Viewing 10 posts - 161 through 170 (of 170 total)
  • What do ‘Business Analysts’ do?
  • ajaj
    Free Member

I thought you might be interested in a conversation I had with one of our BAs yesterday:

Me: Hello, I’ve been talking to Colin…
    BA: You shouldn’t talk to Colin. He’s not technical, you should ask me technical questions .
    Me: Normally I’d ask the Technical Lead technical questions.
    BA: No, you should ask me
    Me: OK. Anyway Colin says…
    BA: Colin doesn’t speak for the business.
    Me: He is the Director of Strategy
    BA: I’m the senior BA, I represent the business, I’m responsible.
    Me: OK. The Board passed resolutions in April and September saying we are doing X.
    BA: We don’t have budget
    Me: But didn’t the Board allocate budget in April?
    BA: Well that’s above my level.
    Me: but didn’t you just say you are responsible?

bearnecessities

To be fair, anyone that actually says the “senior” in their job title is a raving nob-trumpet more than anything.

hooli

anyone that actually says the “senior” in their job title

In our place it means you have been around a while but not yet ready for the next level. Like when kids count themselves as 4 and a half 😉

IHN

To be fair, anyone that actually says the “senior” in their job title is a raving nob-trumpet more than anything.

This.

At a certain woods-proximal building society in Swindon, they used to have junior BAs, BAs, senior BAs, lead BAs and principal BAs, and by God they’d make sure they told you which one they were.

DT78
    Free Member

another reason for those job titles is because the head of the area has to play the game with HR to be able to pay decent salaries to attract and retain.

otherwise some external firm will bench mark your generic BA job title to £36k and you would not be able to hire anyone.

(past experience of introducing role title ‘pre-fixes’ to get round said silly HR salary benchmarking and pay closer to market rates)

kcr
    Free Member

Of course, any BA worth their day rate will already have reimagined themselves as a full stack (obvs) Product Manager.

Eh? There have been some strange views in this thread of what Businesses Analysis is, but that’s particularly left field.

footflaps

Senior BA, who cares what they think? They just make the tea for Principal BAs. I’d want to speak to at least a Senior Vice President if I wanted to know what’s going on…

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

At a certain woods-proximal building society

… you can mostly tell which of us has done/is doing time there from their posts on this thread 🙂

Some companies are perfecting an awful lot of terribly bad practice at huge expense as they struggle to keep up.

BigJohn

I used to say to people considering a major project:

“A) Establish where you are, B) decide where you want to be, C) work out how to get there.

The hardest bit is establishing where you are.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Huh well I just gave my missus a brief summary of this thread and she thinks that’s what she should be doing. She’s more STW than I am…

Viewing 10 posts - 161 through 170 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘What do ‘Business Analysts’ do?’ is closed to new replies.