Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What do Energy gels do for you??!!
  • bones76
    Free Member

Is it only me or do Energy gels wire the brain for hours and i mean hours after you have taken them? In fact with me they really effect my nights sleep, so much so that i fell asleep around 10pm last night but woke at various times throughout the night and then finally gave up and got up just before 5am and here i am still wide awake!

Now i done quite a long tough ride yesterday in prep for this weeks 3 Peaks event and knew i was going to be out riding for a good few hours so took enough supplies, i.e Buttys, fruit cake, dates etc and on top of that i had 2 gels and consumed all i have just mentioned.

The gels are SIS and one was normal with no caffeine and the other contained something called L-carnitine

Am just wondering is it only me that suffers from lack of sleep after taking these Energy gels? or is it a mixture of adrenaline from the days ride mixed with the contents of these gels??!! It’s just a good job a don’t have work today!!

jekkyl

They make you realise why your wife/gf only does it once a year on your birthday!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I don’t take (? eat doesn’t seem to be the right description!) the caffeine ones but don’t have that problem, my total consumption for the weekend including “driving aids” was 8 SIS gels, 4 large bottles of SIS carb stuff, 4 cans of Redbull and 2 huge coffees. Slept like a baby!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rocketman
    Free Member

I carry one or two in the rucksack for when I *really* need them but I don’t make a habit of them. Generally find them very effective can almost set a timer by how long they take to kick in and then wear off.

Macavity
    Free Member

“What do Energy gels do for you??!!”

Make you thirsty?

weeksy

Stomach cramps and the squits.

andeh

I nearly shit my pants at the top of the final stage of the Eastridge Gravity Enduro, thanks to High5 gels. It was the first time I’ve used them, though I was eating normal, solid food as well (bananas/bars/flapjack).

I had no trouble sleeping. I find that sometimes, after a dead good, scare your self sort of ride, I struggle to get to sleep, even though my body will be buggered. Left over adrenaline?

FOG

A roadie of my acquaintance is a great fan but he puts them in his water bottle and dilutes it with water using more gel to water the further he intends going. Tried this for the first time at the weekend and it made the gel much more palatable, just like a slightly naff juice instead of what jekkyl said

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member

They make you realise why your wife/gf only does it once a year on your birthday!

LOL

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Generally find them very effective can almost set a timer by how long they take to kick in and then wear off.

+1 It’s a weird sensation.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Doubt its the gels, adrenaline more likely or over training. Have used gels in training and racing a lot this year, never feel wired from them, just focused (mentally) and more energy. Don’t notice it after the race.

Northwind

It’ll be adrenaline, the amount of caffeine in the caffeinated ones is not that much at all, and the amount of sugar is no more than a sticky bun or similiar.

I quite like them for the quick hit, when you’re flagging it can be a big psychological boost as well as physical. But you can’t live on them, no substitute for real food and a properly filled tank.

splashdown
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    Stomach cramps and the squits.

plus 1…

bones76
    Free Member

Over training?? I have picked my training up quite a bit of late and never thought of that as an answer!

Surly you would have thought getting home sorting the house, My son then making the tea would be enough to unwind after good days riding, perhaps it’s just my brain won’t switch off, one thing for sure though i will sleep well tonight!

atlaz
    Free Member

Depending on the brand:

1, A burst of energy that needs topping up at regular intervals
    2, Nothing at all
    3, Stomach cramps, nausea, the shits

One hydration supplement was so bad on my stomach that I rode home rather than getting a cab or the train because I was so worried about what might happen to their seats.

weeksy

When i did the SDW night ride, the Maxx Exposure i stopped 11 times in a 6 hour period…. it was horrific.

IanW
    Free Member

Theres been a few threads on here about overtraining and or riding late at night and the effects on sleep.

Certainly happens to me if I run/cycle late gives me real trouble sleeping, never had any problems with the gels(sis) though.

tomhoward

Loads of energy, followed by the shits that evening. Only use them when in dire need, prefer bars if I’m going to use an ‘energy’ product, as opposed to regular food.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I carry one or two in the rucksack for when I *really* need them but I don’t make a habit of them.

This.

I had a 5 hour+ ride in the snow last winter which was the first time I’ve felt I needed an energy boost, was impressed how quickly a summer fruits High5 kicked in.

legend
    Free Member

andeh – Member

I nearly shit my pants at the top of the final stage of the Eastridge Gravity Enduro, thanks to High5 gels. It was the first time I’ve used them

and that’s why you should always experiment with them before you use them at a race.

xiphon
    Free Member

LOL Reply of the year!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The Squits. Gels are for when I’m too tired to consume solids.

andeh

legend – Member

and that’s why you should always experiment with them before you use them at a race.

I know, if only Captain Hindsight were here. Never mind, I kept it together and managed to avoid any extra propulsion 😯

takisawa2

Does Lemnon Curd count…? 🙂

zerocool

Only really carry them for emergencies. I prefer to rely on real food. Although I absolutely love Cliff Shot Blocks, just like jelly but more practical to carry

soobalias
    Free Member

ive got one with the first aid kit in my camelbak – it will be dark times if i ever eat it.

8 SIS gels, 4 large bottles of SIS carb stuff, 4 cans of Redbull and 2 huge coffees

wow.

andypaul99
    Free Member

The original SIS gels (not with caffine) are good, with the right water mix. That said i only use gels for racing, wine gums and fruit pastles are just as effective for a tempo ride

legend
    Free Member

soobalias, it’s worth pointing out that the scote you’re quoting was 24th bike home at the Tour on Saturday. Then, drove home to England (the north west bit) via Edinburgh.

My guts would’ve been rotten too after that though 😯

mogrim

I quite like them for the quick hit, when you’re flagging it can be a big psychological boost as well as physical. But you can’t live on them, no substitute for real food and a properly filled tank.

This.

OP: I’d put my money on overtraining or adrenaline, not the gel.

8 SIS gels, 4 large bottles of SIS carb stuff, 4 cans of Redbull and 2 huge coffees

I took a similar amount of gel and sports drink running on Saturday, managed to avoid the Redbull although I had a couple of cokes to make up for it… Also had some paella at the 64km mark – it was a Spanish race after all 🙂

Incidentally, if you’re planning on taking a load of gels during a long endurance race, also plan to have a bit of salty normal food (a cheese n ham sandwich for example) at the midpoint, really sorts your guts out…

chief9000
    Free Member

Empty your pockets for no good reason.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Some days after a big ride I am so tired I get to a stage where I am lying in bed thinking “I’m tired, I’m definitely going to nod off now”, but sleep never comes. I think it’s because I’ve not gone to bed at the right time. Which should have been 30-60 minutes before my normal bedtime.

Did you feel like this? Like you were tired but couldn’t sleep, or were you feeling good and wide awake?

bones76
    Free Member

I did consider going to bed a little earlier last night but as a said it was around 10pm when i fell asleep and would have said that i felt tired but couldn’t sleep at first.

Am starting to think it’s the adrenaline like a few people have said and a just need to learn to somehow switch off but without the use of alcohol which these days is limited to very little due to training,work and having a 14 month Son who awakes usually before me though not today!

But next time i do a long ride or a tough event/race i will see if going to bed a little earlier helps, can’t do any harm…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What do Energy gels do for you??!!’ is closed to new replies.