Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What do you call this part on a bike?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My mates got a Cannondale F400. We think its about 8 years old.

The front mech is near on impossible to change up due to friction in the system. The mech itself works and moves fine. The gear changer is working fine, and the cable is lubed and clean.

So all I can think it is now is the plastic cable guide that the cable runs around under the bottom bracket. It is deeply grooved, so I assume this is creating the friction ?

What do you call that piece of plastic under the bottom bracket? Ive googled front mech gable guide and nothing is coming up…

Ta

crikey
    Free Member

Bottom bracket cable guide.

Simon

Cable guide,
    Cable Guides

northernmatt

They’re about a quid. LBS should have them.

weeksy

Why not fit a full length outer and it doesn’t matter as its removed from the equation?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Bb guide

Just get a short bit of plastic tube ( used in sealed cable sets ) and run it through the bb guide
    But it might be the shifter

leffeboy

You could even just check by running the cable through a short piece of outer tie wrapped around the bottom of the BB for a bit.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

THanks for the advice , I think I might try the bit of outer cable to check.

bommer
    Free Member

Are you sure you’ve got the cable routed to the mech correctly? If it’s routed under the BB, it needs to go around the cam before you bolt it in place.

abbot
    Free Member

In the trade they are known as frumptons chafe plate or the wifes knatterjack.

Easily replaced with a Thompson half crab shell if needed.

LLOYDSTEVENS
    Free Member

You will not be able to run full length outer on the front mech as you don’t have a stop for the outer.
    You could Try the short outer option, but for the sake of a couple of quid you may as well bite the bullet.

This one is the correct one for your bike. Click Here

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What do you call this part on a bike?’ is closed to new replies.