Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • What do you do on holliday?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Am I alone in the world in my perception that hollidays are for doing things you haven’t got time to do the rest of the year?

Trying to organise a holliday for next month and all I get off the missus is links to anonymous blocks of flats with a very blue pool, 800 sun loungers and an all incusive resaurant. Followed up with some emotional blackmail “I don’t want to do anything, I just want to relax and spend time alone with you”.

Discussion down the pub indicates this type of holliday is considdered normal.

Was it just my parents who ‘wasted’ my childhood hollidays climbing mountains, sailing boats, riding bikes, walking places and generaly doing ‘stuff’.

I just replied to the last list of hotels she sent me with a link to my first year student halls “Sorby hall all inclusive resort with panoramic views over to the peak district” and a youtube clip of them being demolished with the caption “happy days”, so expecting fireworks later.

druidh
    Free Member

We go camping, walking, cycling and kayaking.

Perhaps you married the wrong woman? (Mine is already spoken for)

Klunk
    Free Member

my perfect 2 week holiday is 1 week riding in north wales followed by a weeks sailing on the Norfolk broads.

SaxonRider

Always camping, and exploring the region we’re camping in. This year was Normandy.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, the bulk of our holidays include camping, walking, and riding out..

It is nice tho, to have 1 week a year lying in the sun, and hearing a different language, and enjoying foreign food.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It is nice tho, to have 1 week a year lying in the sun, and hearing a different language, and enjoying foreign food.

lol, my experience of all-inclusive was none of those things (appart from sun). The staff were a mix of locals and gap-yaaas and the food was bland at best.

tomhoward

I’ve just spent 2 weeks riding down, but not up, an Alp. 🙂

deus

we tend to mix it up, MTB one year somewhere abroad, then mtb at home and foreign relaxing holiday the next year. but if somethinf amasing comes along the plan can be changed.

DrP

Was it just my parents who ‘wasted’ my childhood hollidays climbing mountains, sailing boats, riding bikes, walking places and generaly doing ‘stuff’.

What you’ve done is projected your ideal view of the world, and event occurring within, onto others…!

Some people simply like to sun it up and do nothing – often hard to do in the UK, what with work et al…

Some people like to get sweaty and dirty and climb mountains far away.

Some people like to do both, on different holidays, at different times of the year….!!

DrP

colournoise

Riding, walking, maybe some watersports, exploring (pre)historic sites. Either camping or a cottage based in an interesting area.

The mere thought of a lazy beach/poolside holiday fills me with all-consuming dread. Thankfully Zoe feels the same way.

slainte 😀 rob

woody2000

Would it kill you to do what she wants to do? What have you done on previous holidays?

slackalice
    Free Member

Oooooh Klunk!!

Marry me!!! 😀

trb
    Free Member

Our holidays always seem to involve beaches, walking, biking, pub/cafe/taverna lunches and swimming pools.

Swimming pools are a recent addition to make sure the kids are proper tired come bedtime, and kids give me a good excuse to play on the water slides while the missus sneaks off to do her own thing.

If you think about it, you normally spend 3 or 4 hours a day with your other half, often one of you is on facebook and the other is watching telly.
    To then spend a week alone with no other distractions is a recipe for arguements – both sober and drunk!!

geoffj

FFS TINAS irrespective of the pros and cons of this particular discussion, is it not time to let the poor woman bugger off and find happiness with someone else? 🙄

m1kea
    Free Member

When we go to Turkey it’s one week on a gulet (boat) doing absolutely f all other than sunbathing, eating and having a jar or two.

2nd week on land involves more sun lounger driving and the occasional sightseeing trip.

Places like Sri Lanka, Egypt etc etc have involved plenty of sight seeing but at least a week of sunbathing.

Ski trips however involve as much skiing as possible. Out on the slopes by 9 and stop for about 45 mins. My missus runs out of leg power by mid afternoon so we tend to finish around 3.

Don’t understand the apres ski thang; – Stay at home drinking, it’s cheaper.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Would it kill you to do what she wants to do? What have you done on previous holidays?

What she want’s to do, this is an argument I seem unable to win.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

despite having two young children my holidays always have mountains nearby where daddy can get up at the crack of dawn , **** off on bike and be back before lunch to do the “normal”holiday stuff which never involves sunloungers beside pools and i never arrange the holidays.

BoardinBob

Just back from Lake Garda this morning. Off the top of my head we did the following

Day 1 – Walked to the next village and back. About a 12 mile round trip stopping off for beer and ice cream along the way

Day 2 – 18 mile off road cycle. Nothing too severe but a nice trundle along the coast

Day 3 – Verona Opera Festival. We saw Turandot

Day 4 – Hired a boat and went out onto the lake for the day

Day 5 – Lounged by the pool

Day 6 – Went to the water park

Day 7 – Lounged by the pool

chakaping
    Free Member

Go somewhere with sun and hills, Spain for example. You can even hire bikes there I hear.

Problem solved.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

i cant say f e c k on this forum !!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

If I’m lucky it my annual trips are a bike holiday with the boys, surf trip with the GF and ski trip with GF and/or friends.

We went on a sun lounger holiday once because I was in a sling and she was on crutches. Couldn’t understand why an able-bodied person would want to do that, yawwwn.

wwaswas

i cant say f e c k on this forum !!

swear filter avoider!

burn the heretic!

[edit] hang on I just posted it as well. maybe I need burning too?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m with ‘spoon on this one.Last had a beach holiday “to relax” back in 1991. Got bored after two days…

This year? Snowdonia and then Elan Valley. Mountain biking, sur naturaillement.

jota180
    Free Member

Typical day when away abroad – which is quite a bit now

Up around 6
    Go for a run till 7
    Go buy bread etc.
    Breakfast till 9
    Sit and watch the world go by until 1 ish
    Go find somewhere for a long lunch till 3 ish
    Read
    snooze
    read
    snooze………… …7 ish
    Nip to the bar for a quick one whilst the missus gets ready
    Quick shower and change
    Walk out somewhere for dinner

kayak23

My ex always treated us to Euro city breaks, as she earned twice what I did.
    As a consequence, I never had any say in where we went really.
    I’d have much preferred unzipping a tent to a majestic Scottish vista or something.

Cities and Museums are ok for a while but its so nice to get away from the throng…

You have to find the compromise somewhere I guess. Most places have interesting things to do besides cook yourself on lilos all day..

rocketman
    Free Member

Walking/cycling/surfing/bodyboarding until we drop

Consume vast quantities of food & drink

Spend the next day chillaxing

Repeat until it’s time to go home

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

wwaswas f e c k is not swearing it is a non swear word invented to substitute a swear word !!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ride bikes, sail boats, snorkel, wakeboard, windsurf (badly), play tennis, go for a stroll, go skiing, have a beer, eat some nice food, do some other extra-curricular activities that are none of your beeswax, oh and sleep a lot too.

Which is nice.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Suggest a compromise. What about somewhere like Crete, where you have ancient history, hills, nice little towns and the opportunity to spend half the holiday on the beach/ sun lounger?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i like to do things, mrsconsequence likes to do things, sometimes she likes to not do things so she goes on holiday with some other girls who also want to not do things.

i’m worried about your relationship TINAS, i’m struggling to think of a time when i’ve read something you’ve written about it that isn’t negative.

not my place to worry, but i worry

DrP

Up around 6
    Go for a run till 7
    Go buy bread etc.
    Breakfast till 9
    Sit and watch the world go by until 1 ish
    Go find somewhere for a long lunch till 3 ish
    Read
    snooze
    read
    snooze………… …7 ish
    Nip to the bar for a quick one whilst the missus gets ready
    Quick shower and change
    Walk out somewhere for dinner

Add a toddler and get:
    Up around 6
    Chasing toddler around room to go to breakfast till 9
    Breakfast from 0900-0907
    Chase toddler and watch the rest of the world relaxing until 1 ish
    Go find somewhere for a rushed, messy lunch till 1.10 ish
    Read about excursions we won’t do
    Nip to the bar for a quick one whilst the missus gets angry at me being at the bar.
    Quick shower and change the muddy, food covered clothes
    Frantically find somewhere for dinner…..

TBH, I wouldn’t change it for the world!!

DrP

HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

Look at Neilson holidays, we have been on 3 now (Beachclub ones) and they are excellent value if you can go outside of school holidays!
    She can sit by the pool, you can learn to sail, windsurf, waterski etc etc. Tuition is free for most of the watersports, I think it is only the scuba you pay extra for.
    Food was pretty good at the ones we have been to, but you can massively over eat… you have been warned!!!!

wwaswas

wwaswas f e c k is not swearing it is a non swear word invented to substitute a swear word

it is on here.

footb a l l was always substituted with cheeserolling.

‘What tyres for’ was on there for a while.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i’m worried about your relationship TINAS, i’m struggling to think of a time when i’ve read something you’ve written about it that isn’t negative.

not my place to worry, but i worry

Because like carbon frames no-one bothers posting the 999days out of 1000 they’re not broken?

philconsequence
    Free Member

🙂 good point.

carry on x

Klunk
    Free Member

Oooooh Klunk!!

Marry me!!!

just let me ask the wife to see if it’s OK 😳

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

loadamebollix

MrWoppit
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Ride bikes, sail boats, snorkel, wakeboard, windsurf (badly), play tennis, go for a stroll, go skiing, have a beer, eat some nice food, do some other extra-curricular activities that are none of your beeswax get regularly thrashed silly by my expensive Dominatrix, oh and sleep a lot too.

No doubt. 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

Cycling, walking, skiing, camping…

Genrally “exploring” – from up in the hills to lazily wandering around new areas

Beach holiday means walking along the shoreline for a few klicks. Lazing on a towel tends to occupy a max half a day before itchy feet sets in

Macgyver

Well for two weeks a year me and the missus help out on a sailing and sport camp for local kids on a small island on the edge of the Bahamas banks.

http://hopetownsailingclub.com/11.html

8.30 to 12 every day, kids from 5 to 16, all sorts of activities then the rest of the day to ourselves to do what we want (snoozing, sailing, snorkelling(coral reefs right off the beach), island hopping in an tropical island paradise.

Oh and if I get very very lucky I get to race on this. I think Flashy might like it! Well I say race, I’m ballast really 😉

http://www.abacorage.org/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘What do you do on holliday?’ is closed to new replies.