Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • what cx bike for 1k
  • Janesy
    Free Member

I’m looking franticly to buy one in the next few days.

It must have 105 or equivalent
    Avid BB7 or equivalent

The only one I can find in stock is the Norco Threshold A1.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/threshold-a1-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec053832#features

I’ve looked and called several places re the Giant and Planet X.

Any ideas?

damascus
    Free Member

This is 200 over your budget but in my opinion worth the extra money, its in the sale too in a choice of black, white or green.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1174816/products/kinesis-crosslight-pro6-2013-cyclocross-bike—black.aspx

damascus
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    federalski
    Free Member

The one that stood out for me in that price range is the 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2.
    It is not out till early next year though but does look very nice for £999

EDIT – Never seen the need to buy in next few days bit…

Janesy
    Free Member

Thanks for Suggestions:

The next few days bit is all about this:

I have a 4.5k road bike – Its getting shitty. I have 1k for a winter road bike but may do a little bit of off road. will race it etc.

I’m looking at this : http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-3000-2014/aid:692362

Over budget but great spec!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Build one.. at least you get the parts you want and don’t end up replacing tyres, pedals, bars, bar tape, seat, stem etc. I built a kinesis pro6 up with 105 chainset, Trp Spyres brakes, hope wheels, salsa bars etc for under £1k

Otherwise.. Boardman cx, cube cx looks nice, planet x cx carbon jobby

MikeWW
    Free Member

Janesy – Member
    Thanks for Suggestions:

The next few days bit is all about this:

I have a 4.5k road bike – Its getting shitty. I have 1k for a winter road bike but may do a little bit of off road. will race it etc.

I’m looking at this : http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-3000-2014/aid:692362

Over budget but great spec!

Looks very nice and as you say great spec

jeffm
    Free Member

I have a boardman cx that I’ve upgraded the brakes and running a pair of stans ironcross wheels and it’s great.
    Old wheels have commuting tyres on.
    Works out at about a grand.

monksie
    Free Member
    MoreCashThanDash

Pinnacle Arkrose 3

benji
    Free Member

JE James have some good deals on Kona Jake the Snakes from last year depending what size you need/want.

That Giant has been released, seen one in the metal, looks lovely, they just didn’t get enough on the boat to satisfy demand.

MrGFisher
    Free Member

I ordered one of those Giants to replace an older TCX, I’m being told Feb for delivery.

mjrose
    Free Member

That’s weird – I’ve been told end of Novemember for the giant, although I did order it a month or so ago now….

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Maybe sizing? I’m after a medium.

mjrose
    Free Member

I’ve ordered the intermediate size ‘M/L’

andypaul99
    Free Member

I really like the look of this badboy, but have no experience of this brand..

£1000 at Evans

anybody got one?

adampridmore
    Free Member

I got one of these a few months ago, and it still puts a big smiles on my face when I ride it:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLS105/planet_x_xls_shimano_105_cyclocross_bike

£1,000 delivered. Carbon frame and fork, Shimano 105 groupset and BB7 brakes.

Jamie
    Free Member

I had one of the Giant SLR 2s last month, as the small model came in first. Very nice bike, but the finish was bobbins, so went back. Sadly the next shipment was next year, so just got a refund rather than a replacement.

For the price it is hard to beat, but bear in mind it is a meant as a race weapon, and less of an allrounder. For that category, I would say the Pinnacle Arkose has it nailed with the 2014 model coming with BB7 SLs, full carbon fork and 105 gearing.

damascus
    Free Member

Have you looked at the new canyon range of disc road bikes and CX bikes?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Well my money would be on this.

iainc
    MrGFisher
    Free Member

Jamie, do you mind me asking how tall you are? I’ve noticed the giants sizing seems to have shrunk quite a bit from last year.

Jamie
    Free Member

I tower over mere mortals at a colossal 5’7″.

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Thanks, I seem to sit between sizes according to giants charts.

Janesy
    Free Member

All good bikes, I liked the Norco from Evans but went for the higher speced Rose.

Jamie
    Free Member

That Rose is fantastic money for the price. I looked at it myself, but despite it being £1300 for all that kit, I really couldn’t go over £1k.

Starting to think I should have rented out a kidney…

frazered
    Free Member

Does that Planet X xls have mudguard mounts ?

tomd
    Free Member

Ridley X fire or Merida CX 4

househusband
    Free Member

I put down a 10% deposit on the Giant TCX SLR2 last week after getting to have a sit on one of the few in the UK for sizing; one of the LBS’s sponsored riders has one. I’m 6’1″ (was 6’2″ but have shrunk as I enter my mid-40’s) and have gone for the M/L.

Went for the Giant as it has the 105 kit, the squeeze-from-both-sides brakes, and the fact that I can use some spare 29er wheels (with 15mm axle) with it!

Am happy/patient to wait until February.

Jamie
    Free Member

The SLR 2 has standard qr. Only the SLR 1 and Advances have the 15mm axle.

househusband
    Free Member

The SLR 2 has standard qr. Only the SLR 1 and Advances have the 15mm axle.

Arse.

Jamie
    Free Member

Giant don’t really make it clear in the literature/marketing for some reason.

househusband
    Free Member

Ach well, I’ll get one of those 15mm to Q/R adapters.

Still happy with what I’ve put my deposit down on and the LBS offered me a great price. Only other alternative was the ‘dale CAADX and there aren’t any dealers close, nor is anticipated delivery for them any better.

Jamie
    Free Member

I made the same choice, HH. I was put off the CAAAAAAAADX due to the Promax brakes, and….I’m ashamed to admit, the amount of bloody decals on the thing.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That Giant looks stunning for under a grand, very nice!

Conqueror
    Free Member

That Rose and Norco threshold look decent…

Have you received the rose yet?

Has anybody got the threshold?

smokey_jo

Running a Saracen urban Hack 2 here with those promax discs, they’re no worse than bb5’s and use Shimano pads.

Will need p clips for front guard but loads of clearance, Tiagra 10 speed for less than £700!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘what cx bike for 1k’ is closed to new replies.