What digital radio?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What digital radio?
  • STATO

Hi All,

Im looking to buy a digital radio (now 6music has been saved) and wondering whats best to buy?

Ive looked at personal/portable ones and none seems to meet my needs so im a bit stuck. Its going to be mainly used for work (they dont mind me listening but dont want bandwidth used up) but id like to maybe take it home at weekends or take it camping or whatever, so nothing too big and obviously a headphone socket is priority over speaker (i have a seperate one i could plug in). If it can be mains powered too than thatd be ideal as battery life seems to be an issue from what ive seen (?).

Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Rich

thomthumb

roberts – i have 2 – they are both ace.

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/DAB_radios/Ecologic_2/index.htm

this one is brilliant and sounds like it'd do what you want.

the speaker is surprisingly good for one that small.

Premier Icon simon_g
    Subscriber

Something like a Pure One Mini would probably do fine. Small enough to be easily portable, headphone socket, etc – they're around the £40 mark. Add the chargepak (about £20) and it will just charge when plugged into the mains, unplug and it'll work for 20 hours.

I have a One Elite (bulkier but you get stereo speakers) for the kitchen and having the chargepak is ace – just take it to my desk if I'm working from home, or to the spare room if I'm working on bikes.

Creg

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/DAB_radios/solarDAB/index.htm

Ive got one of those. Gets a lot of use both in the house and in the garden. Fairly decent sound quality and the solar panel means it will run even when the battery is very low.

STATO

Cheers guys, ill have a look at those when i get home.

Rich.

Surf-Mat

Got three:

Pure One – small, cheapish, good
    Pure Evoke 2 – bigger, pricier, good sound quality

And one as part of my hifi set up.

Andy W

Pure Evoke Flow(with wifi for streaming music from the PC and internet radio) for home and the Pure Move for work
    Both fantasic and with can be used mains or the the ChargePAK and both can hook up to a mp3 player as well if you need that

Andy

TiRed

iPod touch with TuneIn Radio App mounted in a Klipsch dock. It has replaced our Roberts DAB in the kitchen unless the kids have managed to steal it again.

Roberts. Because I invented them.

I believe this one goes up to 11

CountZero

While I'd usually second TuneIn Radio, now that all the networks are capping downloads, that's no longer so attractive. Each three hour show, like LaLa's, uses about 100Mb. The limit is 500Mb/month…
    I've dug out my Pure PocketDAB which I bought about six/seven years ago. I used to use NiCd's, which were pants, but now I'm using 2700MAh NiMh's things are much improved. If the ChargePack was retrofittable I'd have that as well.

JulianA

This looks like the way to go. I want one! Pure are really good – we've got an Evoke 1S and a Mini and they are brill.

On a slightly different note, could this be a good in-car digital radio? I've looked at the Pure Highway and thought it would be good, but also a good way to get your car broken into if you forget to take it with you when you park the car…

STATO

Cheers guys, just ordered a Pure one mini, see how it goes.

prize for not paying attention at the back goes to djaustin – how exactly do you get digital radio from an iPod touch without a WiFi connection? 😆

CountZero – Thats the reason im buying this, current iPhone contract is due to get cut down to piddling amounts of data soon (it appears that O2 consider listening to the radio through an authorised app as 'overuse' of an Unlimited data contract) so im shifting provider and need to get my 6-fix sorted before i do.

Cheers,
    Rich

CountZero

Most of the networks are capping usage, those that aren't I'm not sure I'd want to use anyway. I'm perfectly happy with the PocketDAB, signal gets garbled sometimes, but I work in a building with lots of steel walls, and even with the improved antenna the iPhone 4 loses the signal and buffers fairly often. The one thing the DAB can't do that the phone can is pause the radio for thirty minutes. Still, so long as I get to listen to LaLa and Nemone I don't really care how I do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What digital radio?’ is closed to new replies.