Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • What distance do you normally ride?
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

What would you say your normal average ride distance is? I usually ride around 25-30 miles around our local flattish trails or local roads and usually find that is enough to make me feel like I’ve had a good ride at the end if I do it at reasonable pace (for me). If in more hilly terrain I can still do a good ride but perhaps keep the off-road distance to nearer 20 miles for a good workout. I have always found this to be my sort of distance and find to ride further I have to throttle back quite a lot. I have never done any particular training so assume this is my natural ability. These are on my solo rides, if I ride with a group then distances usually increase due to cadging a tow here and there! How do you all fare on your rides?

weeksy

Indoors 150km
    Outdoors 15-50km

tthew

25 to 30 miles is probably typical for an off-road ride, a little bit shorter anywhere particularly hilly. You could probably double that for a road ride, but those are vanishingly rare these days.

ads678

Local routes range from 10 to 40kms, depends how much time I have and what the weather is like.

Big days out with mates. Could be anything…

jam-bo

normally based on time, anywhere from 1hr to 3hrs. its rare I ride more than 3 hrs.

nickc

It depends, on the flatish XC riding from my doorstep, anything from 30-80km depending on how bored I am/great the need to avoid doing the chores is. On a proper MTB ride* then I aim for 30km and 1000m of climbing. Whether I met or exceed that entirely depends on “things”

*Peaks, Calderdale, North wales, Lakes. that sort of riding. For Chilterns/North Downs sort of stuff then we’re back to distance

5lab

mid week is normally a 2 hour dash, so 15 miles off-road, 30+ onroad.

weekend might be double that?

Yak

Probably 1.5 to 2hrs. Distance? Probably not much. No idea really. Somewhere between 6-12 miles I think.
    I tend to ride to somewhere, then session trails. So there’s a bit of pushing back up or repeating bits. No real continuous pedalling.

scotroutes

My average is 41.56km.

That’s from VeloViewer. 1,516 rides / 62,927km

It drops to 38.86km if I include turbo trainer use.

alan1977
    Free Member

12-15 miles 2200-2500 feet ish
    no issue knocking out a 28-30 mile flat gravelly type ride although i dont feel tired after one of those, or particularly stimulated

Mister-P
    Free Member

My riding is pretty much all commuting on the road bike or local canal towpath stuff on the gravel bike. Both are around 20 miles. I bet my total miles on the mountain bike for the year aren’t much more than that.

martinhutch

Normally N-10, where N is the number of miles I mentally pictured myself doing when I set out.

colournoise

Quick local off road ride from the door would be 20-25km with 200-250m climbing.
    Longer local would be 35-40km with 350-450m climbing.

Local road ride (rare) would be 50-75km with around 300-400m climbing I guess

(it’s quite flat round these parts)

If I drive to ride then I like to make it a bit more worthwhile. Ideally at least as long riding as driving so tends to be 35km+ and 800m+

footflaps

Mainly road, 100 km and around 900m climbing…

towzer

Ebike, Oxfordshire alps, map based xc, summer 15-45 miles, winter 15-30 miles

benman
    Free Member

This time of year weekend road rides are 60-70 miles with 1000-1500m climbing (live on the edge of the Peak)
    Midweek night rides are 20-25 miles

Currently averaging about 40 miles per year on the MTB…

Awaiting the willy waivers on this thread 😛

andy4d

As said above most limited by time. My most common one is 18km with 400m climbing (just over an hour to 90mins) at the nearby trail Centre. This is the route I do with my lads too and I can fit in easiest between school runs etc. I will do up to 40km/800m climbing if I have more time but as it takes me around 3hrs (plus the time to get there/load and unload car etc) I need a full day pass from my wife.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

This is all very interesting, I thought my efforts would be a bit below average but it seems a lot of you do a similar sort of distance so not so far off the mark. I have done longer rides but usually in a group and all-dayers which can be a bit more relaxed perhaps.

tonyd

MTB: 30km local loop is about all I do, that has about 500m climbing.
    Road: Anywhere from 30km upwards. Most frequent (once a week) is 70-100km, rarely go above 120km. Metric century once a year!

I’d love to do more climbing but on a 100km road ride from here you struggle to get over 1000-1500m of elevation. I have a friend in Herefordshire who can do 5000m over a 100km ride, and a friend in Amsterdam who averages about 25m climbing over a 100km ride – those canal bridges go pretty high!

I have retreated to the garage these last couple of days with the terrible weather. Through the winter I’d probably average an hour a day indoors.

weeksy
    Indoors 150km
    Outdoors 15-50km

Is that a single ride or over a week? I couldn’t think of anything worse than a 150km ride indoors.

halifaxpete

Average between 15-30 miles for me, weeknights tend to be shorter with a decent ride on a Sunday. Some big ‘ol hills locally though.. Hebden miles count for double as you can hit 4k’s worth of climbing within 15 miles on a techy ride!

si77

Typically 30-80km on the MTB. According to Garmin connect: average this year is 38.5km & 845m climbing.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Cambridge miles must count lower then as you would struggle to hit 1000ft of climbing if you took in all the hills in the county!

nickc

Hebden miles count for double as you can hit 4k’s worth of climbing within 15 miles on a techy ride!

I had a loop that was 9.5kms and 900m of climbing from my door when I lived in Heptonstall

dovebiker

Loch na Keal

Mishnish
    Living on an island means I’m somewhat limited in terms of route choices, but weather and my fitness have as much a bearing. I usually ride for 2-3 hours off-road, with distances up to about 50km – last weekend I had to contend with 40mph headwinds which meant pedalling downhill at times. On road, it’s usually a choice of a 50, 80 or 160km loop although in summer I do venture over to Ardnamurchan where I can do a 60-80 km out and back or a 150km loop involving 2 ferry crossings.

singlespeedstu

I don’t really pay much attention to distance as I’m not a roady but I do make sure there’s at least 1000 meters of climbing.
    That can be clocked up in a pretty short ride round these parts.
    For big rides it’ll be 1500 meteres +.

ajantom

MTB averages about 45km.
    Gravel about 75km.
    Road 100-120km.

jamesoz

Indoors 150km

Wow!

jamesoz

Solo MTB 20-60km terrain/time dependant

Group MTB 10-20km faff/chat/weather/pub dependant.

Indoors 20-25km

Road I’ve done barely any since lockdown.

ton

between 10 and 50 miles depending how i feel. total about 120 miles most weeks.

scotroutes

I thought my efforts would be a bit below average but it seems a lot of you do a similar sort of distance so not so far off the mark

It’ll also depend whether or not folk are counting “utility” cycling in their averages – commuting, shops, pubs etc. Mine certainly do. Without those, my targeted bike ride average would be a bit higher, but not massively so.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Very roughly, 20km ish in the winter, 40km ish in the summer, with generally 325m elevation per 10km.

Varies with venue of course.

The above are for my natural local riding. For trail centres it varies more by venue. Ashton Court is circa. 27km with 400m ascent at a faster pace, Cwmcarn is almost the same distance with nigh on double the ascent.

jimmy748

Don’t really care about miles, it’s all about the elevation, try and do at least an 30,000ft per month. Currently on 2,900 miles and 339,000ft for the year, all mtb, a fair amount of tarmac climbing but all off road descending. (10,000ft of uplifts)

reeksy

I’ve got three main rides:
    – Commuting 70% off road 28km each way 1-2 x week
    – pre-work MTB 100% off road 18km 1-2 x week
    – weekend kids MTB 100% off road 10-20km Sunday.

Maybe 4-6 times a year I get a big ride in, either a local loop of 100km or so, or a trip with mates where we do a 60km mtb ride.

footflaps

Cambridge miles must count lower then as you would struggle to hit 1000ft of climbing if you took in all the hills in the county!

Live in the town centre and we normally manage 900m per 100km, when heading South…

Obvs if you head North into the fens, then 100m is good going, but you get battered to death by endless crosswinds…

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Yep, no respite in the fens, can’t even freewheel downhill! The other problem is when I do actually get to go downhill there is nearly always a walker on the same section to slow things down

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

All depends on the time of year. I don’t ride inside so do a lot of shorter training rides in the winter as I find it keeps the motivation to ride high and leaves me in good shape to enjoy the warmer months where I do more longer unstructured fun rides.

So far this year I’ve done 151 rides for a distance of 5018 km or an average of 33.23 km per ride.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I like to do 40K from home on the gravel bike with a mix of roads & bridleawys. If I go much further on the road I die…………..of boredom.

HobNob
    Free Member

I don’t actually pay much attention to distance, but it’s not a ride unless its 1000m of elevation on the leg bike, or 1500m on the ebike.

Using my totals for the year, it looks like about 28km on average. I only ride an MTB off-road.

gringo

My rides are usually between 1.5 and 3 hours once a week and between 18 and 27 miles.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve dug into this a bit more now my interest has been perked.

This year my average is 21km per ride, but that’s somewhat skewed by a long recovery from covid in June.

Turns out I average 400.2 m elevation per 10km over the year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.