Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What dh bike for 2013
  • commencalrider
    Free Member

Hi

Looking a buying a dh bike for 2013
    Would be doing a bit off racing and general riding
    What bike are worth looking at with a budget off 3000

Like the look of the demo or session

watsontony
    Free Member

crc have some cove frame for really good prices at the min.

i personally would not buy a brand new pre built dh bike.
    frame up is the only way to go 🙂

crush83
    Free Member

Have a look at the “knolly podium” not sure on price tho

edward2000
    Free Member

2008 Ironhorse Sunday. Best DH bike ever made.

kevin1911

Yt Tues limited edition. Beautiful and a bargain.

Edit: seems they’re sold out.

wheeleeneelee
    Free Member

I have a 2012 Session 88 for sale that’s within your budget.

carlphillips
    Free Member

NP scalp

legend
    Free Member

If you’ve found a couple you like, stick with them. There’s a load of excellent DH bikes around these days, narrowing it down is the big problem so you’re already on your way!

Find some to try for size (or a test ride if possible) and off you go

watsontony
    Free Member

ohh and for the dh guys looking at this thread that cove at the top has been stolen please keep a look out please

commencalrider
    Free Member

Thanks for the replays

Yt is out of stock
    Don’t like the chain line on the ghost

proutster
    Free Member

Mondraker Summum – here’s my 2012 model, that arrived the Tuesday before Xmas, before its first ride:

Apparently all 2013 models, even bottom of the range, now come with Fox 40’s

Northwind

Old Dues in short is still available and is a great deal.

TBH as nice as it is building your own, it’s hard to know what you want if it’s your first bike.

Rosss
    Free Member

Giant Glory? Just built one up to a really nice spec but it looks like it’ll be a bit small for me, could be up for sale soon if you’re interested?

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

Saracen myst. If you can find any left in stock anywhere they can be had for under £3000

andypandy85
    Free Member

Try bikeactive.com

They have a good range of bikes, usually have some clearance deals on, and I think they do 10% off for Facebook “friends” 🙂

100mphplus
    Free Member

Commencal DH V3 – fantastic DH bike.

Check out commencal direct as they are selling off 2012 bikes and also ex demo.
    http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=1598442
    http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=1598401

… and before someone starts the tired old wifes tales about cracked frames, I was told by the Commencal Marketing Manager that Nth America and UK have not had one single cracked frame warranty since launch.

andypandy85
    Free Member

100mphplus, I agree with you entirely when people whinge about frames cracking. Any frame will crack if you ride it like a bell end into a tree haha, Commencals are lush!

Back on the subject, I wouldn’t even buy new tbh. With 3 grand you could buy an immense 2nd hand DH rig. I know that’s what I’d do!

ianv
    Free Member

I would deffo go 2nd hand, loads of decent stuff on ride io atm. Including an m9 with 888 rc3ti if you are desperate to drop 3 grand 😯

raisinhat
    Free Member

With a budget of 3000 you’re not spoilt for choice, but there are some options. Check out the dirt 100, massive range of DH bikes in it this year.

Some suggestions would be:
    Specialized Demo I (£3000)
    YT Tues 2.0 (£2000)
    Modraker Summum (£3000)
    Specialized Status II (£2500)
    Scott Gambler 30 (£2500)

Some that are a bit above that budget would be a Trek session 88, a Morewood Makulu, or a Scott Gambler 20.

Secondhand would get a bunch more decent and hopefully well kept bikes in that price range, but obviously with all the caveats of second hand buying.

soobalias
    Free Member

not had one single cracked frame warranty since launch

the marketing guy said!

from the other side of the fence it could well be,

they have refused warranty on every crack they have seen since launch – doesnt sound like much of a warranty

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’d also buy second hand, 1500-1800 gets you a brilliant dh bike only a year or 2 old

proutster
    Free Member

theendisnigh
    I’d also buy second hand, 1500-1800 gets you a brilliant dh bike only a year or 2 old

Or if you’re as lucky as I was, the brand new, shop-display, never ridden, 2012 Summum pictured above 😆

JCL
    Free Member

… and before someone starts the tired old wifes tales about cracked frames, I was told by the Commencal Marketing Manager that Nth America and UK have not had one single cracked frame warranty since launch.

I would hope not. They weigh more than a small car.

If you’re under 5’10 get a Demo, If you’re over the Wilson seems to be the bike of the moment.

watsontony
    Free Member

is it just me or is this an absolute bargain?? just a touch under 3k

http://bikeactive.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9604499

_tom_
    Free Member

A push bike a touch under £3k is anything but a bargain imo.

chakaping
    Free Member

I opted for a mint condition IH Sunday off Pinkbike for under a grand.

Have a look on the classifieds over there if you haven’t already.

ianv
    Free Member

A budget of 1500-1800 and a bit of patience will get a really nice bike off pinkbike/rideio.

andypandy85
    Free Member

I know of a guy selling a Mondraker Summum with 888 RC3 Ti forks, wants £1800…

lucien

Thank you to 100mphplus for the Commencal link – I’m now 950 euros lighter and a proud owner of the 2008 supreme with marz front and rear bouncyness for a planned awesome 3 week trip to the Alps next year…..come on 2013!!

br
    Free Member

Saracen myst. If you can find any left in stock anywhere they can be had for under £3000

Try Alpine Bikes Innerleithen – they had an immac ex-demo in there recently.

eugeo81
    Free Member

I know of a 2012 status 2 going for 1400 or so. It’s only been used a handful of times and like new. The guy who owns it is a custom painter and has just been given a 2013 status from specialized as he does work for them so wants rid of the 2012 one. He has it in eBay but just contact him through there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-status-2-Medium-2012-Dh-Mountain-Bike-Downhill-/221168508362?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item337eab9dca

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

100mphplus – … and before someone starts the tired old wifes tales about cracked frames, I was told by the Commencal Marketing Manager that Nth America and UK have not had one single cracked frame warranty since launch.

£3600+ and they still only offer a 6 month warranty, so anything over that wouldn’t come under a warranty claim, which means your guy was probably telling the truth!!

Canyon FRX start at £1659 with 6 year warranty. Or what about a World Cup winning Devinci Wilson Carbon with lifetime warranty for £3250?

I’m looking for a downhill bike next year and won’t touch any manufacturers who show no faith in their own products!

Just my opinion 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What dh bike for 2013’ is closed to new replies.