Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What do I have to pay to get a PIR sensor that works?
  • onewheelgood

I have fitted a succession of PIR Floodlights over the past few years, mostly bought from various online suppliers. Most times the first unit has been DOA and I’ve sent it back and got one that works – temporarily. Sometimes they outlast the alleged warranty period, sometimes they don’t. The failure is always the same – the PIR fails and the light stays stuck on. Last time this annoyed a neighbour so much that they came and ripped the wires out.

So, is it possible to buy one that works and stays working? Or do I just give up and consider them a consumable item?

Innes
    Free Member

What about a separate PIR and flood light?

You can pick up good LED floods now, and fit a decent PIR.

I fitted some Timeguard brand ones from my wholesaler recently on customer’s lights and they seem to be working well.

onewheelgood

Thanks Innes, my last two have been LED. But there’s not much point in a lamp that saves lots of electricity and will last for 50000 hours if the PIR only lasts 6 months. So the separate PIR sounds like a good call.

But how do I know what a ‘good PIR’ is? I’ll take a look at Timeguard, any other recommendations?

whyme
    Free Member

Separate PIR is the way to go, just make sure the PIR can switch the load that is connected to it (and some extra). Also don’t set the on time too short. Time guard is ok.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What do I have to pay to get a PIR sensor that works?’ is closed to new replies.