Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What cross bike do I want? (N+1 content)
  • Superficial
    Free Member

So I’ve pretty much decided I want a cyclo-cross bike to replace my battered old commuter road bike – an old heavy alu lump that somehow refuses to die (despite my hands-off attitude to maintenance). The main reason for upgrading is I’d like something lighter (the bike above weighs 13.5kg with rack+mudguards!) and the ability to run bigger tyres (I max out at 25mm). I’ve had to commute in snow a few times this winter and 23mm slicks / rim brakes is a bit… silly. I don’t see myself racing but I do potentially see myself going off-road, although the main use will be on road. My current bike is uninspiring and uncomfortable to ride for more than a few miles. I have a summer road bike for ‘proper’ miles so I don’t anticipate doing road centuries or anything like that on this bike.

Things I definitely want
    Drop bars
    Clearance for at least 28mm tyres, maybe 32mm?
    Mudguards
    Some way to mount a rack
    Discs

Things I think I want
    Hydro disc brakes? This would require a hike in budget for sure

Things I don’t want
    Anything too blingy that I’d be afraid to leave locked up

Budget: Not sure. Probably around £800-1000, ideally less.

What I don’t know is whether I should be getting a traditional cross bike or one of these new breed of cross/commuters. Maybe a Kaffenback? I’m unclear what are the relative merits of all these different subtypes really.

Bikes I have looked at
    Kaffenback
    London Road
    XLS / Disco no mudguard mounts
    Ribble no discs
    Boardman a bit common 😛 , heavy for the comp model, no proper mudguard mounts on the team
    Genesis Croix de Fer, CDF. Quite heavy, expensive, looks nice. Not entirely ruled out.
    Giant – the TCX looks nice but no rack mounts, the Revolt and Anyroad look a bit… nooby.

Any other suggestions?

womp
    Free Member

I have ordered a rose CX disc for my commuter and winter road bike

Hydros and mudguards, great price at the moment with the euro on its ass (prices start at £880)

CX trim

Commuter trim

ceepers

Charge plug
    Pinnacle arkose
    Cotic escapade
    Verenti substance

Even decent cable discs are a massive step up from rim brakes in the wet

Drac

STW sister forum might be able to help with this one.

http://grit.cx/forum

househusband

Cannondale CAADX..? Has all the mounts you’ve specified.

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Cannondale_CAADX.html

Give them a ring for their ‘everyday low price’ and save up for hydro’s if you really have to have them.

wwaswas

Bearded man is doing van dessel wtf’s cheap at the moment.

chakaping
    Free Member

Where’s Jamie when you need him?

samuri
    Free Member

Genesis Day One Alfine?

I’ve had my day one for 3 years now, still love it, still going strong.

inbred853

I’m dithering between a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Norco Threshold A1, been to look at both of them in Evans, really need a to book a test ride sometime.

mdauv
    Free Member

I’m looking for a bike similar to your requirements.

Right now I’m mainly looking at the ROSE PRO DX CROSS-2000, and the Genesis One Alfine. But I can’t seem to make up my mind.

benp1

Pinnacle arkose?

Your requirements are basically what mine are, just a few months ahead of me

Superficial
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Will have a look at the options in the flesh before deciding. I wasn’t too impressed when I looked at Pinnacle road bikes a few years ago – they were just very generic things, but I like the look of the Arkose a lot more.

I think I want steel though, if only from an aesthetic perspective. 😳

P.S.

I can’t decide if I like the look of this. Definitely a bit different.

Xylene
    Free Member

I realy like the Eastway CX2.0 I bought. Although Eastway seem to have been bought up by Wiggle now, and are planning a relaunch in September.

Value for money, it was great about 680quid all in.

May still have some for sale or their carbon version.

rp16v
    Free Member

Just to put it back in the mix the tcx has got rack mounts they mount to the back of the seat clamp that comes with the bike

sv

Vitus Energie CX or Grit version.

abingham

I use a 2011 Ridley X-Ride for commuting. Picked it up used For under £300 so plenty of £ left over for modifying to taste. Aluminium frame and carbon fork about 8kg with Mavic Ksyriums. Solid frame, nice 105 groupset, all round tasty set-up!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What cross bike do I want? (N+1 content)’ is closed to new replies.