Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • What do you mean 'You can't tow that'?
  • andyl
    Free Member

should probably also clarify that the 3500kg limit on that type of trailer applies in the UK. Some other countries allow higher loads to be towed, vehicle allowing of course. I think america is one and their hitches will be beefier than ours and their cars are often big 5 litre V8s on a huge chassis. A lot also have electric actuated brakes instead of over run type and anyone towing large loads regularly over there will probably be equipped as such, the rental trailers like U haul might still be over run brakes. From what I have seen the USA is much better in terms of towing, larger loads and safer systems. We are stuck in the dark ages and I do agree with the new rules as much a PITA it is, I just wish it was easier and cheaper to get your test done.

andyl
    Free Member

This kind of thing is why I would love to have a farm in the USA:

molgrips
    Free Member

In the us there are apparently no rules on matching trailer with vehicle. According to my father in law if you can move it, it’s legal. Which would not seem a particularly advanced bit of legislation! However they are all electrically operated takes. Apparently the reason they are not common here is that there is legislation to prevent anything electrical being operated on the trailer, for reasons of fire risk. Which is reasonable, except it doesn’t apply to the trailer lights… or the fridge.. or the battery charger.. or the stability control… ❓

nealglover
    Free Member

In the us there are apparently no rules on matching trailer with vehicle. According to my father in law if you can move it, it’s legal. Which would not seem a particularly advanced bit of legislation!

It’s also not true.

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What do you mean 'You can't tow that'?’ is closed to new replies.