Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What Cyclocross bike for up to £1k? (Onyourbike C2W).
  • rentachimp
    Free Member

Thiking of getting a cross bike for commuting, as I will soon be moving futher from my place of work, but not wanting to go pure road as I like mud.

Looking at Genesis Day one, but not too sure about the alfine hub’s range of gears.

Any advice appreciated,

rentachimp

brassneck

Last C2W purchase I saw was a Boardman CX, and it’s very good VFM and a great bike – as they are so freely available it’d be worth test riding for sure.
    Would think twice about not getting a pure road bike though if it’s >10 miles each way, just down to time. But I’d take 10 minutes extra on a nicer/safer commute too. Just worth considering.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/c2w-schemes-good-cx-options

I asked the same question last week. Although I was err’ing towards a Genesis, I have a feeling (and I’m awaiting a confirmation) that our scheme only uses Halfords in which case I may get a Boardman. Was looking for something steel ideally but in terms of VFM, the Boardman looks damn good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    larrydavid
    Free Member

I’ve been commuting on a Whyte Kings Cross for the last year, and a bit of off road and cyclo cross races. Commute is 15 miles each way, 3 times/week average.

I’ve replaced the tyres (wore out), BB (developed play), gear cable, brake pads, chain, cassette and chainrings (wore out – didn’t clean at all).

I can’t really complain for basically no maintenance or cleaning. The Sora group is remarkably adept at still working despite increasing muck and grunge. Wheels have stayed true as well.

Overall I’ve been very happy with it. One thing I’ve liked especially is the lack of toe overlap – it makes track stands and filtering through traffic much easier.

misterduncan
    Free Member

Giant TCX SLR2 if you can find one.

rentachimp
    Free Member

Thanks, folks.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have commuted by road bike for years. I’ve moved to an area where I can take in offroad as well as road. The Cx bike I’ve recently bought has rekindled my love of riding. My commute is so much more fun now. I’ve not touched my carbon road bike.

piesoup
    Free Member

Ive just bought a Giant TCX 2. Really like it.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve just sold a Giant TCX 2. Really liked it.

eskay

I bought a Crosslight 5T on C2W and love it! I often take the scenic ride into work over bridleways on it. I have also done a few cx races on it. It is probably my favourite bike!

Garry_Lager

I got a caadx on C2W – v impressed with it but it’s not really a commuter for me. Prefer a steel singlespeed for day in day out commuting, so something like the day one would fit the bill. If you fancied gears then a colleague has the croix der fer on C2W, not sure if that dips under a grand these days?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What Cyclocross bike for up to £1k? (Onyourbike C2W).’ is closed to new replies.