Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 286 total)
  • What do you do?
  • Olly
    Free Member

Former member of the SAS, indie legend, astronaut and secret agent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Kim

If i had a hero, it would be Jonny Kim.

And i like to remind myself that hes a year older than me, so ive got scope to catch up, if i put my mind to it.

Beagleboy

I’m a lab manager, maintaining the day to day running of a research group investigating the replication and immune system evasion of blood borne parasites like Leishmania and Trypanosoma species at Glasgow Uni. As part of my job I also run a sequencing service, where I prep and run DNA / RNA on Next generation Sequencing tech. I absolutely love my job. Every day really is a school day.

I’ve read some amazing job descriptions on this thread, there’s some incredibly talented people here. For me though, the winner is @Kimbers. You keep checking folks colons mate. You’re my hero. I wouldn’t be here now if it wasn’t for dedicated professionals like yourself, the oncology teams and the rather awesome NHS.

B.

ElShalimo

I help insurance and reinsurance companies understand their exposure to natural catastrophes across the globe.

There are some very talented people on here.

epynt
    Free Member

I mainly write software for phones. I sometimes write software for not phones.

Davesport

@nstpaul

JAFO*
    Offshore North Sea.27 years, only another 15 to go….

*(Just Another F*****g Operator)

# user name, Ninian Southern?

pandhandj
    Free Member

I’m an insignificant cog in the machinery of an international bank. The very definition of pointless. I often wonder if I just stopped working, how long it would be before anyone even noticed.

Duggan

Mediocre in-house lawyer, though I don’t really mind it.

JAG

I’m a professional mechanical Engineer. I spend my days discussing brake caliper and brake system design for a medium sized car manufacturer who’s Engineering team is based just outside Leamington Spa in the Midlands ;o)

uniqueusername

Visual effects artist. I help make the cg that ruins the film’s. That’s isn’t our intent but seems to be the public perception.

rapidrob95
    Free Member

Mechanical design engineer at the UK’s synchrotron. Spend most of the day sat behind a desk designing things that may benefit the human race, but Joe Public is very unlikely to see anything I design!

TheBrick
    Free Member

What it is is not important but I know if don’t want to be doing it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I help make software, but it would be a career limiting move to say who for and for what purpose on social media.

In a previous employment I made the lights go round on the front of the sky tellyboxes. A large part of the population of the UK, Germany and Australia has seen the fruits of my labours.

Before that I was part of a team that made a widget that helped BT check ISDN lines.

ossify

If i had a hero, it would be Jonny Kim.

And i like to remind myself that hes a year older than me, so ive got scope to catch up, if i put my mind to it.

Looks like you’re the same age as me 😉

Another thing to bear in mind when you’re out riding is that you’re halfway between the ages of Aaron Gwin and Greg Minaar, so should be able to tap into the riding abilities of both if you put your mind to it.

footflaps

I’m an insignificant cog in the machinery of an international bank. The very definition of pointless. I often wonder if I just stopped working, how long it would be before anyone even noticed.

I have a friend who works for a large bank. His role was made redundant but not him, he’s spent the last couple of years volunteering for the ambulance service. Think he’s been in to work once in the last year – they just keep paying him to do nothing (for them).

leondemille
    Free Member

I talk and think about masturbation far too much, and get paid for it!
    Intervention/ treatment programmes for people convicted of sexual offences. Tends to stop the conversation in its tracks!

IHN

I have a friend who works for a large bank. His role was made redundant but not him, he’s spent the last couple of years volunteering for the ambulance service. Think he’s been in to work once in the last year – they just keep paying him to do nothing (for them).

Have they got any jobs going?

justinbieber

I’m a photographer and graphic designer, mainly working within the bike industry. At the end of every tax year I take stock and reckon I could earn more, have less stress and work more regular hours with a proper job, but I’m hardly ever bored and I get to think about bikes all the time so it’s not all bad

ElShalimo

I thought you were a singer with tattoos?

Cougar

Those Russian lesbians?

ElShalimo

😆

justinbieber

@elshalimo – that’s just a cover to keep everyone from poaching my Strava segments

cheese@4p

Textile jacquard designer for 30+ years, now managing quality, environmental and H&S systems in a different textile company. I miss the design work. Nevermind, I’m retiring end of this year.

dpfr

Geek really- worked at a university for a long time, then a few years ago realised the new boss was a complete knob and fell out with him big style. Now largely focus my interest on outside activities in industry and Government. If I am right we are one of @stingmered’s big clients, and we may be about to take ownership of @squirrelking’s place of work. But best of all, the university hasn’t quite worked this out and continues to pay me.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Macro Data Refinement, or so I’m told. I don’t really know.

And what do you like to do in your time off?

Mat

@nstpaul

JAFO*
    Offshore North Sea.27 years, only another 15 to go….

*(Just Another F*****g Operator)
    # user name, Ninian Southern?

Surely NST is North Sea Tiger?

nickc

I used to commission, start, and sometimes run community based NHS services by taking doctors (sometimes kicking and screaming) away from hospitals and putting them in GP locations so that they go to to the patients rather than the other way around. It was rewarding and exciting  and challenging. But the hours were insane, the mileage was insane, the bureaucracy of hospitals, the NHS, and CCGs is insane,

So I downsized and now I’m a Practice Manager in a GP, I still have to deal with all the insanity, but I get to walk away from at at a reasonable hour, and instead of an average of 50000 miles a year of motorway bashing I cycle 8 miles to and from work.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@dpfr I’m going to take a shot in the dark and say your company is next door? Looking at 3 years minimum before we knock down the fence but yeah, that’s the way we’re going.

benman
    Free Member

I’m a product designer for one of the UK’s big outdoor brands. I try and stay impartial on threads which recommend kit 🙂

nstpaul

@Davesport

Na, but spent some time on the central many years ago.

@Mat

Yep, an extremely ironic piss taking username, nor am I a bear 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Lowly paper works pen pusher me.

Wish I was an engineer or product designer or maker …

BenjiM

Cheese Eater

dpfr

@squirrelking I’m NDA rather than Magnox, but we are all one happy family these days……

db

Currently I’m a “Global HR Systems Manager” for a energy company. Main focus is HR data, data privacy, GDPR but I do a lot of large scale HR system transformation projects like rolling out new HCM systems and payroll platforms. Can’t say I’m changing the world but it pays me well and keeps me off the streets.

bensales
    Free Member

I draw pictures of clouds on whiteboards to enable companies to stalk you better on the internet and sell you more stuff you don’t need. Or complain about stuff you have bought.

bentudder

Head of content at a cyber security company. Currently less writing and more cat-herding, but it’s quite fun because there are a lot of really interesting stories, some of which we even get to talk about publicly. I also get to talk to seriously brainy people all day, and live in constant hope that some of it will eventually rub off.

Harry_the_Spider

Cost estimates for industrial equipment. Not much fun in the current materials climate.

ready

I sell agricultural timber fencing, and spend way too much time worrying I’m not good enough on a bike..

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Scotland’s third best Chesney Hawkes tribute act.

A bit of finance focused IT as a side gig.

BillMC

Read a bit, carve a bit, ride bikes a bit, go up the pub, listen to loud music, travel a bit. Don’t really get any time off.

stingmered

@dfpr yep, indeed. I’ve just come off a 2 hour meeting looking at how we can make sure that site is handed over to you from ‘them’ in a state that will minimise cost to the tax-payer and fit nicely with your ‘mission’. Let’s just say ‘their’ safety case requirements are way out of line with what will be needed post 2025… I’m not with RR BTW… just a very interested party and this sits squarely within my strategic campaigns remit. (Hope we’re talking about the same site!)

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 286 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.