Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What do i need to watch tv in my tent?
  • tops5
    Free Member

Going camping @cyb next week and want to take a telly – what should i get? Is there some sort of aerial made for camping?

RealMan
    Free Member

A good talking to?

HTH.

yunki
    Free Member

hmmmm.. I guess it may be slightly different since the digital switchover..

Mantastic
    Free Member

You planning of watching TV rather than riding? Or you worried about missing dancing on ice whilst your mates have fun trading stories over a beer or two?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What RealMan said.

But if you insist on taking a TV make sure you can use headphones with it, nothing more annoying than someone in a nearby tent with a radio/TV on.

project
    Free Member

a tv licence unless its run on its own batteries,

a freeview box,

an inverter to change dc, from car battery to 240 volts for the freeview box,

a tv and remote control,

tv listings mag.

Oh and i feel the same i just cant live without John Barrowman on a saturday night.

Burls72
    Free Member

If it’s a tv with freeview built in an aerial and an inverter to run it of the car battery, assuming you’re not on electric hook-up? Any aerial sould do but the better quality or with built in booster the better.

Edit: I type to slow

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Shadow puppets?

Or a laptop with a USB freview tuner?

Moonhead
    Free Member

a book? 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

One decent smartphone and or tablet of your choice.
    Download/ rip a shed load of stuff onto it.
    Plug in head phones and watch.

Use iplayer/ piratebay when you get back to civilization to catch up.

Cougar

With respect,

If you want to take a TV, you’re missing the point of camping. Set Sky+ (or whichever) for anything you don’t want to miss, find a pub with ‘the game’ if you’re desperate to watch something live, or don’t go camping.

Is it something you want to watch as broadcast, or just a screen for pre-recorded shows etc? Two very different questions.

tartanscarf

A TV camping?! Holy bejeesus, aren’t you meant to be having fun?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I find a camp fire and several ales is more than a substitute for telly but if you really want to you can go to truck stop and get one that will run off the fag lighter socket. I think most are 24v but you can convert to 12v with an adapter. I think.?

Elmo
    Free Member

I think you’d be lucky to receive a signal through a portable aerial around there.

Plus I think your missing the point of camping. Book into a local B&B if you can’t go without.
    You’ll be a pain to your neighbours and an embarrassment to your friends.
    If it’s to keep kids quiet, then there’s loads of better ways!

seosamh77
    Free Member

get a case of lager or a quarter of weed like any other sensible camping type! 😀 tele ffs! also take some musical instruments, we had 2 guitars, a set of bongos, a tin whistle and ukelele last time! great fun was had, though i just hope no one was recording the racket we made! 😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

iPlayer app – watch last week’s TV and live stuff.

TooTall
    Free Member

what should i get?

a life. Nothing else needed.

jon1973
    Free Member

With respect,

If you want to take a TV, you’re missing the point of camping.

My wife and I go camping a lot, and usually take the laptop. We do loads of stuff during the day and in the evening, but sometimes it’s nice to watch a DVD with a beer or glass of wine or something before you go to bed. Not sure I’d bother trying to get live TV but you can do shed loads of other stuff and enjoy a bit of TV – doing stuff and TV aren’t mutually exclusive.

a life. Nothing else needed.

climb down off that high horse. 🙄

mav12
    Free Member

i have a portable 7inch
    dvd player with built in freeview ebay about £40 which i use on long fishing trips i use a portable tv aerial and a 12v lead acid battery lasts about 10 to 12 hours reception is a bit hit and miss

lucien

“i have a portable 7inch” too and this is why I don’t need a TV when camping

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What lucien said. A wide one is best.

we had 2 guitars, a set of bongos, a tin whistle and ukelele last time! great fun was had

Urgh, bloody psuedo hippies playing bongos. Makes me want to kill people, usually the person playing them

rkk01
    Free Member

A special medical implement for inserting the aerial where there is no chance of a signal???

Camping =

Good Weather (sitting outside + chucking meat on BBQ / mulifuel stove / open fire + beer / red wine + good company…[can be self])

Bad Weather (sitting in tent with single malt [pref lots variety of singles to compare] + good company)

wwaswas

headphones.

I don’t want to listen to other peoples telly when my kids are trying to get to sleep.

We had a lovely evening of the Eurovision song contest last time we went camping in the New Forest.

Milkie
    Free Member

If you have a laptop or iPhone and decent internet connection (3G/WiFi), you can watch live tv via tvcatchup.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

we had 2 guitars, a set of bongos, a tin whistle and ukelele last time! great fun was had, though i just hope no one was recording the racket we made!

If you’re in the middle of nowhere then it sounds great fun but if you’re sharing a site with other people then that is very selfish behaviour.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Urgh, bloody psuedo hippies playing bongos. Makes me want to kill people, usually the person playing them

I brought the guitar! Am I ok? 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

If you’re in the middle of nowhere then it sounds great fun but if you’re sharing a site with other people then that is very selfish behaviour.

I agree, we were in the middle of nowhere! a tele in a camp site would be equally annoying!

molgrips
    Free Member

I would like to do something of which STW disapprove. Please flame me.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

seosamh77: If you’re out of earshot of other folk then you should feel free to uke’ and bongo ’til your heart’s content.

BigJohn

You can get freesat dishes and decoders from a caravan shop for £50

tops5
    Free Member

LOL – expected a bit of a flaming, feel like I’ve finally arrived on the forum now.

If it was me and a bunch of riding mates – I don’t think I would be asking but it’s me my missus and 13 yo daughter for a week. If it rains all week things may get a little tense, you can only play cards/dominoes etc for so long.

Anyway thanks for the advice, I’m a relative newb to camping so will heed the advice regarding anoyance to neighbouring campers (unless I find out they sanctimonious STW’ers 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have seen a 40″+ tv in a 3 man tent on campsites before! baffling.

anyway. get to a LCS (local caravan shop) or http://www.towsure.com/

they will probably have what you need and good advice.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What do i need to watch tv in my tent?’ is closed to new replies.