Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What dark side road bike for £1,000 give or take a few quid
  • withersea
    Free Member

Looking to hit the tarmac again and have started looking for a new bike. Brand not important, comfort is, I am 5 10 and have short legs 30/31″

What do you all say? Have been looking at ribble, Planet X and Dolan so far

jonk

Vitus Dark Plasma 105?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-dark-plasma-vr-105-road-bike-2013/rp-prod81024

Decent wheels, 105 groupo and nice sportive geometry.

pmc00per
    Free Member

I love my giant defy

martymac

merida cyclo cross 4?
    105 transmission, room for guards, disc brakes, not all that light, but looks the part and comes in under the magic £1k.
    needs slicks tho . .

JRTG
    Free Member

Save yourself some dosh and have a look at Canyon roadlite al 105 or apex or even more and the radon r1.0 full 105. These bikes are easily as god and way better speced than most 1k bikes from main brands. Geometry is sorted too.

LMT
    Free Member

Canyon Roadlite, even the sl with the sram apex is a great piece of kit.

I can highly recommend the Roadlite SL as thats what i currently ride, hasn’t let me down and tbh the direct approach worked well for me.

bowie278
    Free Member

Please excuse the plug but my cosuin is selling a Cube road bike, absolutely like new, 25 miles old. Have a look at the advert I’ve posted for him as he doesn’t use STW and get in touch if you’d like pictures. He’s after £1,100 and is your exact height and leg length.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-cube-agree-gtc-pro-2012-road-bike-25-miles-old-1

mboy
    Free Member

Does it have to be new? If not, then I’m currently selling a bike that will fit your budget nicely, and blow anything else away on spec and ride quality for the money, and it’s only 7 months old and has done approx 1,000 miles. High quality carbon frame/fork, full Ultegra etc.

If it’s got to be new, then Giant Defy is the obvious answer. There are plenty of other great bikes out there for that kind of money though, within reason it’s hard to buy a bad one.

withersea
    Free Member

Hi all, soooooo much choice and yes I would consider a used bike!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If it’s a dark side road bike you’re after, I’d suggest a mountain bike with slick tyres.

TiRed

Medium Giant Defy or a 54cm Cannondale CAAD8 are both good choices. Personally, I’d look at the Defy composite at Partidge Cycles at about £1000 I saw yesterday.

chakaping
    Free Member

I am 5 10 and have short legs 30/31″

I’m 31″ inside leg and an inch shorter than you.

Have loved my Boardman Team Carbon (53cm) for the last few years. Very comfy but also goes fast and handles well.

I know they are £1.3k, but they’re coming to end of the two-year model cycle.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Ribble appear to have the best combination of value for money & not peddling ancient designs (Planet X)

I’ll let you know how the Gran Fondo shapes up when it turn up!

dantsw13

What is ancient about Planet X designs? I understand people who won’t buy due to lack of test rides, but I can’t agree with that.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

old carbon layup techniques that mean they’ve been struggling to hit the numbers when it comes to the lateral stiffness/vertical compliance ratios.

some of the other manufacturers have taken on board advice from “external” experts i.e. a tennis racket manufacturer.

A combination of some hard work over winter, and these new techniques, have meant their numbers have “looked promising”

withersea
    Free Member

Fizzicist would like to hear how you get on with the ribble, when is it due to land?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

MEKK Potenza SL 5.0?

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/mekk-potenza-3g-sl-5-0-105
    Down from £1399 to £1099 with full carbon frame+fork plus full 105 drivetrain.

I’m going for a fit one one on saturday morning.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I have a Giant Defy as my good bike which is brilliant, it’s comfy and light however I’ve just got an ally Trek Domane for commuting and it’s amazingly comfortable, pretty much all road buzz is removed and pot holes aren’t pot holes anymore. It’s not that light with 105 and cheap bonty wheels but it’s the ultimate when it comes to comfort. Even if it not on your list go an try one and pretty sure it will be after that.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Trek Domane for commuting and it’s amazingly comfortable, pretty much all road buzz is removed and pot holes aren’t pot holes anymore

The marketing strong with this one is.

plus-one

Giant every time for me.. Tried many over the years but keep coming back to the tcr..

Ribble seem good value but long wait and alot of hassle(I canceled mine)

wukfit
    Free Member

Rutland cycling are doing good deals on 2013 bikes
    Ordered myself a Giant TCR
    Couldn’t resist at that price

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What dark side road bike for £1,000 give or take a few quid’ is closed to new replies.