Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What decking lights do i want…??
  • DrP

Meh…I’ve started laying some deckingat ‘home’, so i may as well do the right thing and finish it to a high standard…

Our sparkie put in a wire for some ‘low level’ lighting that’s switched from a ‘normal’ internal light switch – the cable pops out of a hole in the bottom (external) of the wall..

Most decking lights plug into a 3pin plug  – however, as mine would be switched from a lighting ring, what sort of lights would i want to install?

I’d presumably want some without a neutral, seeing as it’s on a lighting ring rather than standard plug??

I”ll txt the sparkie in the am, but value the STW input!! X

Cheers

DrP

johndoh
    Free Member

Lighting ring (5 amps???) so any lights you want really I’d say. And surely nothing comes without a neutral – it’s either live/neutral or live/neutral/earth.

Just don’t go plugging in halogen patio heaters into the circuit…

DT78
    Free Member

if it’s wired into the lighting loop you can anything that’s suitable for outdoor use.  have a search on screwfix for decking lights.  think you’ll want ip65 if it’s exposed to rain

timba
    Free Member

The cable is more likely to be a radial than a ring, i.e. a single cable. Essentially you chop the plug off and connect the two (or three) conductors together. Ideally the connections would be inside the house and you will have lost a (probably) lower-rated fuse along with the plug. Easy enough for your sparky to make sure that everything is safe and compatible

If it’s part of an existing circuit that supplies other lights then be careful not to overload that circuit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What decking lights do i want…??’ is closed to new replies.