Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What decent rear-mounted bike carrier?
  • the-muffin-man

I don’t want to spend a fortune as it will only be used a few times a year and on fairly local trips.

Has anyone used the Halfords or Decathlon ones at around £60.00?

Can’t use a towbar one as I don’t have a towbar.

exapno
    Free Member

I was forced into buying the Halfords one that carries three bikes (long story) and it’s actually ok. The foam covers and rubber straps perish too quickly for my liking but are replaceable. It straps to the back of the car easy enough and is secure. For £60 it’s been fine.

craigbroadbent
    Free Member

Be careful as lots of tailgate fitted racks do not really work on modern cars.  If you have a plastic roof spoiler then it is v.hard to attach well.  You need to ensure that the top straps do not contact the plastic as this will bend and allow the whole load to move, which is not good for spoiler, car, bikes or the traffic behind.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Remember that “can see the lights through the spokes” doesn’t count legally (ditto number plate). So if you haven’t go a towbar you might still need the electrics to run a trailer board.

matt_outandabout

What car?

matt_outandabout

Our best rear rack was Halfords Advanced High Mount – the one that has steel retaining straps, not fabric, and was high enough to clear lights and reg plate on a Touran and Passat.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/45195/halfords-advanced-rear-high-mount

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What decent rear-mounted bike carrier?’ is closed to new replies.