Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • What do meat eaters think about this?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I know what vegetarians think – wonder what other meat-eaters opinions are?

The study of British people’s diets was conducted by University of Oxford scientists and found that meat-rich diets – defined as more than 100g per day – resulted in 7.2kg of carbon dioxide emissions. In contrast, both vegetarian and fish-eating diets caused about 3.8kg of CO2 per day, while vegan diets produced only 2.9kg. The research analysed the food eaten by 30,000 meat eaters, 16,000 vegetarians, 8,000 fish eaters and 2,000 vegans.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I think pork and chicken are meat.
    And that scantily clad female in the lightinthebox advert is pretty hot.

hooli

I think meat is tasty 😆

binners

I reckon that vegetarians generate more gas than all the cows in the world (must be all the omelettes), thus disproportionately contributing to global warming. And the ever-burning fires of self-righteousness add yet more

Go on… kill it and eat it…. you know you want too, really …. why fight it…… 😀

toby1

I spend most of the week not driving a car, so at the weekend I can eat BEEF!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t drive stupid cars, I conserve energy where I can and I reduce my impact on the planet in many ways. Meat is tasty it’s my compromise.

Notter
    Free Member

I eat meat, fish and vegetables, which category should I be aligning to?!

I was actually hoping the “emissions” in your quote were bottom emissions, in which case meat eaters win 😉

mt
    Free Member

I mostly provide my own meat supplies. Bit of rabbit in a curry, lovely.
    If a good portion of the world wants to eat meat then it can only be supplied in an industrialised manner. Lots of antibiotics and other drugs, questionable welfare but it coming to a store near you.

Binners, you missed the farty lentils.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My wife was vegetarian for years for just this reason- it doesn’t really make sense to eat meat in terms of energy in/out and CO2 emissions.

She isn’t a vegetarian anymore because it’s too tasty.

Pyro

I think I don’t care that much. Meat is tasty, and farts are amusing.

legend
    Free Member

Couldn’t care less. hth

wwaswas

I know what vegetarians think

That’s a bit of an assumption, isn’t it?

There’s a lot of reasons why people don;t eat meat that aren’t related to cO2 emissions?

hora
    Free Member

Whenever I ride past Lambs/Ewe’s I think about Mutton and Lamb. Everytime. I’d happily kill a Lamb if shown properly how to carve/butcher it.

Same with chickens, especially the ones that live behind my house somewhere. I’d throttle them all.

How does that sit with you OP?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I know what vegetarians think

That’s a bit of an assumption, isn’t it?

Guilty, good point, but this is STW! It’s like Top Gear innit

andytherocketeer

Meat is biologically processed vegetable matter.

Bet the stats were swayed by onions being included in meat curry. And onions are one of, if not the worst culprit for fart generation.

johndoh
    Free Member

Cows fart lots. If we didn’t eat them all, the atmosphere would be over 67% cow boff.

bigjim

I think if you ever fly or drive anywhere it is completely insignificant!

They should measure how much gas comes out the butts of veggies too.

Northwind

That’s a classic Hora post there, good work chief.

I’m not going veggie in a hurry but I could definitely cut down beef. Seems to me that it could make a meaningful difference to just switch meats rather than neccesarily reduce intake?

mt
    Free Member

Hora, Get on a butchery course for a day, great fun. I was bought present at that River Cottage place (middle classes were well represented), spent a good bit of time with me hand up a chicken pulling its insides out side, fascinating. It’s a shame when chickens stop laying but there is always a tastie resolution.

edit, forgot to mention, eating lamb and mutton is ok for vegetarians. They eat grass, you eat them.

binners

This thread has made me really, really want a burger now. I know what I’ll be eating tonight now. Cheers OP 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

How does that sit with you OP?

I help raise and pick sheep and cattle for slaughter, (also foster orphan lambs and rescue battey hens) so my feelings are quite complex towards intensive farming – it doesn’t add up/seem right to me for a number of reasons. Personally have only butchered my own game, seemed OK but that wasnt the point if the article. If you literally meant how do your feelings sit with me? Nowhere really, seemed like a mild, assumptive trolling – but I could be wrong! Apologies if so.

wwaswas

Problem is that you have to also give up all cows milk based products to have a meaningful effect on CO2 production.

The meat is almost a by-product of milk production in most countries.

Unless they kill the calves as they’re born they need to keep producing young cattle in order to keep milk production going.

tinybits
    Free Member

I tell you what, there’s a place not quite on my way home* that does a great steak. I’m getting some to cook later. Cheers OP, I was having a salad!

*15mile detour, but I’ll make up the time by driving faster.

johndoh
    Free Member

edit, forgot to mention, eating lamb and mutton is ok for vegetarians. They eat grass, you eat them.

So it’s just wrong to eat tigers then right? I’m okay then – almost a veggie.

Milkie
    Free Member

What do I think of that article.. Couldn’t really give a flying rats arse, you can spout all the stats you want. It doesn’t change how good it tastes. 😉

Binners… Damn you! That looks so bloody good!

slowoldman

…spent a good bit of time with me hand up a chicken pulling its insides out side, fascinating. It’s a shame when chickens stop laying…

That’s not how you get the eggs out once they stop laying.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Watch out hora, if all the moral gods from the hotel breakfast thread see that your considering throttling someone else’s chicken, they’ll have to lor’ on ya!.

Throttling someone else’s chicken, haha, just read that back!.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Last vegan I worked with had to take charcoal tablets his wind was that bad and often it got to point people refused to work with him. Can’t say I’ve experienced the same with bacon butty lovers.

hora
    Free Member

I agree with Hugh Fearnley-thingy-stall. If you want to eat meat you should appreciate where it comes from, value it more and be prepared to kill the animal that you eat.

When meat comes in ready meals – I think that should be banned. Its not meat just a name and a filler. I don’t believe its any quality meat either.

I also think we should eat the offal.

I love kidneys, heart and especially Liver. OP – how thats still ok with you? Make the most of the animal.

ampthill

No one has yet proved that low energy bulbs reduce Co2 emissions. Because if the money saved is spent on a weekend break by plane then you might have increased the emissions. So I suspect that we need to know more before can conclude that me going vegetarian would reduce emissions

The planet could support more people if they were all vegetarian because we can support more veggies per acre than meet eaters

So if we were all vegetarian then that might allow a bigger world population. But that bigger population might produce co2 at a greater rate even if the emission per person are less

DezB
    Free Member

more than 100g per day – resulted in 7.2kg of carbon dioxide emissions

7.2kg per day? That’s a lot isn’t it.
    7.2kg of chicken breast costs about £50 you know.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Cows fart lots. If we didn’t eat them all, the atmosphere would be over 67% cow boff.

If we didnt eat them, we would use the land to grow crops. Unless you think that cows live forever or else own their own land? 😉

andyl
    Free Member

They should measure how much gas comes out the butts of veggies too

😆

My sheep keep the grass and hedges trimmed. When they poo they fertilise the grass and it grows faster. Eventually we eat them. In doing so we keep alive and produce Co2 to feed the grass.

The good old carbon cycle is a lot more sustainable than using fossil fuels to make stuff, transport food (meat and vegetables) etc etc. The abattoir is closer than the supermarket too.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Just re-read the quote. It’s CO2 gases not Methane. Simply, vegetarians don’t get enough energy so walk around in a zombie state creating less CO2 gases. Meat eaters on the other hand are full of energy, moving quicker and creating more CO2 gas a byproduct 😀

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

Problem is that you have to also give up all cows milk based products to have a meaningful effect on CO2 production.

Fine, we’ll just switch to dog milk.

andytherocketeer

kidney is the best bit in steak and kidney pie

chicken hearts starter at some restaurant in French Guiana was ace. Lotta chooks needed to make that dish.

I guess veggies are fine with the free range chickin industry and dairy cows to make bread? and bees to make the bee sick to spread on their toast in the morning?

peter1979
    Free Member

Does the report take into account the amount of CO2 created when vegetarians and vegans go f*****g on about themselves being vegetarian or vegan?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whenever I ride past Lambs/Ewe’s I think about Mutton and Lamb. Everytime. I’d happily kill a Lamb if shown properly how to carve/butcher it.

Same with chickens, especially the ones that live behind my house somewhere. I’d throttle them all.

If you can get past the “string it up by its back legs and cut it’s throat” bit then the rest is no more difficult than carving a very big, hairy, still warm, bleeding, roast chicken, with big doey eyes. Ok, it’s actualy pretty grim.

Milkie
    Free Member

Going on the “make the most of the animal” sort of theme. For similar reasons I’ve started eating Veal as they are usually just discarded waste from Dairy farming.

I wonder how many meat eaters would actually kill the animals they eat.

andytherocketeer

depends on the animal, and how hungry

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘What do meat eaters think about this?’ is closed to new replies.