Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What do cows' brains look like (posh food content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I ordered something that sounded like anglette of beef – a piece of meat from near the diaphragm apparently – as room service, over the phone. It came with a small white-ish thing in the middle of the plate, wrapped in what looks like some kind of noodle.

I ate a bit, wondering what it was – tasted sort of like fat but soft and melt in the mouth really. Curious, I investigated further, with the unpleasant thought that it might be brain. Well, in the middle of it there's a centre that seems to have some red streaks and some kind of slightly sinewy reddish streaks in it, which really made me think it was brain.

Now I'm normally not squeamish about this kind of thing (although I am fussy when it comes to salad vegetables) but I am finding myself having to MTFU a bit to finish the rest of the meal. Part of me also wants to eat the brain, but another part of me might barf if I do.

skidartist
    Free Member

I'm not sure you'd be able to buy or serve brain/central nervous system since the whole BSE thing.

What you've probably got, anatomically speaking is either:

A- Shatners Bassoon
    B- The Islets of Langerhans
    C- Fart Strings

scaredypants

shatner's bassoon on a splendide of calf's fart-string – mmmmmmmm !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrNutt
    Free Member

could be head cheese? hanger steak is mmmmhhhhmmm

corroded
    Free Member

I had calf brain in France once and it was a pinkish-grey with a texture as you describe. I was more put off by the presentation – inside a pastry box with a lid you lifted. So, possibly brain, especially if you ordered it in France etc.

pault41
    Free Member

Sounds like brain .

BSE means nowt in france ther all mad as hatters any way.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Sweetbread?

Actually – if it came with a steak, it's probably just bone marrow.

molgrips
    Free Member

It was round and brain-like.

And it's a French chef in the UK, serving a lot of quite French things.

Structured a bit like a cauliflower head only very small. I am now completely convinced it was brain. Possibly veal brain.

MrNutt
    Free Member

monkey brain? mmmmmm

thebunk

Cool! Was it nice? Always regret not ordering Pigs face in Edinburgh when I had the option – it was about thirty quid mind.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Was it tripe? Got a feeling that angoulette is french for tripe, mistake made in france a couple of years ago when we bought some big chunky whitish sausages that didn't BBQ well, quick look in the dictionary revealed our mistake.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Pig cheek is without a doubt one of the best cuts available!

nickc

andioullette is a tripe sausage, comes as described by OP. Smells a bit*, has intestines of pig and rough cut pork and veal cuts, can be served hot or cold.

*depends on the sausage, some are not for the easily squeamish (smell of shit)

lipseal
    Free Member

I wouldn't have cows brain as that's the bit the bolt goes through when they slaughter them nor would I eat cows cock and balls! :mrgreen:

derek_starship
    Free Member

Bon appetit.

R979
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol@ derek!

It's onglet – I looked it up – aka skirt of beef or hangar steak.

odannyboy
    Free Member

i thought brain was illegal in the uk?
    i did nearly have it in a swanky restaurant in oz.
    thing is it was so expensive i went for the safe option of a steak.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

"skirt of beef or hangar steak"

That's gotta be a euphamism!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What do cows' brains look like (posh food content)’ is closed to new replies.