Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What CX bike?
  • chrispy

Hi all,

Just moved to Abergavenny so thought getting a cx bike would be good for riding along the canals, poorly surfaced roads etc.
    I have a budget of around £1500.
    So far I like the look of the giant tcx slr 1 for £1750 or the focus mares al 105 which is a bit cheaper.
    I’m not really sure what you are paying for with the giant over say a boardman other than I know I like how it looks more and I’m guessing it’ll be lighter.

Thanks!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cotic Escapade

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve just bought an On One Pickenflick. On offer at £1500 down from £1999. Titanium frame, SRAM Force groupset with hydro disc. Awesome bike

welshfarmer

Hi Crispy

welcome to my local town. 3 of my local MTB riding group have just also invested in CX/gravel type bikes. Between us there is a Raleigh Roker Pro, a White Friston and a Saracen Hack-in-black. Too early to debate pros and cons of each yet as none have done more than a ride or 2. I was looking for a while and the Focus Mares was definitely on my wish list. Why not pop into the bike shop in town and ask to speak with Argo. He rides CX and has a lot of experience in what is hot and what’s not.

PS If you fancy a ride let me know, we are out almost every Wednesday evening locally and most weekends local or further afield

PS the Whyte Friston comes in exactly on budget so maybe worth a look

mooman
    Free Member

Some good deals still around on cannondale superx’s

chrispy

Hi welshfarmer,

I am very keen to join with the Wednesday ride but will spend a few weeks getting my fitness back to a better level first.
    I did pop into gateway and left more confused than when I went in as there were so many choices. The main reason I am looking as the focus or giant is that I can get them from the shop with a bikefit and I want to support my new lbs.

Jase
    Free Member

I have a Giant and the frame weighs 1350 so definitely good enough to upgrade as you go along. I changed the wheels straight away as they weighed about 2.2kg.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The 2016 tcx slr1 is heavily reduced to closer to 1300 at a few outlets such as Rutland Cycling.

Mate has a Norco which he moved to from a Giant TCX and prefers, he just didn’t gel with the Giant.

I’ve got a SuperX and whilst I rate it (unless you’re looking at the new revised 2017 version) I can’t recommend it as the mud clearance at the BB/chainstays is appalling, real designed in California lifted straight from a road bike stuff. A fundamental flaw for CX and spoils an otherwise terrific bike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I want to support my new lbs.

Good for you !

PS I had my Cotic BFe frame delivered to lbs for them to build up but appreciate a full bike purchase may be easier

TiRed

Have a Boardman, and aside from the higher bottom bracket it’s basically a road bike with better mud clearance. I’ve not ridden it off road, but it is an excellent bike. Also have a titanium Charge Freezer. Much lighter and running 1×10. This is much more suited to canal paths.

Neither have discs. I haven’t died yet.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the Whyte Friston and Gisburn, but the 1×11 is the only thing putting me off. I have 2×11 on my current Whyte Saxon and I use all the gears every ride.

roach

Any good frame only deals about?

thepodge
    Free Member

There is a nice Cotic Escapade in the classifieds

chrispy

So many options – it really is mind boggling. At least with mtb I know more about what I want.
    The other option was a lightweight hardtail but I think a CX bike would be more fun as I have a decent full sus and road bike already.

ahsat

Rose Pro DX Cross 3000. Ultegra, hydraulic disc brakes (great off-road), good mud clearance. £1600 delivered with ability to change spec in all areas to customise to your taste. Had mine stolen in August and would give my right arm to be able to afford to replace it (house buying means it hasn’t been an option).

Xylene
    Free Member

Shop in Newcastle had the orange frame for 199. Can’t they name though

vincienup
    Free Member

Kinesis Crosslight 5Tdisc. I’ve an old Cotic X which is very similar to the Escapade.

The Crosslight destroys it in every aspect. I’m a Cotic fanboi and my Crosslight has a Solaris stood next to it right now. I enjoyed my X, but the Kinesis is like jumping out of a family hatch into a proper sports car.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

To be honest there are very few bikes (if any) that won’t ride along canal towpaths and poorly surfaced roads. I do this on a 3 Speed Dutch town-bike and whistle all the way.

1500 quids puts you in reach of a very wide-range of bikes from heads-down-arse-up budget CX racers to all-week comfortable disc-equipped touring bikes.

For leisure/keep-fit and gnarly back-lane touring I have finally went for the jack-of-all trades Genesis Vagabond as my riding needs and preferences are best served by an ‘all terrain’ bike with a bias towards wider-tyres, overall simplicity, comfort. And (as it turnedout) – a butted steel frame set, a decision informed by past bikes/preference. I wasn’t consciously looking to buy ‘CX’ I just saw the bike outside an LBC on my way to trying an MTB – and thought ‘that looks like it does what I want a bike to do’.

Like yourself I knew what I wanted a bike to do, but a demo-weekend is what persuaded me to go for a Vagabond. Other bikes I was looking at before trying it: Raleigh Mustang, Spesh AWOL, Genesis Longitude, Raleigh Royal.

As planned I tried a short demo on the Longitude and loved it but knowing I spend a lot of time on back roads it had to be shelved as couldn’t really afford one bike letalone N+. Then tried a long demo on the Vagabond and it just felt like the proverbial glove. Lucky!

I would go and test-ride some bikes if at all possible. Ideally try a CX racer and an ‘adventure’ type tourer at least to compare lightweight/aggressive vs comfort/utility. You might like something inbetween. But I definitely recommend trying before buying. I’ve only ever gotten a long demo ride once but so far it’s turned out to be the best bike purchase decision I ever made. Extra bonus – coming in under a grand ideally frees up money for some bike-packing kit that people buying such bikes would normally use.

So, in short I recommend think harder about what you want from a bike then try some out throw ia few wild cards though as it turned out my ‘wild card’ demo was ultimately the right one!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Edit

Other bikes/options I was looking at: Raleigh Mustang Comp (ex-demo), Spesh AWOL, Genesis Longitude, Raleigh Royal (bargain basement cash option just to get me touring), Boardman CX, CdF, used Fargo, used Vaya, used (discontinued) Dawes Sardar (Reynolds tubing, disc, drops), Surly LHT, and last of all converting my retro M-Trax hybrid to disc.

OP – forgot to say all the best for you in yr new home in Abergavenny, I head out that way to the Brecons quite often it’s a lovely part of the world. Even if your cheese is soft and full of lead shot 🙂

TheGingerOne

Nothing wrong with the Kona range either. Pleased with my 2017 Jake the Snake. Aluminium frame, 105 gearing, cable disks, tubeless ready wheels

Digger90
    Free Member

My Planet X XLS Medium for half your budget?

See ad here if interested… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/planet-x-xls-size-54cms-medium

chrispy

Thanks for the input Malvern rider. I agree that test riding is a good idea and I have also been toying with the idea of getting a genesis too.
    I think I might end up lowering my budget fairly significantly just to see how I get on with that style of bike and then if I do like it or want to start racing I can get something better / lighter etc.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I think I might end up lowering my budget fairly significantly just to see how I get on with that style of bike

There was an Arkose 2 in the classifieds yesterday. I’d be sorely tempted…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What CX bike?’ is closed to new replies.