Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What do I need to know about camper vans?
  • 40mpg

Thinking about getting a van for weekends away with the wife. Generally 3 or 4 days, possible the odd whole week, GB and Northern Europe (but don’t intend doing mega miles).

I’d like to spend as little as possible (no surprise) to get something which will last us maybe 5 years. We may trade in the wifes car so would be her daily commute (5 miles each way, open car park, shopping runs etc). I don’t have the time or skills to do my own conversion so needs to be ready to run.

What makes / models are worth looking at?
    Whats the minimum its worth spending?
    What features would you recommend?

Any guidance welcome as I’m new to camper life 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Are you going to use it otherwise? What I mean is will it be used for running around in, or purely for camping?

Sorry, just re-read original post.

If just camping I’d look down the bigger route, purely because they are easier to live in. If you’ll also use as a daily drive then something smaller like a Mazda Bongo (which is what we have), a VW T4/T5 or Transit may be a better bet.

VWs have a definite appeal, but there’s loads of self-converted versions out there of dubious quality. T4s are now fetching a premium and have been known to rot, as have earlier Merc Sprinters. You’ll also pay through the nose for the – admittedly lovely – factory T5 California conversions. The flipside is there’s a very strong VW scene with a lot of knowledgeable people, and consequently a big spares scene. Good examples don’t tend to hang around though, so you’ll need to be quick.

We bought a Mazda Bongo/Ford Frendee as they were cheaper than VWs and generally more reliable, although this is a 20 year old MPV we’re talking about. The raising roof makes a massive difference inside – I would not consider anything without. However, because they’re all grey imports quality varies and the bodywork requires particular attention (the Japanese don’t salt their roads and consequently don’t underseal). They’re also thirsty – getting 30mpg is good. There’s also a good knowledgeable scene, if not as big as the VW one. Ours is a Montague side conversion, but there’s plenty of other good operators out there. I’m definitely glad ours was done professionally – despite not being the original owner I’ve been back and had work done, and they’ve been great every time which has included fixing conversion niggles FOC. Spares are a mix of Mazda, Ford and Bongo-specific. The Ford spares tend to be for Ranger pick-ups or Mondeos, so pretty plentiful. The Bongo-specific are a little less easy to source, but there are suppliers in the country.

I’ve also driven a T4, T5 and a Bongo, and prefer the Bongo. Saying that, the go-faster TDI T5 does look very interesting…

There’s also loads of Sprinter conversions and similar around that you can stand up in, but you’re then getting into very large van territory. There’s nothing else off the top of my head that I’ve seen with a raising roof so, as said above, I wouldn’t personally consider.

40mpg

Will be used as a runaround. Also parking would be easier (at home) with something a bit more car/van sized.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicyclo

They rust and deteriorate especially if you don’t use them.

Not good value for money IMO/experience. They are basically vans with an overpriced interior with features you think you need but end up not using.

Unless it is car size you won’t use it half as much as you think you will after the first flush of enthusiasm.

I now use a van and camp in it.

Buy a Transit – it gives the maximum volume within a vehicle that fits a standard carpark space. You can DIY the features you really need and save money.

towzer

*work out what facilities do you NEED as opposed to those you fancy(cooker, loo, shower, fridge, microwave, oven, grill, beds, water capacity,heater etc etc …………), roughly speaking the more facilities you want the bigger/more of a compromise it is (we wanted [well the gf did] everything so have a 5.71m motorhome…. which is about as small as you can get everything, imho not atall suitable as a runabout)

*Ideas – look at Nu Venture ones (surf, rio Berlingo based and better than you’d think), see also Romahome (r20, r30, r40 which are what I’d call small motorhomes as opposed to day vans – vw ) also have a look for early IH ones and Duettos as older vans can be a bit smaller

On Autotrader motorhomes you can search by length (and other criteria)
    See also: http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/
    http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravan-club-classifieds

Kahurangi

Step 1. Think of a budget.
    Step 2. Do some research, increase your budget.
    Step 3. See some vans a be disappointed with what they look like for your money compared with the adverts. Resolve to look harder.
    Step 4. See a mate’s really nice van. Double your budget.
    Step 5. You’ve lost your weekends to driving around and viewing vans. Resolve yourselves to buy the next OK van you see.
    Step 6. See a nice van. Buy it.
    Step 7. Break down on the way home.

40mpg

Cheers JT, reality bites!

Kahurangi

Not my experience by the way 😉

I have some friends who started out with a budget of £12000 then spent £25000+ with too many rounds of “a little bit more”!

Lots of stuff on local facebook groups… it’s actually a very useful resource!

BillMC

I had a type 2 for surfing and cycling trips. It regularly emptied my pockets with maintenance and fuel. Every time you move it you need to put everything away or in the awning/tent. It broke down on the M4, I got back to London, bought a roof rack, put the camping gear in the boot of a car, two surfboards and two bikes on top and set off again at a higher speed with better fuel economy.
    I see it like holiday homes: a big commitment which you’re then stuck with. We now combine camping out of a car with AirBnB and cheap hotels and I’m sure it costs us a great deal less and, more importantly, a lot less worry.
    Unless money is absolutely no object, which doesn’t seem to be the case, proceed with great caution.

ElShalimo

When we got ours we asked ourselves the following questions based on the likelihood that we’d spend most time sleeping in it, then driving it, then sitting down in it chilling out or avoiding the rain:
    – how big is the bed, will we both fit into it?
    – is the bed comfy (many are less than 6ft long)?
    – is it a reliable vehicle in good condition?
    – are the seats comfy? (not a big problem as cushions can help)
    – does it have what we need? Basics are radio, fridge, electrics and 2 ring stove.
    – does it have enough storage space, in cupboards or on the floor for all of our crap? For us it was walking, climbing & bikes stuff

It really depends on what you want. Some people just want an old 60s VW, some people are happy sleeping in a stealth T5 van with alloys because it looks cool and they don’t worry about getting dressed in the dark in a cramped standard van. Others want to walk about without tw4tting their head every 2 seconds and they want chintz galore so get a full coachbuilt with net curtains etc. etc.

If you break it down into what you really need, then what you want, and what’s nice to have you’ll find that the options that work for you are getting smaller and smaller. Then you’ll probably increase your budget anyway.
    HTH

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Is getting a caravan out of the question? I know you’ve got to tow it but for the price of a ropey camper van you’ll get a superb fairly new (if not new) specced out caravan. If you aren’t planning on doing mega milage it’s definitely worth looking into.

sharkattack

I gave up on the idea of a proper camper. My T5 is insulated and carpeted with nice flooring so it’s cosy but I can still use it as a van. It’s big and versatile and I camp in it. Kind of like a big metal tent. Me and the girlfriend have stayed all over Europe in it. We use a tent if we’re staying put for a few days and so far we’ve made do with camping stoves and basic gear.

Proper campers are cool but they’re so expensive and complicated and you have to lug it all around every time you pop out somewhere. I much prefer my ‘mobile bedroom’ style now. I can be fully loaded or totally empty.

If you go too big or too old that’s when it starts to be a chore around town or in daily use.

bruneep

Can you not just hire one?

ElShalimo

bruneep – Member

– this is an excellent idea. Try before you buy.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Proper campers are cool but they’re so expensive and complicated and you have to lug it all around every time you pop out somewhere.

Unless you’re smart and take the furniture out when you don’t need it.
    http://www.amdro.co.uk/vehicles/citroen-c-20_21.html

http://www.ququq.info/

http://www.yatoo-concept.com/equipements/the-yatoo-set

postierich
    Free Member

Do it just done 5 days in NW Scotland views like this every morning for free 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Fg8ZNT]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Did have to light the patio heater mind!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/G4Agip]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

sharkattack

Which is exactly what I said I do. Without giving 2 grand to Amdro for the privilege.

EDIT: ^Nice pics. Exactly what I enjoy about having a van and being able to pull up almost anywhere.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Expensive. For a long trip I’d buy and then sell at the end if you don’t get on with it – unless it’s trashed you should get your money back. It’s what we did, just without the selling bit.

We can do this to a degree. It does make the van more useful. But then having a two burner hob and fridge in the van is useful too. 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I had a type 2…

Yeah. That’s what really put me off buying a VW. 😉

ElShalimo

Renting for a weekend will cost £300-400 and will be a good test if they choose a vehicle similar to the one they might buy

duncancallum

Rich is that Ben eighe?

BillMC

Dodged a bullet there PMJ.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What do I need to know about camper vans?’ is closed to new replies.