Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What do I need to know about track bikes?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I want an entry level machine, but I’d rather get dedicated stuff rather than bodge a road SS.

I understand track bikes have different geometry to road bikes, is this true?

1) Frame: there’s a nice Dolan frame for £163 on Ribble, could be a good starting point.
    2) I know I’ll need dedicated track bars
    3) Is it worth going for tubular tyres or is clincher just as good? There are plenty of cheap road wheels available, would they be ok?
    4) I like those dedicated track drivetrains, but is there any point?
    5) Everything else would be the same, right? BB, headset, saddle etc etc.

I am guessing weight is not that important, so I could build for stiffness…

crazy-legs

Wasn’t it you who posted up last week about getting into track racing?

Best bet initially is probably to use one of the hire bikes – certainly the Manchester ones are in pretty good condition and are decent entry level machines. It’ll give you an idea of what size to go for and how the geometry works. For indoor riding, bikes need a minimum of 11″ BB height, outdoor tracks are less critical cos they’re slightly less banked (usually).

Dolan is probably one of the best known names in track cycling, they do everything from entry level right up to top end pro race stuff. Try and go to a couple of track sessions, have a look at what people are riding, most folk are happy to talk about what they use and maybe let you sit on it for sizing.

Track bars are good, they have a more pronounced curve than normal road bars but you can get very good alloy ones for £15, it doesn’t need to be carbon.

For training just use clinchers, there are plenty of decent cheap wheels around but get the best tyres you can. Some velodromes specify tyres that are and aren’t allowed, certainly Manchester bans Michelin tyres and all dual compound tyres.

Drivetrain – anything will do, people use bodged roadie gear or track specific. Aim for about a 46-48T chainring. Coupled with a 15T cog it’ll give you a gear of 82 – 86″ which is perfect for beginners (Manchester and Newport both restrict riders to 88″ max in training sessions). Indoor tracks specify a maximum crank length of 165mm.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

yeah different geometry – steeper angles on the headtube/seat tube and low rake on the forks. although some track bikes for pursuit have a smaller front wheel (650c) with a downward sloping top tube. i’ve never tried one of those but quite fancy a go!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If you intend to use it on a track, check what the min BB height is for that track before you buy….

molgrips
    Free Member

Wasn’t it you who posted up last week about getting into track racing?

Yep. The hire bikes are a nightmare though, can’t adjust anything and I can’t stand to ride with the saddle nose rammed in my perineum.

As for gears – the gearing on the hire bike was way too low for my Chris Hoy style mega thighs *cough*

The ribble frame is sans fork though. Any normal fork work?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Dolan-Track-Frame-excluding-Forks/DOLAFRAK200

phil.w
    Free Member

felt & cinelli both do a cheap full build. (cheaper than you could build a frame up for)

crazy-legs

Yeah, that bugged me about the hire bikes as well, they’re set to about 80-82″. Although there was some pro trackie over from America who did the Tuesday training session at Manchester last week on a hire bike and he won the scratch race against everyone else on 88″. Bit depressing really…

There are track specific forks to go with that frame although so long as you get the rake correct, any road fork will do.

Very useful wesbite for all your track needs:
    http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk/index.php?p=home

Mike_D
    Free Member

You’re in danger of getting very close to the price of a complete bike – I’ve seen Dolan Pre-Cursas at around £500. Saves a lot of thinking 🙂

I had a first-gen Langster kicking around in the shed, which is track geometry (unlike the current road-shaped ones) – debraked, rewheeled and shorter cranks, does nicely. Manchester would probably insist that I ground the cable stops off, though 😉

Mike_D
    Free Member

£599

clubber
    Free Member

As for gears – the gearing on the hire bike was way too low for my Chris Hoy style mega thighs *cough*

Or maybe you’re just a crap spinner – track cycling is all about spinning – even the really fast guys with big legs…

As above, my 1st gen Langster was good on the track – one of them should be around £200 or less I reckon – black one like this:

molgrips
    Free Member

Or maybe you’re just a crap spinner

Maybe, but still – it was too low 🙂

That felt is nice.. didn’t find that on evans but will re-check. Most sites seem to list them in with the road bikes 🙁 And yes I know about the search options 🙂

Mike_D
    Free Member

black one like this:

Gunmetal FTW 🙂

Mike_D
    Free Member

didn’t find that on evans but will re-check

Google for “felt track bike”, second shopping link 🙂 Only appear to have 56cm left, though: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/tk3-2010-track-bike-ec021711?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Google for “felt track bike”, second shopping link Only appear to have 56cm left, though: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/tk3-2010-track-bike-ec021711?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Please don’t put up links like that – I really don’t NEED another bike…..

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So basically a SS road bike then?

Track riding must be a wee bit dull?!

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol@Mat.. ever been?

I’ve done two play sessions and it was the most intensely competitve racing experience I’ve ever had. You’re basically barrelling along really fast eyeball to eyeball with your opponents as the pace builds and the pain starts… I am getting all excited just thinking about it!

Btw it’s a SS fixie road bike with different bars and different geometry. so not really a road bike at all 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Re the Langster – it bills it as a track or road bike, but it comes with brakes. Can I not save money and order it without brakes? Can I hell.

FuzzyWuzzy

Fixed and no brakes – it’s anything but dull if you forget :p

crazy-legs

Re the Langster – it bills it as a track or road bike, but it comes with brakes. Can I not save money and order it without brakes? Can I hell.

First generation Langsters were proper track geometry and a decent gear as well (81″), I’ve got one and it’s a top notch bike.
    They changed the geometry and gearing after that to appeal more to the fixie fashionista crowd, newer ones really don’t handle that well on the bankings.

Need to be a bit careful buying track bikes off the peg, there are some great ones around (like that felt) but some “track” bikes are actually fixie fashionista twatbikes which don’t have anything like a racing geometry.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – nope but I have also never Morris danced or done cross stitch…

Anyway it’s probably fun once you’re doing it. I just like hills and stuff.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Don’t get a post-2006 Langster for the track, they’re the wrong shape – they’re road geometry, all a bit slack and low. I followed a chap on a recentish one a while back, his outside pedal was clearing the boards by a gnat’s pube.

Track riding must be a wee bit dull?!

Why so? Because the bikes are simple? Holy logical leap, Batman!

beej

I’ve got the Felt TK2, after buying a TK3 (the red and black one above) and finding the TK3 was too small. Friend bought the TK2 in my size, and we swapped (I’d only used it twice). Ended up with a crazily good deal too.

I’d go for an off the shelf complete one (but make sure it’s a track bike not a “fixie”) as it’ll have the shorter cranks etc.

Is the Felt any good? No idea, I know nothing about track bikes. Feels OK to me. However, the main coach at Southampton bought one.

Is riding on the track fun? Awesome fun, give it a go.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyway it’s probably fun once you’re doing it. I just like hills and stuff.

Me too. But this is a different ball game.

You might as well say running’s crap because you like water and waves and stuff.

It’s certainly a shitload more fun than triathlon 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

It’s certainly a shitload more fun than triathlon

I thought you hadn’t done one yet?

Variety, hills, the sea, crowds of people cheering, etc – I found ,my last tri rather fun.

Oh and I like running so ner.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol @ mat proclaiming about something he’s never done 🙂 I was making a point that your comments were a bit silly.

Track is really exciting, try it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What do I need to know about track bikes?’ is closed to new replies.