Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • What distance do you normally ride?
  • thegeneralist

Much shorter than I used to. In the past I reckoned 30km+ and/or 1000m was a medium ride, 60km+ or 1600m was a long ride and 100km and/or 2400m + was a proper long ride.

These days I’m a mess and at the weekend we finished at 2:30 pm and 3:30pm which is unprecedented. ( having done only 1100m and 1300m of ascent)

ajantom

My rides this year so far average out at 43.7km with 865m of climbing per ride.

qwerty
    Free Member

20 – 30 miles with around 100′ per mile, so 25 miles & 2500′ is usual on the MTB.

Managed an exceptional 5300′ in 23 miles on the road on Saturday without hill repeats, record for me is 7500′ in 30 miles, all starting and finishing from the doorstep.

thegeneralist

Managed an exceptional 5300′ in 23 miles on the road on Saturday without hill repeats, record for me is 7500′ in 30 miles, all starting and finishing from the doorstep.

You lucky thing 🙂

I’ve done a few big mtb rides from home, like Jacobs Ladder, Buxton or Roaches, but given that I live in Altrincham they are of necessity over a hundred km 🙁

I wish I lived somewhere less shit.

crosshair
    Free Member

26 miles, if I divide my annual mileage to date by my number of rides so far this year 😀

reeksy

Managed an exceptional 5300′ in 23 miles on the road on Saturday

That’s impressive!
    Best I can do is a 1000m climb in 20km on and off-road from the door. It’s another 500m climb on the way back down too.

MoreCashThanDash

MTB – 10-15 miles, but rarely
    Gravel – 10-40 miles
    Road – 12-60 miles, at least one century ride a year

soundninjauk

Two young children at home so fewer all day rides these days.

Road, weekend, 2 hrs – 50km, 500-600 metres climbing

Gravel, weekend, 2 hrs – 35-40km, 300-400 metres climbing

Gravel, midweek, 1 dark muddy hour – 15km, 160 metres climbing

didnthurt

Time is my governor more than distance.

Most rides are local and only an hour or two. Depending on what bike I’m riding my distance can be from 15km to 40km.

If I’m allowed out for a full day then it’s either 100km XC/gravel or 1000m+ ascent/descent enduro type trails riding.

If I put my mind to it and plan a little, then I have managed the odd 100 miler off road. These are hard going but the most rewarding.

didnthurt

According to Strava I’ve done 150 rides this year so far at an average of 26km in length and 330m of ascent per ride. Just over 12.5m of ascent per km.

Total distance cycled this is is 3,908km.

Not bad I reckon, especially considering that 750km of that is indoors on the rollers.

el_boufador

As above time rathe than distance is usually the limiting factor.
    Distance varies a lot by terrain and type of bike I’m on.
    Tend not to bother riding (other than commuting) if it’s less than 1 HR 20 mins / 25ish km because the faffing isn’t worth it.

Usually on local MTB rides it’s somewhere around 35km-50km / 700m-1100m climbing, in 2.5-4.5 hrs ish.

Hardest off road ride for me this year was all day about 80km 1500m climbing.

I do a lot of shorter hilly rides too. Did 30km/1500m this last weekend for example. 20km/1700m not that unusual.

mahalo

10 miles on average. Prefer to do laps close to home than stray too far. Nowt worse than realising you are miles from home when bonked!

LAT

at the moment i live on a 900 meter high hill. a 1 hour ride is about 10km with 500 meters of descending (and climbing, as i like a loop).

my 2 hour ride is 750 meters of descending and about 15k.

i don’t rush up the hills

LAT

👍

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Like a lot of others posting it’s time rather than miles for me. From spring to Autumn I normally get in 3 or 4 2hr rides midweek and on a weekend I get one big ride in, minimum of 5hrs, sometimes up to 8. In winter I’ll still do the hours but some of the midweek rides will be on zwift. Depending on the amount of climbing the distance can vary between 250-320miles per week. (All on the road or TT bike)

rickmeister

I’m electric assisted
    Weekend: 40 – 60 k and 1200 – 1700hm 15% support
    Wednesday group ride for 2 hrs or so 30ish k and 600 – 1000hm 45% support

One day max 85k and 1700m with 10% battery remaining.

Mounty_73

Most of my rides (gravel bike) are based on time, so my rides are usually at least 2 hours and upto 30 miles, anything less isn’t worth it for me.

Weekends, sometimes with extra time I can ride 3 or 4 hours, 40+ miles. This year I have just set up a turbo trainer in the spare room to try and squeeze in some extra miles, not sure how that will pan out…

rudedog
    Free Member

15-20 miles off road.

nbt

Most rides are local lunchtime loops on the road tandem, 17.6km with 386m climbing at 15kph average.

Weekends, if we’re on the road tandem we will be out for 30km – 60km depending on how good we’re feeling, with climbing at a similar ratio to lunchtime loops. On MTBs, it’ll be 25km – 40km or there abouts

docrobster

I’m also time limited. Nearly 100% mtb.
    strava says 53 rides this year, so a bit more than once a week

average ride according to strava stats is10.5 miles/17km distance. 1500 feet/450m elevation nearly always local loops from the door in sunny Sheff

Quite slow… average 1h40 per ride, 6.25 mph

chestrockwell

Depends what I’m riding but 20-50km is about my range. Full suss shorter, gravel longer.

Young family and other commitments prevent having more time available.

stevextc
    Free Member

@reluctantwrinkly

I couldn’t actually tell you but if I could it would be meaningless.

Given your username though I would share my take and why its meaningless.

What I found is over 50 my fitness drops much quicker and is much harder to get back and for me at least regular riding is more important than distances or amount climbed. I’d try and do 10km rather than nothing even if its just to/from the pub.

If I cycle to the trails its 50km+ round trip though with only 1 proper hill and mainly flat…. closest pub without having to go on a road is only 4-5km round trip vs my “local” which is 50km (round trip) by bike avoiding roads (shorter by road) next to the trails so I’ll then do a few extra km on the trails even if I’m just going for a “quick drink”.
    Sometimes I set off to the closer pub and take a left instead of right and end up at the other.

So its that variable, I try and ride 4-5 times a week even if a couple are just to the nearest pub (plus or minus a detour) … sometimes I’ll do 2 rides in a day especially if there is a group ride I’ll try and get a few km in first as I often end up driving to/from group rides.

I guess the point is at my age I feel a 5-6km ride and a couple of beers is better than nothing…

mccraque

Depends on the weather. Group rides in winter seem to be limited to 15-20 miles. In summer we’ll double that. Or occasionally hit a 100 miler (although they are few and far between and have been injured this year)

on Zwift, an hour, tasting blood, before I get bored/am sick.

birky
    Free Member

mtb 10-50 miles – usually around 20
    road 30-100 miles – usually around 50
    longer mtb rides often include some roads
    0 commuting (wfh) or ‘utilty’ miles
    solo 95% of the time

faustus
    Free Member

Two young kids under 5 so depends what time I have spare. Distance and speed is based on where I fancy going (95% from the door) and on what bike mtb/gravel. Climbing is whatever it ends up being based on the above. I honestly don’t care about much else other than getting out, enjoying the ride and scenery. I’ll still get a good workout and go fast when I feel like it, but it’s purely when I fancy. All-in it keeps me fit-ish for the limited time I have to look after my own needs!

cookeaa

Typically I ride maybe 2-3hrs which can be anything from 20 miles up to 50ish depending on what the mix of Road/Offroad is, if I know I’m going to be out for more than 2.5hrs I have to take more food/find some food otherwise bonk WILL kick in and I’d be useless after 3hrs. If I’m going for longer it’s more of an expedition. Most of my preferred local loops take me over 2hrs by default, It’s actually quite tricky to do just a 1hr ride for me other than maybe commuting…

I have to admit during winter it now tends to be more (mudguards)Road and Gravel bike just because I don’t want to destroy my MTB unnecessarily, Summer I’ll do more MTB riding, but winter night rides do work better on an MTB (IMO).

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

@stevextc, I understand what you are saying, these days if I have a break of longer than a week or 10 days it is harder to get fitness back and need a couple of rides to get back up to speed. It’s not changed dramatically as I have got older but it’s definitely a thing. I’m 66 so to be expected really I suppose.

stevextc
    Free Member

reluctantwrinkly

I understand what you are saying, these days if I have a break of longer than a week or 10 days it is harder to get fitness back and need a couple of rides to get back up to speed. It’s not changed dramatically as I have got older but it’s definitely a thing. I’m 66 so to be expected really I suppose.

I felt 50 was more of a step change than say 40…. but yep a week/10 days and I almost feel like I never rode before.
    (OK obviously not REALLY never but certainly 2 weeks and I’m feeling really bad really quickly)

What I do FEEL I noticed though is even a couple of 5-10km rides stop the slip being so dramatic so I’ll tend to do something even if I can’t fit in a more proper ride.

Obviously huge YMMV etc. and it may just be psychological but I’m not sure I care if it is or not.

reeksy

What I do FEEL I noticed though is even a couple of 5-10km rides stop the slip being so dramatic

I had a football coach at uni that drummed into us that in holidays we should be maintaining at least 3 x 30 minute runs a week in order to maintain fitness. Because maintaining is easier that trying to regain. It’s stuck with me. I don’t think i’ve done less exercise than that in decades as a result.

rsl1
    Free Member

My local mtb loop is 20km/500m, maybe once every 2 weeks (I can just about get it done and showered in a 2 hour lunch break). Occasionally I throw in extensions of that if I’m riding on the weekend, and even less I head into the peak proper. Otherwise I just ride my bike in lieu of using a car as much as possible. As a benchmark, that adds up to churning out Ard rock loop with no problem, but not having much in the tank to attack the stages. I’d probably go further if I knew riders locally

hardtailonly

I usually ride 3-5 times per week, usually 1-2.5 hours. A couple of times a month I might get in a 3-4 hour ride.

So, locally, 2 hours equates to 25-35km MTB (depending on balance of XC/tech), or 40-45km gravel. Rarely do a road ride.

stevextc
    Free Member

reeksy

I had a football coach at uni that drummed into us that in holidays we should be maintaining at least 3 x 30 minute runs a week in order to maintain fitness. Because maintaining is easier that trying to regain. It’s stuck with me. I don’t think i’ve done less exercise than that in decades as a result.

I can’t fault the logic…. it’s just my experience has been the slip happens much faster and the regaining takes much longer above 50.
    (It’s worth saying I have other health issues that get worse when I don’t ride though)

I’m pretty strict though in that nowadays (last 5 yrs) I do zero “exercise”… that is I ride my bike and I do my physio/rehab when needed but I avoid thinking of it as “exercise” and make sure I combine it with things that are proof to me it isn’t.

It’s purely psychological but I find/feel I go further and faster and more often if I view it a nice ride and nice views and chuck in a few challenges than if I set off with the idea it’s “exercise” but most importantly I guess is I enjoy it far more.

I’m big on subjective now vs measurements … rather than time a climb I’m happy to feel it was faster or easier than last time.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@qwerty where was the lumpy road ride? I love an AAA route and like to find out where others ride.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

My local XC loop is 21km 550m elevation 1hr20 1hr40 depending, If I have more time/daylight I’ll ride it twice (same hill different climb and descent) or do a road loop of 60-70km

qwerty
    Free Member

@shedbrewed straight out the door for me in the Golden Valley, Brimscombe, Stroud, Glos. mainly back lanes covered in leaves, grime, rocks and off camber. Tricky traction wise up and techy down on 32c slicks.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Thanks. I do bits out that way but normally the flatter parts. I’ll peruse rwgps and the os maps.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.