over 6 days and used it when it floated in a bowl of water.

The other guy who was useful was pro cooks on youtube but I wanted to try the simplest way I could find.

grum
    Free Member

Looks great inside too, nice one! I think the number one thing is getting the fermentation right – ie not under or over proved.

As NBITF says you can actually manage your starter using the fridge so it’s really easy, I tend to just get it out and feed the night before baking too.

I like The Bread Code channel on YT, really useful for me.

andywill

Mine took 5 days to do at first, it now lives in the fridge, untouched for weeks at a time, take it out the day before I want to us, let it warm up and give it a feed. That’s it.

I might give it a go then. I didn’t realise it would store in a fridge for so long.

z1ppy

is it bad after a couple of loafs (one good, two terrible) I’ve only used my starter to make sourdough crumpets?

Andy, my starter maybe just under a year old and get dumped and ignored in the fridge for months at a time. Drain off the hooch, even when it looks pretty grim, feed it and the starter is fine. It’s when it actually goes mouldy it’s dead I believe

andywill

Thanks, Z1ppy, I had no idea it could be so neglected. I was under the impression it needed weekly pampering!

sprootlet
    Free Member

A little bit different but here’s my rosemary and seasalt focaccia

focaccia

Working from home lunch for the other half is this with parma ham, mozzarella, tomotoes and pesto (instead of butter).

Sandwich

Nice work on the crumb shot.

greyspoke
    Free Member

That’s the acid test surely

Chapeau

greyspoke
    Free Member

@sproots – I see you are using Nextcloud, I use it also for addresses and calendar and backing up/ syncing phone stuff.

I got a loaf on the go right now, maybe I will post some pics later when it is ovenned.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Thread resurrection.

I’ve been making a loaf a week and did make some pizza bases which did not go to plan
    Top tips are : an entire loaf of rye flour will give you a brick instead of a loaf of bread.

This is part white flour and part multiseeded flour. Really pleased with the slash, hope the inside is as good as the outside

I’ll try again on the pizza bases – I used a you tube of a guy called Patrick Ryan, it looked easy but mine did not look anything like his, mine seemed to have no structure at all

sprootlet
    Free Member

technical delay in the link …….

grum
    Free Member

I use this one, has been very successful for me

https://foodgeek.dk/en/sourdough-pizza-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-34829

Seeing as this seems to be a general sourdough thread now….. 😛

My best rise so far

greyspoke
    Free Member

Rye is different. Here is a nice nearly 100% wholemeal rye loaf – quite dense but luscious. You don’t need the yeast kicker but it helps. Above about 20% rye content it stops being possible to develop gluten in the usual way because of the sticky. And rye doesn’t have much gluten it is the sticky which holds the bubbles up. Everyday rye loaves would have 20-30% wheat to get a lighter crumb. Spelt goes well with eye try 20% each wholemeal rye and spelt in a loaf for flavour.

sadexpunk

My best rise so far

@grum
    , i dont think its possible to get a better looking loaf, congratulations <golfersclap> 👏👏👏</golfersclap>

toby1

@sprootlet

This recipe has worked well for me as a pizza dough base Ooni sourdough.

You can leave it for an overnight prove, or just do it in a day with no fridge time and a warm room.

sprootlet
    Free Member

OK, I’m not going to try and compete with Grum’s awesome looking loaf.

Thanks for the advice on the rye flour, I did use it again but 450g ordinary and 50g rye (much better).

Thanks for the link on the pizza bases, if I’m honest the pizza bases are the reason I started using sourdough

It’s still to warm to cut so no crumb photos as yet

Loaf

grum
    Free Member

Thanks peeps! It’s taken a lot of nerding out and practice – it’s been my lockdown obsession. I still can’t get it quite as good as that consistently but I’m reliably happy with my bread now. I have dreams of starting up a little micro-bakery/coffee takeout at some point, we shall see.

That’s looking great sprootlet. Looks like good oven spring and crust. Definitely a lot better than I managed at first.

BTW I always used to leave mine to cool completely and impatiently wait for an hour or two, but then in the Tartine book he says he likes to cut it open almost straight away and enjoy the ‘custardy’ crumb. Seems to go against the received wisdom but I’ve not noticed any ill effects – I do leave it to cool for at least 10-15 mins though – just so I can cut it ok mainly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What do you think of my first sourdough loaf?’ is closed to new replies.