Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)
  • What do you do as a living?
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Just curious to what fellow mtb’rs do to make a living?

How do you make your living?

Are you happy doing it?

Would you considering a change of career?

Does it pay enough for you to mtb comfortably?

NOT interested to what you actually earn!

CountZero

Doing as little as I can get away with.
    Not really.
    Yes.
    More or less.
    I wouldn’t tell you anyway.

maccruiskeen

whattyre
    Free Member

Ski instructor
    Yes happy
    No time for biking
    It’ll end when the snow goes(anytime in the next month…maybe!)

tacopowell
    Free Member

I wouldn’t tell you anyway.

Lady Boy? !

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What Mac said.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Senior management function. I.e. I’m not really sure what I do but I’m sodding busy and the KPIs are good.

enjoy aspects, don’t like working for someone else.

If I had less to lose, yes. But as the sole earner in the house and with a big mortgage my opportunities to start a new business up are limited.

Define comfortably. I can’t afford to just buy a top of the range Giant or Trek on a whim, but I have some toys which to many people are a dream bike so I shouldn’t complain.

I think people are way to sensitive on this subject in the UK.

singlecrack
    Free Member

As little as possible 😆

tacopowell
    Free Member

Sorry should have led by example if im to ask such questions!

Learning Disability Support Worker,

Very rewarding job, but with ever increasing cuts in the sector and an already low wage, I find myself looking in a different direction.

mark90
    Free Member

Same as CountZero

Although will admit to being an IT techy

Tom-B
    Free Member

Guitar Teacher. Love it.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I think people are way to sensitive on this subject in the UK.

Agreed!

Duffer
    Free Member

How do you make your living? – Logistician.

Are you happy doing it? – Very!

Would you considering a change of career? – I would considering being a Grammar Nazi… haha! (I’m happy with what i do; anyway, as the sole breadwinner i’ve not got a lot of choice!)

Does it pay enough for you to mtb comfortably? – I get paid more than i should, considering that amount of work i do.

NOT interested to what you actually earn! – I work in the Public Sector, so you’re entitled to know!

samuri
    Free Member

Senior management in IT.
    Yes, I enjoy it for the most part. It pays quite well. I’d much prefer to be getting my hands dirty with computers than telling other people to do it but it’s still OK. It’s very interesting at times.

Would I change career? Yes, but only to do something I *really* enjoy doing and I’d have to take a massive pay cut to do it. I could live with that. I very much doubt I’m good enough at the things I enjoy doing to make any money out of them though.

tacopowell
    Free Member

NOT interested to what you actually earn! – I work in the Public Sector, so you’re entitled to know!

Might be entitled but it wouldn’t benefit me to know!

tacopowell
    Free Member

I very much doubt I’m good enough at the things I enjoy doing to make any money out of them though.

Enlighten us?!

jamj1974

Funk gigolo.

havinalaff
    Free Member

How do you make your living? Paramedic

Are you happy doing it? Love it..

Would you considering a change of career? I did recently to start doing this.

Does it pay enough for you to mtb comfortably? Not likely, starting wage of band 5 agenda for change for those who are interested and can be bothered to look it up.

NOT interested to what you actually earn!

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

According to this forum , i am the modern version of Dick Turpin but with out the mask
    I love my job , unfortunatley it’s ruined by having to deal with suppliers , customers , tax man , vat man etc .
    Yes i’d consider doing something differant , but i’m good for **** all else .
    Don’t make enough money for the hours i work and for the answer to question 2 .

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mostly I design software for operating spacecraft.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Does it pay enough for you to mtb comfortably? Not likely, starting wage of band 5 agenda for change for those who are interested and can be bothered to look it up.

I know roughly, I also know its nowhere near what it should be.

Paramedic is something I’ve considered.

grim168
    Free Member

electron beam welder making the brackets that hold the wings on a typhoon. Decent pay and only three 12 hour shifts a week so plenty of time for biking.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

medical researcher for a firm of solicitors

I like it although it can be a little depressing on occasion, especially as we represent the CTC so I read far too much about squashed cyclists

in an ideal world id run away to the hils and have a farm or something that involved a bit more fresh air.

I also work freelance as a ‘mathematical knitting pattern checker’ – mainly due to a sad intrest in design and knitting but the extra funds are nice

and I also have another job – I think I just like to be busy, but still get a chance to ride although not as much as id like. The main restriction to that is childcare not work

tacopowell
    Free Member

According to this forum , i am the modern version of Dick Turpin but with out the mask

You pinch horses? Horse meat? Or you sell travel insurance?

scousebri
    Free Member

Carpenter
    Love the job
    wouldn’t even consider a change
    i don’t get much time to bike comfortably, my wife spends all my pay anyway.
    depends on the job, but slightly more than the average i would say.

lazybike
    Free Member

Is this what we’ve come to……Mods please lift the bans 🙂

Davesport

Aquanaut 8)

skink2020

Picture Framer and professional skiver.

banks
    Free Member

Same as taco – hours used to alright 3x12hr shifts a week but no longer 🙁 playing out many options in my head atm.

Plenty of riding time but often solo

Yes, I have another job which covers all expenses

steve234
    Free Member

IT of course, this is STW after all. Specifically, IT management.

Happy? Yeah, I’d say so. So far I’ve managed to strike a reasonable balance between the management bits and still getting involved in the techy bits occasionally. There are some frustrations but there are in most jobs I think. To be honest I can’t think of many things I’d rather be doing that wouldn’t involve leaving the country and/or winning lotteries.

I’d consider changing but unless I suddenly discover a calling I’m not yet aware of I can’t see many things I’d enjoy more. I’m not really a “grass is always greener” person. May consider running my own business one day but i’m fairly risk-averse so I doubt I’ll get around to it any time soon.

Yeah, can afford a bike that is worthy of a far more skilled rider than myself. But then I’m not married, have no mortgage and no kids, which helps.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Out of job.. On DOLE 😥

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Thought is was fun so made it into a career!
    Still enjoy it although it turns more into work each year. But I have tons of time off and the mortgage gets paid.
    I kind of wish I’d gone into the fire service after uni, but I’m happy with my lot.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Equine butcher

lister

Outdoor activities and environmental education. Mostly with primary school kids.

Love it, beats working. Had a break for a year and went back. No desire to change jobs at all. I find it fun, I think I’m quite good at it and I can’t think of anything else I want to do. Work is only 5 miles away.

I don’t get paid enough, but I doubt many people in similar jobs do. Quality of life, and some perks of the job (trade price kit etc) helps make up for it. But only earn enough to get by, no spare to save etc. Saying that though, we have food and wine and cars and bikes and boards and kids and a house so I can’t complain!

Cycle to work scheme has just bought me my first new bike in 11 years (plus a top up from Mr Visa) can’t really afford it, but by buggery I deserve it!

Only other thing I can think of to do is buy somewhere that I could convert into a surfy bunkhouse/cafe/camp site sort of place but the set up costs are really high and I’m not a natural gambler so the house isn’t being remortgaged any time soon…

piemonster

Tolerate crap

Northwind

I work in student recruitment- degree salesman basically :mrgreen: It’s pretty good.

gee
    Free Member

Geography teacher. Head of Geography now, Head of Sixth Form from September.

Current position leaves time for training properly, can be a bit hit and miss during term, but I make the most of the time I have. Weekends are free.. New position almost certainly won’t, but then I’m getting a little tired of the training for Elite, and I don’t even really take it that seriously. Planning on weekend riding from September.

GB

Irish_AL
    Free Member

I poke badgers with spoons 😆

scotroutes

Retired (at 50). Worked in a bike shop for a couple of years.Now doing some unpaid/voluntary work for the Scottish Rights of Way Society.

bowie278
    Free Member

How do you make your living? Assistant Golf Club Professional

Are you happy doing it? Nope. It’s not a job, it’s a lifestyle, and one that I don’t like very much.

Would you considering a change of career? Yes, am doing shortly to a big passion of mine. Never been in the best position to do so before so shortly it’ll be big 😀

Does it pay enough for you to mtb comfortably? Currently as an assistant, providing I save a bit, then it’s not too bad but things seem to take agesss to save for.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘What do you do as a living?’ is closed to new replies.