Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • What do you feed your dog?
  • dmorts

Probably shouldn’t own a dog if you think feeding it on dry food is the right thing…

Our vet friend thinks the same of people who feed raw…. granted they will see mostly the worst outcomes, i.e. food poisoning.

doomanic

my Rabbits are totally raw/vegan – they don’t shut up about the benefits.

Their stools are like firm little bullets too – maybe you should try your dogs on a predominately Kale/carrot/banana based diet.

If it’s still inside the rabbit my dog would love it! 😂

@porter_jamie
    why no chicken?

porter_jamie

because he gets the itches like crazy. we think it might be the grain they feed the chickens

doomanic

Thanks, was concerned there was a general issue with chicken as that what mine gets the most of.

Sandwich

Some dogs are pre-disposed to skin conditions, chicken made my daughter’s Staffie a smelly, scratchy beast. (This is Geneva Convention Breach level smells).

We have just switched the Bodie dog over to breed specific Royal Canin. A remarkably non-smelly event, previous food changes have been accompanied by noxious emissions even with a tapered switch.

So far he’s lost a bit of weight on maximum recommended amount per day and looks a bit too skinny. His skin also appears improved after Skinners Field & Trial. Early days though and complicated by the attack last month.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Interested in peoples views.

Our old Boxer was on a ‘fresh’ diet of mince, chicken, barley, veg, fruit etc and was as healthy as could be and lived to an old age.

Our current Boxer is now 3 and she has always suffered from upset stomachs. We made the decision when we got her to feed her on tinned for simplicity sake (Lilys Kitchen) however from an early age she has had really bad trumps and runny poo. We put it down to her drinking from streams/eating sheep poo whilst out with the dog walker.

Recently she got really bad and had the squits for a week. Vet just said some dogs are like that, slowly she got better. The last couple of weeks we have moved to using frozen raw food.

Her stomach has certainly improved dramatically! However that is a big swing going from food with veg etc to now no veg

My wife is concerned about the consequences of food poisoning from this raw food (lets face it this frozen stuff isnt regulated in any way) has any one heard of bad consequences from the frozen raw food route?

Scapegoat

My wife is concerned about the consequences of food poisoning from this raw food (lets face it this frozen stuff isnt regulated in any way) has any one heard of bad consequences from the frozen raw food route?

The place I buy mine is DEFRA compliant. https://yorkshirerawfeeds.co.uk/ The owner once told me that they had to make the food fit for human consumption because some people were known to buy their chicken portions for the family.

We buy in bulk (about three months’ worth at a time) and keep it in a chest freezer in the garage. We defrost a 1300g tube of mince at a time, and keep it in a separate compartment of the fridge inside plastic bags, weighing out a portion at a time. 28kg labrador, has 200g per meal twice a day, which will comprise of a mix of chicken wings or thighs, beef and tripe, chicken and tripe, lamb and salmon, beef heart chunks, beef esophagus, lamb ribs, liver, occasionally tinned fish, any leftover green veg, venison, various bits of leftover gamebirds, duck necks. My son’s Cocker and Labrador eat a very similar diet, albeit from a different supplier.

Neither the dog, not any member of my family has ever suffered from food-poisoning. It is essential to keep any utensils and work surfaces clean and thoroughly washed, but that isn’t any different to any other cooking and handling of raw meat in the kitchen.

piha
    Free Member

I’ve been using ‘Natural Instinct’ raw food for years and haven’t had any health issues arising from the storage or use of the food.

I buy it from a local outlet, store it in the freezer and allow it to defrost in the fridge. Always feed the dog in the utility room rather than the kitchen. I started using raw food after my dog developed a poorly tummy and a resultant stay at the vets, he’s been good ever since. I also feed him ‘Arden Grange sensitive’ kibble.

Robz
    Free Member

I recently discovered that pets such as dogs and cats consume approximately a fifth of the worlds meat and fish, and therefore imprint a significant carbon footprint on the planet.

Interesting eh?

jolmes
    Free Member

We’ve got our Old English on raw food from Naturaw. 500g trays that are completely compostable buying it in monthly batches, they are also B-Corp rated so the only raw food dog company in the world to have this award. She has 0 health issues, barely poos which dont stink like they’ve breached the Geneva Convention and no one in the family has ever had food poisoning. The meat is human grade so if you fancy throwing it in a curry…be my guest.

plus-one

I recently discovered that pets such as dogs and cats consume approximately a fifth of the worlds meat and fish, and therefore imprint a significant carbon footprint on the planet.

Interesting eh?

Dogs are better than most humans though 😎

kerley
    Free Member

The dogs won’t get poisoning as the meat is frozen for months to kill stuff off and dogs digestive systems are very different to a humans.
    People will get food poisoning from handling the defrosted meat if they don’t follow good hygiene practices. If you are not hygienic (cleaning worktops, utensils, dog bowls etc,. really, really well) then don’t bother with raw

honeybadgerx

One of the reasons we decided to give Yora a try with ours. Just need to make a start on those pesky mountain bikers next 😉

Futureboy77
    Free Member

None whatsoever in seven years of raw feeding. I just use the same precautions as if I were handling raw meat for my own consumption.

Not sure why you think it’s a free for all. The place I buy pre-mades from (when I can’t be arsed going to Morrisons/the local butcher) is DEFRA licensed and audited, Pet Food Manufacturers Association accredited, OF&G certified organic and the company has an ISO9001 certified management system by a UKAS approved certifying body.

An excellent book on raw feeding is Feeding Dogs by Dr Connor Brady. There is quite a lot in it which would put your wife’s mind at rest.

plus-one

My 3 are very fussy eaters I’ve tried every dog food known to man 🥹

This food however they go mental for it 😎

50% off your first box with this code 👌🏻

https://butternutbox.com/Colin251

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

My answer to this is ‘whatever i give them’. In my eyes there is no such thing as a dog that is chosey about what it eats. I have never seen a dog go to a cupboard, open a tin of tuna and chow down. If a dog is being awkward with what it eats, it will eventually have a difficult decision to make, at least it would in my house.

Anyhow, having had a cat for 22yrs which was fed entirely on a kibble diet we decided from day 1 to do a kibble diet for our 2 dogs. They eat it when they need to. They eat it when we give it to them and they only dont eat it when they are feeling unwell. Why over complicate it? We buy it in bulk so we keep it in a big bin so it doesnt cost us the earth.

The main benefits we get are that they look amazingly healthy. The vet always remarks on how strong & athletic our two dogs are for the breed (Even in comparison to their brothers) and their teeth are amazingly clean. Other than the odd treat for cleaning their teeth, we dont have to do anything else.

On a sunday, IF there are any leftovers they will have them mixed with their kibble as a treat, including any veg. That is about the only ‘extra’ we allow. They are happy, we are happy

ebygomm
    Free Member

We feed Millie’s Wolfheart, mixed with a bit of wet food, liver pate, sweet potato, egg, sardines etc. depending on day of the week. She’s not hugely enthusiastic about food (must be faulty considering she’s a lab) especially straight out the bowl but she looks in good condition on it so we’re sticking with it for now.

Ha ha, shortly after this she stopped eating it completely, even when mixed with good stuff. I tried being strict for a while, offering it and if it got left it was thrown away but she lost a kg in a few weeks and I’m too soft so didn’t like the thought that she was only eating what she did under sufferance because she was starving. She’s now on Essentials Superior Living Working dog food. She doesn’t dance around excitedly for it but she does eat it all so progress.

ThePilot
    Free Member

@FunkyDunc
    I used to feed my dog raw and she got very ill but I don’t think it was from the raw food but can’t be sure. Vet said it was more likely to be the two meat pies she scavenged. She has recovered now but can’t eat raw anymore and suffers from a sensitive tummy and is prone to getting the shits.
    I have found a few things that help which might be worth trying if your dog still struggles on a raw diet.
    Mine gets Tree Barks powder from Dorwest and healing mud from Antiforte.
    She gets a herb mix with chamomile and mint and so on.
    Also gets Stoolrite at times.
    She also gets a soil based probiotic which seems to help (take a look at Healthful Pets).
    I make sure she gets a low fat diet – plenty of fish – and hairy treats seem to help her too.

joshvegas
    Free Member

In my two weeks of dog ownership…

A packet of cheese and onion walkers,
    A bite of a tuna sandwich out of my hand from over my shoulder (a bite mind you she didn’t risk a full steal attempt)
    A half sized giraffe bread baguette (wrapper only evidence that it existed.)
    A pencil
    Various leftover pavement chips and kebab
    Half a large tub of peanut butter (whole earth)
    Various smears from the cutlery in the dishwasher.

Going to paint a line at half the depth of the kitchen counter. if its infront of the line its gone.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.