Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What do I need to Bleed my Shimano Brakes?
  • Duggan

I’ve never done this before but going to give it a bash.

I’m happy to follow the set of instructions here:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_0040A_001/SI_0040A_001_En_v1_m56577569830615981.pdf

The thing is I’m having trouble working out exactly what I need. The allen key and also 7mm socket wrench for the bleed nipple are fine, I probably have those.

The thing is if I google ‘Shimano bleed kit’ then I get two results:

‘shimano bleed kit and oil’ (’50ml bottle of mineral oil, length of bleed pipe’)

‘Shimano Bleed Kit M575’ (this is the plastic yellow funnel thing with the stopper and nothing else)

So I’m surprised that I can’t buy the whole shooting match in one go but happy to buy the above products separately, whatever.

But the other thing is the guy in the instructions above uses a syringe as well as a length of tube with a plastic bag on the end and these don’t appear to be included in the bleed kit- presumably I have to procure these separately somewhere?

I really thought I’d just be able to buy the whole lot in one go.

The problem is I’m pretty woeful at maintenance so could really do with being able to follow the above instructions by rote, step by step otherwise I know I’ll just fu*k it up- any bodge jobs, workarounds, home-made solutions will doubtless be beyond me.

Is there really nowhere I can get the whole lot in one go? And if not, where can I get the syringe, tube and plastic bag thing?

I’m going to mess this up, aren’t I?

Brakes are M575 btw

steve_b77
    Free Member

Bleed kit from epic bleed solutions on eBay

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Dont bother with a bleed kit, bleeding brakes is a waste of time and a ball ache.
    Empty the system and just fill it back up using a syringe and plastic tube.

dannybgoode

Do they need bleeding? If not don’t bother basically.

Cheers

Danny B

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have never bled any brakes! There are lots of us out there.

Duggan

I’d rather not go into why they need bleeding as frankly it’s a bit embarrassing but they 100% definitely need bleeding now. That’s the one thing I am actually sure of.

muddyfool

Lol.

My money’s on “What does this bolt do?” 🙂

Sorry, can’t offer any constructive advice!

nickdavies

Epic bleed solutions kit.

Bleed Kit for Shimano Brakes & Mineral Oil

It’s a bit cheaper on eBay if you don’t make the free delivery. It took me about 15 minutes to shorten and bleed both brakes the other day. I think their kit is better than the oem shimano funnel one as you can push fluid from each end in one bleed (easier with 2 of you) If you need to refill completely CRC do the big bottles of mineral oil cheap.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5620

mattjg
    Free Member

The thing is if I google ‘Shimano bleed kit’ then I get two results:

‘shimano bleed kit and oil’ (’50ml bottle of mineral oil, length of bleed pipe’)

‘Shimano Bleed Kit M575’ (this is the plastic yellow funnel thing with the stopper and nothing else)

You actually need both unless you have a syringe or something to screw into the reservoir at the bars.

The “bleed kit and oil” gives you the oil and a bit of pipe, that’ll do for attaching to the calliper but you need something the other end like the funnel, or a syringe with a screw thread on it, to catch the oil.

The EPIC kit does the job too.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Duggan – firstly we need to know the year and model of your brakes.

Shimano changed from a generic bleed system to a shimano specific funnel system around 2 years back. Folks will recommend a particular system for you, but until we know the year and model its all guesswork.

Duggan

They’re Shimano M575- it’s definitely the funnel system I need to use according to the epic bleed website.

Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful as usual. I’ve bought the epic bleed kit so will see how I go.

I should get it by Saturday though I’m at Chester Races on Friday night so will be doing it with an epic hangover. There’s definitely almost no chance at all that this will be successful.

Either way, I’ll post results.

trailzilla
    Free Member

I gathered all the various bits and just had a go with some new deore brakes on my commuter hack. The kit from Epic Bleed Solutions has some good instructions, but i did also buy the shimano bleed funnel thing which was very useful.

I’ve got to do the same again on some XT brakes for my soon-to-arrive Canyon (to replace the elixirs it comes with).

I did manage to get everything covered in mineral oil though, but holding your pads with pliers over a gas hob ring will burn the oil out and get them working again (And next time I will remove them first!).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What do I need to Bleed my Shimano Brakes?’ is closed to new replies.