Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)
  • What do ‘Business Analysts’ do?
  • tjagain

All trades have their opaque gobbledegook including mine. My favourite from nursing still remains. “an ontological hermanutic approach” Eventually after reading the piece of research and after spending some time with the dictionary I grasped that this means – ” a storytelling look at”

oldtennisshoes

None of those phrases mean anything to me and I cannot even tease out the meanings.

It’s a bit like when you and Drac and Dr P talk about medical hurty things.

Edit – 10 mins too late

Edit 2 – Onto the second page, and no-one’s had a pop at the UXers (a branch of Business Analysis).

IHN

One key thing surely should be the ability to explain things in english that normal folk can understand

Indeed. And in words of single syllables for developers to understand 🙂

tjagain

and in pictures for graphic designers to understand?

molgrips
    Free Member

Do all these Business Analysts and ‘Developers’ exist in say, Germany?

Why is ‘developers’ in quotes there? It’s not some fake silly job role, developers are the people who actually write the code so about as down-to-earth as you can get. And yes they have them in Germany and in any country where they write code. German for ‘developer’ is ‘entwickler’.

I promise these roles are not nonsense, they are important, and if you do it wrong it buggers up the entire project. The shitty IT projects and ‘new software’s you’ve come across are bad because the analysis is not done properly. It’s rarely the developers’ fault.

DavidB
    Free Member

Many are highly skilled in the art of sales prevention.

DavidB
    Free Member

It’s rarely the developers’ fault.

It’s usually everyone’s fault.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Business analysts pick the grapes.

UX designers make the wine.

🙂

Northwind

Our business analyst has a mug that says “Business Analysts: Solving problems you didn’t know you had, in ways that you don’t want” He didn’t choose the thug life though.

binners

null

IHN

I see Homer’s not happy with Binner’s work.

UX designers pick the grapes.
    UI designers make the wine.

FTFY

beej

Everyone in IT’s a bloody architect these days

I’m a Technology Strategist!

Please don’t ask me to explain what it is though.

I used to be a Business Analyst though. Career went IT Support, Developer, BA, IT Architect, Technical Lead, manager of people, manager of more people, Innovation Lead, Head of Innovation… Technology Strategist.

Most of the roles I’ve really liked come down to “talking to people about what they’d like to achieve, then getting others to help them do it”.

DT78
    Free Member

“experience of the domain the change is needed in so can help with influencing sensible type requirements

Shall I help with plainer English?

In your context….working on a project that is delivering something to a bunch of nurses. The BA probably was, or knows very very well nursing (the domain) where the project is going to be uised (change)

influencing sensible requirements means someone who has a scooby about how things work in the real world (of nursing in my example) helping to design the new thing so it has some actual chance of being used by the people (the nurses) it is being supposed made for and does what it is supposed to (meets the objective).

Don’t think that was really much BizTalk gobbledegook was it?

IHN

Being condescending is another key skill 😉

DT78
    Free Member

I’m not a BA I’m a part time EA 🙂

(I had a couple of years stint of managing a BA team amongst others…)

IHN

UXers (a branch of Business Analysis).

Can’t believe I’ve just seen this. I know a number of UX’rs who would be very offended by this. Quite a few BAs too 🙂

slowoldman

Clearly, you’ve never had a conversation with an architect 😉

I once endured an exasperating spell as structural engineer on an NHS project. Meetings were of course run by the architects who had some bizarre ideas. It culminated in me saying something along the lines “no you can’t have x, y and z because the bloody thing won’t stand up”. It earned me a kick under the table from my gaffer.

Still the catering at the meetings was first class and I’m pleased to say the hospital is still standing 30 odd years on.

gecko76

No one posted this yet?

Cougar

Good BA vs Bad BA:

Customer – I want a boat

Bad BA – What kind of boat?

Good BA – Why?

When you put it like that, I think perhaps this could be a role I was born to do. I’ve been doing exactly this most of my working life, I never realised it was a ‘thing’ with an actual title and everything.

IHN

When you put it like that, I think perhaps this could be a role I was born to do. I’ve been doing exactly this most of my working life, I never realised it was a ‘thing’ with an actual title and everything.

I think you might be confusing ‘Good BA’ with ‘Belligerent Techie’ 😉

Twodogs

of all the stuff said on here, this is the phrase that I don’t understand

We are a large enterprise organisation.

a large organisation that does “enterprise” (whatever that is)?
    an organisation that does large enterprises (whatever they are)?

kcr
    Free Member

No one posted this yet?

No, probably because it’s poking fun at management consultancy.
    With a good BA helping you, you wouldn’t have made that mistake.

molgrips
    Free Member

I never realised it was a ‘thing’ with an actual title and everything.

Apply for some jobs then. In my experience, BAs come from a pretty diverse range of backgrounds, and if you can prove you’re good at identifying the root causes of problems and understanding how things work then you’d walk in I reckon. People are (or should be) desperate for competent BAs that can sort stuff out.

tjagain

dt 78. actually that is a good plain english explanation and I do not find it condescending

Plain english is one thing I think really important and find gobbeldegook is often used to hide meanings and to cover up lack of knowledge.

I did once send an incomprehensible buzz word filled email back to sender with a request for a plain english. Plain english is the key to understanding and effective communication

chakaping
    Free Member

A good BA, pictured yesterday…
    null

bikebouy
    Free Member

Where’s his maracas ?

chakaping
    Free Member

He don’t need no maracas fool!

Cougar

I think you might be confusing ‘Good BA’ with ‘Belligerent Techie’ 😉

Yeah, you well may be onto something there. (-:

In my experience, BAs come from a pretty diverse range of backgrounds, and if you can prove you’re good at identifying the root causes of problems and understanding how things work then you’d walk in I reckon.

One of my favourite previous roles I’ve had was basically the techie equivalent of Red Adair. We’d have escalation cases where some obscure problem had occurred, no-one knew how to fix it or even whose team was responsible for it (eg, a voicemail server – the voice guys go “it’s a server” and the server guys go “it’s voicemail”), it’d get passed from pillar to post for a fortnight with a dozen different people poking impotently at it until finally the customer exploded, at which point they’d drop me into the middle of it to sort it all out.

I’d work out what the problem was, come up with a solution, identify who should be dealing with it and then (the best part) half the time I could kick it back to them to sort out rather than having to do the mundane bit myself. I absolutely loved it and (#WhatModesty) was bloody good at it.

Food for thought if I ever get sacked. Hmm.

matt_outandabout

They are the unicorn.

null

MrPottatoHead

And in words of single syllables for developers to understand

Who are these developers of which you speak? Everyone is an Engineer now.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

UXers (a branch of Business Analysis).

This is becoming one of my favourite threads.

Can’t believe I’ve just seen this. I know a number of UX’rs who would be very offended by this. Quite a few BAs too

Yes I have been offended by quite a few BAs too 🙂

brownsauce
    Free Member

In actual real world practical terms , the role of a business analyst could be compared to that of the string quartet playing on the deck of the Titanic as it plunges to the bottom of the Atlantic…

😀

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

You know, if you did a Geography degree or something, and still don’t really know what you want to be, but know you don’t want to be a teacher? 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m a Technology Strategist!

Please don’t ask me to explain what it is though.

Doss about on the internet.
    Chuck random moon on a stick type ideas at management.
    Cackle at large salary and managerial acceptance of ideas as future projects.

None of those phrases mean anything to me and I cannot even tease out the meanings.

You don’t know about the three sea shells?

tjagain

So if ” people who can, do; those who cannot, teach” where do business analysts fit in?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

UX designers pick the grapes.
    UI designers make the wine.

FTFY

UI designers impersonate UXers to get a higher day rate, giving everyone a bad name in the process.

F *T* FY

IHN

Everyone is an Engineer now.

This is true.

jbproductions
    Free Member

One of my favourite previous roles I’ve had was basically the techie equivalent of Red Adair. We’d have escalation cases where some obscure problem had occurred, no-one knew how to fix it or even whose team was responsible for it (eg, a voicemail server – the voice guys go “it’s a server” and the server guys go “it’s voicemail”), it’d get passed from pillar to post for a fortnight with a dozen different people poking impotently at it until finally the customer exploded, at which point they’d drop me into the middle of it to sort it all out.

I’d work out what the problem was, come up with a solution, identify who should be dealing with it and then (the best part) half the time I could kick it back to them to sort out rather than having to do the mundane bit myself. I absolutely loved it and (#WhatModesty) was bloody good at it.

That’s an ‘Incident Manager’ then… a good one can be worth his weight in gold when things get stuck.

footflaps

So if ” people who can, do; those who cannot, teach” where do business analysts fit in?

How about…

People who can do,
    those who can’t teach,
    those who can’t teach, teach PE
    those who can’t teach PE, become BAs

5lab

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘What do ‘Business Analysts’ do?’ is closed to new replies.