• This topic has 61 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by _tom_.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • What do you think about while riding ?
  • Premier Icon pymwymis
    Free Member

I was out yesterday afternoon and caught myself thinking about what I was/had been thinking about. Answer, nothing I could put my finger on. Just unconscious autopilot.

What a great feeling and a great reason to ride.

Premier Icon xcretro
    Free Member

same

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Free Member

1000 different things from nothing to really technical work problems to how come I’m still in a head wind after 6 turns.

Premier Icon stewartc
    Free Member

Usually the trail I am on, what’s coming up next, how should I tackle it, what route to take next etc, better than work and other real life stuff

Premier Icon pymwymis
    Free Member

Oh yeah, that permanent headwind thing….

Premier Icon matther01
    Free Member

Life stuff on the ups and flats…not going OTB on the downs

Premier Icon slackalice

Being in the moment. 8)

Both biking and skiing…. In the Now. Nothing better 😀

Premier Icon spooky_b329

Usually…

Nothing, and then I remember I am riding a singlespeed and try to work out when I started choosing to ride it over my geared bike, when it stopped being a sufferfest, and when I stopped checking how many mates were going to share the suffering 🙂

…and the laserbeamcock thing when going downhill…

Premier Icon wordnumb
    Free Member

Sadly my thoughts keep returning to “I remember when this was all singletrack” and “going around the puddle only makes the puddle bigger” and “what idiot can’t take an empty gel packet home or to the nearest bin?”

Premier Icon jota180
    Free Member

Depends

On a long hard climb, I tend to think of a hot soapy *** ****
    Seems to take my mind off the pain for a while

Premier Icon breadcrumb

I tend to come up with solutions and ideas when riding, then forget half them by the time I get home.

Tis’ great for clearing the head though.

Premier Icon DT78
    Free Member

Legs hurt legs hurt legs hurt.

On longer rides, I tend to start fantasing about massive roast dinners at about the 6 hr mark.

Premier Icon Candodavid
    Free Member

I resist the urge to think, I just try to zone out from all the cr4p going on.
    Each ride is an escape.

Premier Icon leftyboy
    Free Member

Mostly how I’m going to keep up with the group, then how much more can this hur,t finally how far to the pub!

Premier Icon bikeneil
    Free Member

I always think: “this trail would be so much better on a different bike”.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

“oh ****, oh ****ing ****ity ****”

Premier Icon prawny

Boobs

Premier Icon Marmoset
    Free Member

Nothing but the trail when I’m on my mountain bike 🙂

On the road bike/commuter it’s usually what jobs need doing when I get off the bike and that there constant headwind thingy… 😕

Premier Icon RustySpanner

Mostly boobs. 🙂

Premier Icon atlaz
    Free Member

MTB – very little
    Road – all sorts of random things until I get to something steep up/down then it’s either 100% focus on the pain or the road

Premier Icon zelak999
    Free Member

Normally think about food! Also get awful random songs pop up in my head and stay there on a loop, usually whilst going up hill.

Premier Icon legend
    Free Member

What to call my ride on Strava

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

For me, it doesn’t matter what I’m thinking about, the real reason I go mountain biking is because of the stuff I don’t[/u] think about while I’m doing it.

Premier Icon richmars

I’ve had some of my best ideas* on the commute ride home.

*But all pretty rubbish.

Premier Icon hooli
    Free Member

Normally I wonder how I can still be this crap at riding a MTB, oh and the headwind thing 😉

Premier Icon Ro5ey
    Free Member

Can I go faster

Premier Icon grizedaleforest

Uphill – shut up legs
    Downhill – hope my forks don’t break
    Flat – this is fun

Premier Icon D0NK

everything or nothing.

I always think: “this trail would be so much better on a different bike”.

🙂 yep I know that feeling.

Premier Icon martinhutch

What I will do if the farmer catches me.

Premier Icon GHill

slackalice – Member
    Being in the moment.

This for me too. Too much stuff to think about at work so cycling gives my mind a nice break.

Premier Icon Northwind

Which trail I’m going to ride next, usually. Or, “am I lost”. Or “ChrisL is catching me, this will not stand!”

But there’s still a load of thought processes going on in the background that I’m not aware of, I can go out for a ride and come back having made a decision about some thing that was bothering me, without really knowing I was doing it.

Premier Icon chvck

If I’m going downhill then I’m concentrating on not mullering myself. Other than that everything and anything really my mind never stops, mixed up with a bit of “why am I doing this? This is rubbish”, that usually fades by the top of the hill though…

Premier Icon chakaping

This…

What to call my ride on Strava

and…

On longer rides, I tend to start fantasing about massive roast dinners at about the 6 hr mark.

but I have to agree with this somehow…

Tis’ great for clearing the head though.

Premier Icon kudos
    Free Member

When I’m out on my roadbike, I pretend there’s a camera bike and helicopter tracking my progress. I even like to check over my shoulder every now and again to see if the imaginary peloton are bearing down on me.

Every now and then, I’ll do a snarl or a wink at the camera.

And I think about doing rude things to Tony Gallopin’s girlfriend so I’m in a constant state of semi-tumescence… The female viewers at home love that kind of thing.

Premier Icon cookeaa

On the MTB I think mostly about what I’m doing at any given moment TBH…

But on the Road bike, especially on long straight forwards familiar routes (eg when commuting) my mind can toddle off a bit on to other topics and the autopilot kicks in, which is great as you sort of make progress without really noticing any leg pain or tiredness…

Of course the second you actually notice that you’ve tuned out, reality sort of jumps back in and you have to deal with all those mundane concerns…

I seem to be a shade quicker when my brain switches into that mode, like 90% of the actual cycling becomes almost “autonomic” I guess the times I’ve been faster/braver on the MTB I’ve had a similar “not thinking too much” moment..

Not thinking too hard seems to benefit me…

Premier Icon DanW
    Free Member

Same as the OP…

Completely blank

That is all 😀

Premier Icon boobs
    Free Member

It’s nice that some of you think of me :^)

Premier Icon metalpedal
    Free Member

anything but work!!

Premier Icon mintimperial

On the mountain bike: anything and everything and nothing.

On the road bike: I invariably end up fantasizing about hefting half a housebrick through the windscreen of whichever was the last car that buzzed my elbow, cut me up, nearly ran me down, or otherwise demonstrated the criminal imbecility of its driver.

I don’t like road riding much anymore.

Premier Icon gazc
    Free Member

whats for dinner?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘What do you think about while riding ?’ is closed to new replies.