Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What do i need to know about tubeless tyres ?
  • shaungero
    Free Member

New bike is on its way (well secondhand but new to me) and it has tubeless tyres set up which i want to keep. So what things do i need to know about them and what do you carry with you on rides for backup?

cheers

jimjam
    Free Member

Without being cheeky I would probably start here. There is a wealth of information out there already. Better to do some research.

what do you carry with you on rides for backup?

A tube.

Bedds
    Free Member

I guess the big thing is to remember that the system loses air (albeit slowly), remember to check pressures if you have a few weeks off the bike. I had a realisation of how soft my tyres were this!

Inflate with the valve at the top?

Carry a tube

andylc
    Free Member

My tubeless tyres lose less air than they did with tubes but I guess it varies. I simply carry a tube on rides, plus a pump and some tyre levers obviously. Have only had one puncture in 2 years though.

shaungero
    Free Member

Cheers,
    Spare tube is the go then. think i better watch a couple of you tube clips to get upto date.

pnik

I’ve just realised why my camelback is so heavy. Spare tube, mini pump, co2, park patches, tyre patch and those anchovie things.

Time to downsize maybe? Rarely have a problem I can fix though 😉

Edit: and levers obviously.

richb1910
    Free Member

I have been running tubeless tyres for around 7 years now. The good news is a lot less flats. Since running tubeless I have had the usual thorn’s and even a large screw stuck through the tyre none of these have caused the tyre to deflate while out on a ride.

You will definitely need a track pump to get the tyre back on if you ever need to take it off and put it back on again. Trying to get a tubeless tyre to seal on the rim with a hand pump is almost impossible in my experience.

If you do need to repair a tyre while out and about the good news is you do not need to remove it to do so. Find the offending puncture place and then plug this with a Panaracer tubeless repair kit £7.50 repairs multiple times and works with the tyre still fitted. Just blow up afterwards takes 10 mins or so and totally secure.

I would never go back to tubes and I never carry one with me whether out local or on a long distance ride. Carry a tyre boot just in case you slash a tyre as well though. Goods news is the extra kit weights next to zero.

Hope you enjoy the new bike.

Rich

Suggsey
    Free Member

As per pink, I actually had to use an anchovies on a recent snowy long Mynd ride when a nail made a decent hole that wouldn’t seal….my bad as I hadn’t topped the sealant up in over a year of thorny riding. Popped the anchovy in, CO2 re inflated and sealed a treat in seconds.
    Much better using the anchovy than using a tube in my opinion so you don’t loose all your sealant and or covering yourself, the trail side and your bike in sealant.

tillydog
    Free Member

Spare tube is the go then.

I think you may also need a small pliers or something to get all the thorns out of the tyre before you can put the tube in. There must have been a dozen hawthorns in the last tubeless tyre I took off. The outside end of the thorns seem to get pushed under the surface of the rubber, so they’re really difficult to pull or push out. (And I do check my tyres after most rides and pull out any thorns I can see.)

I wouldn’t go back to tubes, though.

Klunk
    Free Member

I would never go back to tubes and I never carry one with me whether out local or on a long distance ride. Carry a tyre boot just in case you slash a tyre as well though. Goods news is the extra kit weights next to zero.

how does the tyre boot work when you’re not carrying a tube ? with tubeless carry exactly the same as you carry with tubes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What do i need to know about tubeless tyres ?’ is closed to new replies.