Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • What defines a roadie?
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Why should 20 roadies be scared of a solitary mtb’er?

because your the idiot driving the car, badly?

mrmo
    Free Member

I’ve never encountered a group of 20 mountain-bikers rideing together on a road, so yes, they are in my experience different.

not much experience then i guess? Mind you big groups of mtbers expecting walkers and horses to get out of their way is far more common i will ceed.

duffmiver
    Free Member

don’t drive mate.

_tom_
    Free Member

Its a bit of an odd one for me. I ride my road bike every day but only short rides (max of 30 miles as I tend to get bored) so I wouldn’t call myself a roadie as its not the type of riding I enjoy most. I probably only ride my mtb/jump bikes a few times a month though. Dunno. I’m just someone who likes riding bikes I guess.

mrmo
    Free Member

don’t drive mate.

so all these roadies that you see in large groups…. Were they in front of you in the queue for the tea and cakes?

duffmiver
    Free Member

Were they in front of you in the queue for the tea and cakes?

Really? If that’s meant to be an insult, it’s shit!

Euro
    Free Member

I probably only ride my mtb/jump bikes a few times a month though. Dunno. I’m just someone who likes riding bikes I guess.

Me too also. I don’t even have a road bike. Had one when i was 13 or 14. Nothing special but the roadies would have a fit if they could see how it ended up. I’ve thrown slicks on the mtb if i was doing a bit on the road. You can still mess about without the bike breaking. I don’t think i could stick just cycling for more than a few minutes, so i guess my definition of a roadie is some who enjoys just cycling for a bit longer than that.

Basil

Sticky fingers

brooess
    Free Member

I only called roadies road-hogs, which they are when they form large clusters.

My club was formed in the late 30’s so we’ve been at it for far longer than you’ve been alive (and probably before even your parents and grandparents were born)… and far longer than cars have been in mass ownership, which began in the 1950’s.

It’s done for reasons of efficiency (and these days safety comes into it) as a tonne of metal tends to beat a few kg of flesh and bone into a pulp…

yunki
    Free Member

don’t criticise road riders on this forum..

road riders are in a huge majority here, and their slight bitterness which stems from not being very good at mountain biking gives them enough strength to defend their dangerous habit to the death.. 😉

nikk
    Free Member

Mmmmm. Bitter stems.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve thrown slicks on the mtb if i was doing a bit on the road. You can still mess about without the bike breaking.

Yeah but it feels crap, mtbs with slicks are nothing like a proper road bike.

mooman
    Free Member

If I see somebody riding a road bike. I’ll assume they are roadies.
    If I see somebody riding a Mtb. I’ll assume they are Mtb-ers.
    If I see somebody on a Bmx. Yep – I’ll assume they are Bmx-ers.

But reading this thread has kinda thrown things..

A roadie isn’t a roadie unless he is in a club, races and gets along with a former pro rider.
    Do these same rules apply to mtbers & bmxers??

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Out on the road bike last night,saw two mtb’ers at the top of Blackstone Edge behind the White House pub. Waved at them, one waved back & the other looked really shocked to be waved at by a ‘roadie’ 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I do a lot of roadying up Cannock chase as the hills are “good” for the legs and there are plenty of them. When I call in to birches valley for a coffee before the 20 miles home I often get a few funny looks but I always give a cheery hello which a lot of the time fall on deaf ears, sad really. The best looks come when I am in full winter tights.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘What defines a roadie?’ is closed to new replies.