What do you do if a dog attacks yours?

Home Forum Chat Forum What do you do if a dog attacks yours?

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • What do you do if a dog attacks yours?
  • project

ah the childish playground insults start.

And now all dogs are safer. Please dont get another.

So project your dog that would attack other dogs an people as you found was still allowed off the lead when no dogs around. How about if a dog comes flying out of nowhere wanting to play with a child chasing after it. Then what. Very respectful dog owner you are. I think not

It only attacked other dogs it thought posed a threat to him,or his extended family us humans, exactly the same happens in humans in road rage situations.

No books on that at present
    Yet you state it like a fact 😯
    Yes every road rage incident is someone defending their family and not at all about aggressive dicks who lack self control and have a propensity to create issues then resolve them with violence.

Were you really in danger of all these other things then – REALLY?

Seems more like the dog had a hair trigger, was aggressive and you failed to mange it and then posted advice on the internet on how to manage dogs like you are an expert.

Its not that surprising folk choose to question your wisdom or position to advise.

I invoke the right foot rule. If a dog attacks mine and I get to it before it’s owner does it gets a kick. Hard. The 2 times mine has been attacked it worked a treat. One of the owners nearly got one too after trying to tell me that it was only playing. Despite my springer really yelping and having a few blood injuries and was quite clearly petrified. Yeah looked like fun. If you can’t keep it under control it shouldn’t be off the lead. Simple. If you let it off the lead and it starts causing trouble you need to accept that not everyone is going to laugh it off.

Haha. Edit.

Premier Icon bruneep

If a god attacks mine and I get to it before it’s owner does it gets a kick.

Oh dear now religion is being dragged into this..

The “they are only playing” brigade real piss me off. Yes your three dogs my be only playing but my lurcher is now half a mile away and wont come back!

Does it look even remotely like my dog is enjoying itself?

hhmmmm … plenty of sensible replies above so choose one.

In an emergency do this but aim with your mighty force.

Unless the attacking dog(s) is a trained pit bull (slightly higher tolerance to pain) then most will back off if you hit it between the eyes and the snout with something hard like a police truncheon about 2.5 feet long. Make sure it’s proper hard wood but there is a possibility the attacking dog(s) will not get up after you have dropped it.

If your children are attacked by dog(s) this is the method to sort things out immediately.

Disclaimer: Only do this in an emergency because all hell will break loose as there is high possibility you will receive a letter from the lawyer/law. Then get probed by them.

Premier Icon coolhandluke

My dog got attacked, the dog after him was smaller than my dog so I picked it up by its collar until the owner arrived.

I do admit to trying to break its neck whilst it was hanging but was unsuccessful. I’d have looked over it only it ran from one corner of the par to us to attack.

Lucky I saw it coming and kept my dog on the lead. In hindsight, I should have crossed the busy road and let the aggressive dog take its chances.

Once saw a little dog on a lead getting attacked by 2 big mongrels, poor woman with the little dog was screaming as these other tow attacked her dog. I ran out the house, semi clothed! And grabbed the most aggressive of the two and hurled it into the air, back hand. It landed on its back with a sickening thud, got up and legged it. I went to grab the other and it yelped, dodged and legged it too.

As they are pack animals, to take charge, you have to be the most aggressive. I’ve no idea what happened to the dog I threw into the air and I’ve never seen it since.

Premier Icon DezB

Blimey, hope the OP got some advice amongst all the (usual) bickering.

Anyway, my dog’s quite big, has been picked on by a boarder collie a couple of times, just let them get on with it, it’s all over pretty quickly once the collie established it’s dominance. No harm done.
    Think I probably would’ve stuck the boot in if it had got any worse.
    I would agree with those who say don’t pick up a small dog – mine would have a sniff and then ignore most small dogs – if they are picked up, she still wants to sniff them… I think you get it…
    According to my wife, she does go for dogs sometimes when out with her, so it must be a protective thing, as she never does when with me.

To be fair I agree with DezB. I’ll give it a sec to see if it calms down. My springer is a (fast) big girls blouse so either does a runner or rolls over and gives up. Sometimes its pretty clear that the other dog just wants a ruck.

Thanks for all the non willy waving answers 🙂 I’m going to avoid the woods for a while unless I’m with my husband, he doesn’t really know what to do but at least me and the dog can both hide behind him! We’ve started puppy classes but they kick off again in the new year. Our cocker is playful but quite submissive. He got mounted by another dog the other day and its pal decided to snap at him but not actually bite, I just swiped that one back gently and removed the other smaller dog. Just a bit nervous at the moment as he’s teeny tiny! Everyone we have met so far to be honest has been great.

A walking stick can be helpful. Be careful trying to pick yours up because some dogs just try harder. That’s when you get bitten as well. Other Stupid peoples dogs are the only aspect of dog ownership I don’t like.
    When mine was a puppy we took her to classes and there was a staffie pup there that would not leave her alone. Constantly trying to have play fights with her. Would just grab her throat/ear/paw/tail and refuse to let go. On several occasions it drew blood. Bloody thing. I chucked a glass of water over it once in an attempt to shock it into letting go. I was not a happy chicken. It’s owner just started shouting. Proof if proof were needed that the classes are as much for the owner as they are for the dog. Unfortunately they stopped coming. Shame because of all the people/dogs in that room they needed the training most.

If your dogs a puppy its very very unlikely to be attacked. The odd grumpy dog my snap a warning but thats how puppies learn. Our lurcher is five now and I can only think of one occasion where I’ve been seriosly worried. Try not to let the worry get out of proportion. Even aggressive dogs are usually placated by a submissive dog. Its the people with stroppy dogs themselves that have issues when an aggressive dog arrives on the scene.

So I met scary dog this morning and he is indeed very scary looking, he’s a bull mastif cross with like a Labrador or something, he’s very big! However, he was also just only slightly interested in my puppy, had a sniff, puppy wanted to play then scary dog got called away and it was all a bit of an anticlimax. Scary dog’s owner looked pretty scary too though so I do wonder whether that might have added to a bit of hostility with the chap that warned us about him the other day because as soon as I saw him walking towards me I felt uneasy and I don’t really know why, he walked on, I walked on and the puppy was peeved that it was yet another dog I wouldn’t let him jump on top of. The two dogs the chap said he had attacked are also both young boisterous dogs and scary dog looks like he’s getting on a bit, perhaps he was just giving a bit of a warning to the younger dogs?

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What do you do if a dog attacks yours?’ is closed to new replies.