Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • What do you do with wet muddy shoes after a ride?
  • shaungero
    Free Member

Hi crew,
    As title says, what do you do with wet and muddy flats after a ride when you are heading back out the next day ?
    I’m hoping to pick up some good tips here.

Cheers
    Shaun

Simon

Leave them drying and wear a spare dry pair.

scotroutes

Take out the insoles, put in some scrunched up newspaper, leave near radiator. Refresh newspaper before bed.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Hose them off then stuff full of newspaper.

jakd95
    Free Member

If they’re really muddy and wet through already, hose them while still on my feet while I wash the bike. Then stuff with newspaper and wack them on the radiator. If they’re still damp the next day just grin and bear it.

chvck
    Free Member

Fill with newspaper and put in airing cupboard. I then wear 2 pairs of socks the next day because the shoes haven’t dried.

ferrals
    Free Member

Wear waterproof socks and not fuss about the wet shoes

Wally

Airing cupboard

superfli
    Free Member

I got one of those shoe driers if they are wet. I dont bother cleaning them

rsvktm

Shoe dryer, warm air blower fastened to the wall. Two of us riding every day meant loads of wet shoes, not any more..

P-Jay
    Free Member

Stuff with kitchen roll and stick ’em on the radiator. I’d give myself a 50% chance of being reasonably dry the next day, unless they’re those big fat tongued 5:10s, then I’d give myself a 50% chance they’ll be dry 7 days later.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shove a couple of nappies in each shoe. Was quite surprised at how well this worked.

ampthill

As above but I’m wearing goretex walking boots so they are generally dry inside

SaxonRider

Take out the insoles, put in some scrunched up newspaper, leave near radiator. Refresh newspaper before bed.

This.

xyeti
    Free Member

I balance mine on top of the Gas Boiler, when that fires up they have no choice but to dry out, it gets pretty warm on top.

otherwise i stuff them in the airing cupboard. Its a vast cupboard full of red cylinders, white cylinders and pressure gauges, i’ve NO idea what any of it does but it gets stuff dry fairly quick.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Same as any other filthy/wet outdoor shoes. Rinse, insoles out, fill em with newspaper leave em somewhere warm, find hanging them on the ends of my bars helps too, no idea why.

Would use a boot drier, but ours packed in two or three years ago, and we’ve got no real call for it now.

danbillam
    Free Member

rinse with hose pipe then into airing cupboard. theyre dry for the next day.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I rotate two pairs but the wet ones go in a cardboard box on the radiator. Also got one of these if I’m in a rush http://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Shoe-Dryer/18-4300

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Throw them away and buy new ones.

richmars

Use over-shoes. Take muddy over-shoes off and leave in the garage/shed. Bring clean and dry shoes in to warm up for tomorrow.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Insoles out, fill new newspaper & put somewhere warm overnight.
    Wear Sealskinz socks (longer the better or new hydrostop to stop water coming in the top) & you won’t notice if they’re not dry.

Bregante

Pop them on the shoe dryer of course..

andysredmini
    Free Member

Just put them back on again wet. They will be soaked and covered in mud within 2 minutes anyway.

benji
    Free Member

Give them to my housekeeper, who then cleans and drys them, whilst I wear the next dry clean pair.

Housekeeper informs me, removes the insoles, wipes the outer until clean and stuffs with newspaper, and changing news paper for dry until shoes are dry, refits insoles, and places back in the rack.

You always need more than one pair of shoes, I prefer them to be all identical in the sole department makes setting cleats up easier and the insoles are matched as well to my silly arched feet, so use specialized comps and defrosters, they all feel the same on, just one is warmer and drier.

johnnystorm

Hose them down, remove insoles, stuff with paper for a couple of hours, insert shoe driers, have dry shoes in the morning. Bloody genius things these driers.

Northwind

I have some of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pcs-Portable-Folding-Rotatable-Plastic-Shoes-Clothes-Hook-Hangers-Drying-Rack-/131370827601?hash=item1e964fbf51:g:KxoAAOSwVFlUKNSy

And some of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shoes-Dryer-Dry-boots-sports-leather-etc-Portable-UV-Disinfectant-Warmer-/311324684854?hash=item487c65b236:g:5qcAAOxy3HJTHOPF
    Between the two they’ll dry a pair of soggy five tens more or less overnight (they’ll usually still be damp after one night but not clammy or squishy)

TBH those driers aren’t very good but they combine with a radiator well. Oh- and 2 pairs of shoes.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I leave mine in the garage for 2 weeks till theyr’e dry, then It’s time to go out again.

cakefacesmallblock

I’m with scotroutes and saxonrider on this. But would add, if they are truly soaking, an initial stuffing with newspaper, then squish the shoes by standing on them, this will get the worst out, take out wet paper .Followed by more paper and change at some point evening before.

Northwind

Only when the last tree is cut down, will we realise you can’t dry your shoes with a kindle.

fooman

Worst muddy case I hose them down, quick rinse & spin @ 600rpm in the washing machine + 2 hours on a shoe dryer = bone dry, don’t stink, no messing & no waiting days.

martinhutch

Prop up next to woodburner, which is of course the correct STW answer.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Wood burner for me as well. I have two little pegs that are great for hanging things on.

globalti
    Free Member

I wear overshoes so my road riding shoes are usually only damp from sweat and will dry in a couple of hours.

bomberman
    Free Member

I have waterproof socks, one of the best things i ever bought. Scrub off the mud while cleaning bike and leave on radiator to dry. Theyre shimano flat shoes with the lace covers so they never get too wet inside. Unlike your mum..

maloney19710776
    Free Member

balance either side of the flue on the gas boiler in the garage, dry in less than 24 hours every time. boiler does HW and CH duties. combine with Aldi waterproof socks for extra dryness if needed.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Do people still have newspapers?

Upside down on the radiator after wiping off the mud with a wet sponge after washing the bike down. Same with the shorts then radiator gets the worst sorted for the next day and if they’re still damp, then sealskins.

br
    Free Member

Prop up next to woodburner, which is of course the correct STW answer.

Upside down on the AGA is the correct STW answer 🙂

hainman
    Free Member

Stuff with nappies and leave.Best idea I’ve ever heard and works as good as anything

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s a bit early for an April fool hainman!

cookeaa

Prevention being better than cure I went out yesterday with a mate for a mixed on/offroad ride in the pissing rain, on cross bikes with no guards:

I overwrapped my shoes and ankles with clingfilm and then put overshoes on top, the overshoes were probably saturated within about three miles, a small amount of water got in my right shoe about 18 miles into a 21 mile ride…

Dried in airing cupboard overnight, I can use them again now…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What do you do with wet muddy shoes after a ride?’ is closed to new replies.