Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What disc brake pads…
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Looking at replacing the pads in my Formula K18’s. Seems like there’s a whole range out there. I’m fairly sure that the pads that are in there are Clark’s sintered and they have been fine (I know, if you like them get the same ones). Where I cycle is a lot dryer and dusty / sandy whereas back in the UK it was wet muddy and horrible.

So should I look at same again, non-sintered or titanium/carbon snake oil impregnated uber pads?

unklehomered
    Free Member

SS Sintered for mine. They’re good for what I use the bike for. Possibly a little sharp, but that’s compensated for by the slightly soft bleed I have in them at the moment.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with SuperStar pads…IME

ThePinkster

Another vote for SuperStar sintered here.

I’ve used their organics in the past but have been lucky to get more that one ride out of them however the sintered pads seem to last for years.

nealy
    Free Member

Superstar or Uberbike pads, same price and appear to be identical. I only use sintered.

Northwind

I use Superstar too… Normally kevlar. Good quality, great value.

If you’re riding somewhere hot and dusty there shouldn’t be any need for the harder-wearing sintered pads, and they can have drawbacks with heat management, especially on long descents… Kevlar are a good balance. UK folks tend to destroy organics a bit quick but again, maybe will be fine for you.

unklehomered
    Free Member

^^ I do normally have some organics/kevlar somewhere in case. The last time I put them in I plunged the UK into the wettest 8 months on record and caused many parts of Calderdale to be flooded, many times.

Its selfish to use Organic pads without thinking of the consequences.

crush83
    Free Member

another for Superstar Kevlar. think they do a deal of 4 packs for circa £20~£22.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Sweet. Tried to order from the eBay store but for 2 pairs they wanted £4 postage per pair. I emailed them and was told to order off the website and got 4 pairs deliver to Oz for £25. Went for the kevlar ones. Thanks for the replies.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

They arrived today and fitted. Lucky as the front pads were virtually down to the plate! Just had a blast round the garden and they feel pretty darn good. Impressed and looking forward to riding in to work tomorrow.

slowjo
    Free Member

Funny, once upon a time you simply needed to think about using SS pads and you’d get flamed for weeks.

I bought several pairs of sintered pads nearly two years ago. I reckoned, if they lasted three months each then it was still a bargain. So, I fitted them and they are still working fine, having worn down to nearly half way. The question is whether the brakes will outlast all the pads I’ve bought!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What disc brake pads…’ is closed to new replies.