Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • What do people watch whilst on the turbo?
  • legend
    Free Member

No further questions

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mostly netflix and amazon instant video. So far this winter, 4 series of 24, a series of Jennifer Jones, series of Daredevil, and a few films.

Do people not ride their bikes outdoors anymore?

I don’t think the two activities are mutually exclusive. I do both. Obviously not at the same time (though I guess I could turbo on the patio.)

i sold mine and go swimming instead

I’m sure there is a forum somewhere where people are being berated for swimming in a pool instead of winter open water.

freeagent
    Free Member

Do people not ride their bikes outdoors anymore?

I don’t think the two activities are mutually exclusive. I do both.

+1.

The turbo is good if i’m at home looking after this kids.
    Tonight is a good example – wife out for eve, kids will be in bed by 8.30 – I can get in 45mins – 1hr of quality riding (quality from a leg/cardio point of view) whilst they are asleep.

However, providing the weather isn’t too horrific, i’ll do a couple of hours outside on Sunday morning.

ferrals
    Free Member

youtube cyclocross vids or red bull mtb vids, though recently the red bull vids keep crashing. I barely register wahts happening to be honest once I’m out of warm up.

Wont be long now till its light enoguh to mean I’ll be using the turbo a lot less. Can’t bloody wait!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I generally watch the array of floaters and stars that appear, or the back of my eyelids. That and visualisations of running on the track as that’s how i judge my efforts.

grahamt1980

Sufferfest or trailtrainer.
    Either way sometimes i can’t see the screen

Northwind

Box sets mostly. Not so much films, they tend to demand more attention, tv’s generally designed to be a bit less immersive/involving/whatever, more backgroundy. it’s not suitable for all routines but there’s lots of ways to turbo- I don’t care at all about doing it the “best” way because the best way is a routine I’ll actually do.

fasthaggis

I watch films of people swimming

davieg
    Free Member

I watched Twin Peaks last year, over rated and not as I remembered it. “How’s Annie”…. ❓

I finally caught up with season 1 of The Wire last year on the turbo, but struggling with season 2. Too much to concentrate on so I am missing bits. Must find something less taxing. In his book, Geraint Thomas recommends nothing nuanced or layered so no Wire or Game of Thrones. He’s right

I mix up Sufferfest and Trainerroad, but trying to complete Sweet Spot base in the latter so using it more. I find music concert films work well, especially when doing FTP tests.

Do the GCN videos have recommended cadence and effort levels? That is the great thing with Trainerroad, giving you a target to aim at.

wilburt
    Free Member

Zwift ..of course.

mrblobby
    Free Member

nothing nuanced or layered

24’s been good for this, fairly fast paced, plenty of action, not too complicated a plot, not too much dialogue. And when one episode finishes the next one starts so don’t need to think about what to watch next. No chance I’d be able to follow The Wire on the turbo!

ourmaninthenorth

Turbo ought to be a painful, short sharp shock of interval training. When I did that sort of thing I barely saw even the film part of the Sufferfest vids.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Turbo ought to be a painful, short sharp shock of interval training.

Why?

dragon
    Free Member

Turbo ought to be a painful, short sharp shock of interval training. When I did that sort of thing I barely saw even the film part of the Sufferfest vids.

+1 If you manage to actually properly watch stuff or read you are utterly wasting your time. Turbo for me would rarely if ever go over an hour and would be essentially pyramid intervals or 2×20 blocks.

avdave2

I bought one then after a few uses I put a softer winter tyre on the bike and haven’t wanted to wear it out going nowhere so at the moment it’s not getting used. I need to get a spare wheel and training tyre but I’m also running to work 3 times a week which is a round trip of 11-12K, doing a Park Run on Saturdays and a club run on the bike on Sundays so I don’t really feel the need for anymore exercise.
    I find running in crap weather preferable to riding in it, in fact I actually find it enjoyable. I think the big thing for me is no matter how cold or wet it is your always generating enough heat to keep warm.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you manage to actually properly watch stuff or read you are utterly wasting your time.

😀

I do a lot of long z2/z3/tempo work on the turbo (I’d rather do it on the road, and I think it’s more beneficial on the road, but that’s not always possible.) It’s not so intense that I can’t watch something on the telly that isn’t too demanding. I’d like to think I’m not totally wasting my time 😉

(I do sort of agree on the reading though.)

zinaru
    Free Member

not been on the turbo for a year or so but i found making a playlist on iTunes really useful. strong rhythmic ‘motorik’ stuff…

some music worked amazingly well – simple headphone mind by stereolab/nurse with wound was really great (and lasts 30 mins), the miles davis experiment wasnt so good…

definitely never had the frame of mind to read or watch anything though.

DT78
    Free Member

Interval stuff I generally just listen to music, surf on here during the rest periods. Longer sessions I’ve been trying out Amazon prime. Man in high tower (seems odd not sure I get where it is going…)

I too turbo because I have maybe 1.5hrs in an evening tops to get a decent session in between kiddies bedtime and eating food.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Whatever takes your fancy really. I’ve watched some BBC wildlife stuff and a bit of Sherlock recently. Of course music and podcasts can also work well.

You don’t have to be going flat out, my treadmill running is all steady miles rather than intervals – would probably overheat if I was going hard. Plus I’d be less likely to do it in the first place.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Are there any vids of mtb rides where you can “join in” like the plethora of road cycling ones which bore me to death? I do find the turbo hard work but watching guys road ride just finishes me off.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Peoples bottoms on zwift.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Zwift is good. Sufferfest with trainer road and a power meter is even better.

Most of the time when I just want to maintain what little fitness I have I use my Tacx flow with the videos and gps rides. Connecting the brake changes restiance with gradient, plus it’ll take a reading from my power meter for the wattage. Times around my local routes are pretty accurate.

On sunday I’ll be tackling Alp duez…

not particularly focused like the trainer road workouts, but less likely to make me vomit.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘What do people watch whilst on the turbo?’ is closed to new replies.